Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

do people really expect to see Petrov go from Captain virtual ever present to bench warmer? I expect MON to make changes in other areas personally. He clearly rates Petrov a lot higher than most on here.

Yup, truth. He'll still be starting next year.

I can see a line up of something like;

---Milner-----Petrov-----Parker---

Young----------------------Downing

---------------Gabby----------------

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do people really expect to see Petrov go from Captain virtual ever present to bench warmer? I expect MON to make changes in other areas personally. He clearly rates Petrov a lot higher than most on here.

Yup, truth. He'll still be starting next year.

I can see a line up of something like;

---Milner-----Petrov-----Parker---

Young----------------------Downing

---------------Gabby----------------

I wouldn't mind Stan playing in a 3 man CM but he hasn't got the engine to do more than a half in a 4-4-2 and give us the tempo we need.

I really like Scot Parker but wouldn't want to sign him as he will cost a lot of money for a 30 yo who does have a track record of injuries?

People are obsessed with finishing 4th. Yes it is extra money (only if you can stay in the competition) and you can attract higher calibre players, but personally i'd like to see us cement ourselves as a top 5/6 (which we have done the last 3 seasons) club AND in Europe.

I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. To be honest if we had got the Champions League spot this season we wouldn't have got very far. Sounds pessimistic i know.

I just want progress and better players and the 4th spot is the quickest way to do this. It's the ability to attract better players more than anything that 4th provides as we will see at spurzzzz.

To cement 5/6 th place means we are going to need to finish higher than Liverpool again and to make any sort of progress for the previous years and years of trying higher than Man City. Who spends the most is not a good gauge always but I am pretty certain both of these clubs will blow us out the water in the summer money wise and this will unfortunately be evident in 12 months time imo.

I think we could do a lot worse than look at the best of the relegated sides for an indicater as to new signings. We do always seem to pick up at least 1 or 2 signings from these teams every season. Last year it was Beye from Newcastle & Downing from Middlesborough.... So .. Who went down?

Hull City

Burnley

Portsmouth

Now who are their best players?

Selling Young, Beye and Shorey will leave us with Warnock and Cuellar as our only full back options. Oh dear.

And selling NRC and Sidwell would leave us with Milner, Petrov and Delph who's broken until Xmas as out central midfield options.

I think I'd like us for once to actually sign some players in those positions first before actually selling some of those players.

Yes but at 31 and if we're going to continue playing 4-4-2 next season can you really see him lasting the full season as he was knackered by March this season and he'll be a year older.

I think we could do a lot worse than look at the best of the relegated sides. We do always seem to pick up at least 1 or 2 signings from these teams every season. Last year it was Beye from Newcastle & Downing from Middlesborough.... So .. Who went down?

Hull City

Burnley

Portsmouth

Yeah, there's a thread for this in "Other Football". I think the general shouts were for Bullard (Hull), Fletcher (Burnley) and Kevin-Prince Boateng (Pompey).

I'd like all 3 of them at Villa but only as bench warmers/ rotation players (which wouldn't be a bad idea if they were to replace Sidwell, Harewood and NRC).

I'd much prefer the idea of bringing on Bullard for 40 minutes, to control the midfield and take a few long shots at goal, than bringing on Sidwell to hoof the ball into the crowd with every touch.

Ok, my fantasy signings for this summer:

Carrick to give Petrov some competition

Benayoun or J. Cole. Cole is on a free I've heard. Worth a shout but might demand some good money in wages

Richards, always rated him.

Pjanic, mostly because a bosnian at my work keeps on talking about him and how he'd love to see him in Villa. Says they comparing him with MVB in his style of play. Would be more than half decent if half as good.

I think we could do a lot worse than look at the best of the relegated sides. We do always seem to pick up at least 1 or 2 signings from these teams every season. Last year it was Beye from Newcastle & Downing from Middlesborough.... So .. Who went down?

Hull City

Burnley

Portsmouth

Yeah, there's a thread for this in "Other Football". I think the general shouts were for Bullard (Hull), Fletcher (Burnley) and Kevin-Prince Boateng (Pompey).

I'd like all 3 of them at Villa but only as bench warmers/ rotation players (which wouldn't be a bad idea if they were to replace Sidwell, Harewood and NRC).

I'd much prefer the idea of bringing on Bullard for 40 minutes, to control the midfield and take a few long shots at goal, than bringing on Sidwell to hoof the ball into the crowd with every touch.

Thats it then!... I'll go & put tenner on those 3 & be guaranteed to get at least 1 win :lol:

If the rumours are true and we are listening to offers for 6 players then Bullard, Fletcher & Kevin-Prince Boateng would be decent, cut-price replacements for some of the squaddies.

Fletcher for Harewood

Bullard for Sidwell

KP Boateng for NRC

People touting sidwell for 4 million? Please tell me your joking we will be lucky to get a single liquorice allsort for the bloke.

With Bouma retiring we cant exactly sell shorey and young can we? it would leave us weak again in the fullback department as Young fills in as LB cover also.

Curtis Davies is a dodgy one could turn into one of those transfer deals that we might regret i remember when he first joined us and broke into the england squad then got injured if we could get that player back the same one that dominated in the game at the emirates against Arsenal no way in hell i would sell him. Then again the performance against Leicester in the cup.... a tricky one

I feel sorry for NRC never been given a chance really its quite clear MON doesnt like the guy i remember seeing him in the FA cup final against liverpool and thought he was going to become some player it has not come to pass though.

If the rumours are true and we are listening to offers for 6 players then Bullard, Fletcher & Kevin-Prince Boateng would be decent, cut-price replacements for some of the squaddies.

Fletcher for Harewood

Bullard for Sidwell

KP Boateng for NRC

With the exception of NRC that is just replacing chaff with more chaff.

Okay I'll pipe in here with my wish list:

Micah Richards

Scott Parker or Michael Carrick (I've read Ferguson is looking to sell)

Stephen Ireland

Matty Fryatt (a cheaper option than Kevin Doyle and I've always liked the look of him)

And another striker...**** if I know who though

I'd sell-

Cuellar

Beye

Sidwell

Heskey

Fletcher for Harewood

Bullard for Sidwell

KP Boateng for NRC

With the exception of NRC that is just replacing chaff with more chaff.

In my opinion they'd all be good buys and would cost less than the players we're rumoured to get rid of.

Fletcher is young and has done well in a poor Burnley team. He's a more natural finisher than Gabby (but without the pace and experience).

Bullard can score penalties, long range efforts and is really good at controlling the game from the centre of midfield.

I'd much prefer Bullard to replace Petrov on 60 minutes to help us see out a game/ sustain a win than seeing Sidwell brought on.

Do you disagree?

In my opinion they'd all be good buys and would cost less than the players we're rumoured to get rid of.

Fletcher is young and has done well in a poor Burnley team. He's a more natural finisher than Gabby (but without the pace and experience).

Bullard can score penalties, long range efforts and is really good at controlling the game from the centre of midfield.

I'd much prefer Bullard to replace Petrov on 60 minutes to help us see out a game/ sustain a win than seeing Sidwell brought on.

Do you disagree?

Agree with Bullard - great player - but don't see him as a replacement for Stan as I don't think he is a holding CM'er. He could be a great option on the bench/in the squad BUT would he ever be fit??

Wouldn't mind Fletcher. I think he looks a useful striker. Would expect him to be third or fourth choice for us though but would personally prefer Doyle, budget permitting.

KPB and O'Hara would both be decent recruits as back up and much better than Sidwell IMO, although I was hoping for someone like Dorrans - younger and more ability.

I suppose it all depends upon budget and what formation we are looking to play next year - I would personally model our side on 4-3-3/4-5-1 with 4-4-2 as our plan B, i.e. a big striker such as Carew to come of the bench for the last 20 as he did against Blues A, on the bench alongside Gabby and say Kevin Doyle who could be rotated. I would expect Milner to play much further forward and be our 20 goal a season ACM.

Why would we be interested in this Fletcher bloke when Kris Boyd is a available on a free and seems like a similar kind of player but with a superior goal scoring record? Or is him to blues a done deal

Kris Boyd on a free? I wouldn't say no. He's 26 so got a good few years left in him, and he's scored something like 160 goals in 300 career games. That's like 1 goal every 1.8 games. Yes it was in the SPL, but it's still an awesome ratio.

(Joe) Cole is on a free I've heard. Worth a shout but might demand some good money in wages.

He's after £30m over 5 years according to the dear old Daily Mail - £120,000 a week.

He'll go to Spuds then.

This was posted on the "Who do you expect to leave this summer" thread.

Here...

Maybe it's more suited to this thread.

IMO I think players that may not be with us next season will consist of:-

Beye, Shorey, Osbourne, Salifou, Sidwell, NRC, Harewood, Marshall, Heskey, MAYBE Bouma & Carew too.

This is no reflection that i want them to leave or go for whatever reason it's just solely who may not be here come next season.

After posting this 2 months ago it still looks possible but now with Luke Young and Curtis Davies added too. (Carew might stay though...i hope)

With the players mentioned for departing we may be lucky to get 14m for these 11/12 players but it is the kind of overhaul that we need.

(Except L.Young & Carew) i can't see what any of the rest offer to our first team tbh, and it will free up some amount on wages too.

If we are to replace those players and get back up to a squad of 22 players for the season that is required then there is also going to have to be some good money spent and on some good Quality players (9 or 10 of them) if we are to push on once again to try and break the top 4 (aswell as cope with league/cup comps, injuries & Suspensions).

I will trust the General on saying that Randy Lerner is willing to spend, and i would agree that he will back MON once again once the squad has been overhauled, but what will be spent on bringing in new faces will need to be higher than MON's average 20m net spend each season.

That's only our back ups gone from:

LB

RB

CM x 2 (although I think we would be mad to sell NRC and he should be starting in front of Stan)

CF x 1 or 2 if JC goes.

Where does the nine or ten replacements come from? I would have thought:

- back up RB and LB

- 1 or 2 CM's

- 1 or 2 strikers

- 1 wide player

Maximum of 7 needed?

I will meet you halfway and agree on 8. :)

I do agree with you on most of what you have said.

Obviously we have Delph but he won't be fit in time for next season so i agree that 2 CM are needed as i cannot see NRC staying tbh.

_____________ Freidel _____________

_____________ Guzan _____________

Cuellar ___ Collins ___ Dunne ___ Warnock

??????? ____ ????? ___ ?????? ____ ??????

Downing ___ Milner ____ Petrov ____ A. Young

???????? ___ ?????? ____ ????? _____ ???????

_______ Agbonlahor ____ ???????________

_______ Delfouneso _____ Carew?_______

Now wether Cuellar plays the whole of next season at right back again then we will require 2 more CB's and 1 RB or 2 RB's and 1 CB depending where he plays.

Depending what role Albrighton will have then possibly another right wing player aswell.

I think it is fair to say that of the new faces that will join the club they need to be the same quality as the first team that we have now or better.

I Mean there is no point replacing Heskey with a Carlton Cole or Sidwell with a Jermaine Jenas.

Here is a current bunch of PL players that i have drawn up..

RB G.Johnson

CB M.Richards

CB Hangeland

MR Kuyt

MR Wright Phillips

MC Ireland

MC O'Hara

ST Doyle

ST D.Bent

My view is that they are realistic and obtainable signings and each wouldn't cost that much. (you do pay for quality)

They are all at clubs in the PL and apart from 2 of them they are all British players. (The MON trend)

The question is would any of you like to see any of these players arrive at Villa this season.

Thoughts please...