• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey (for Carew 70)

I honestly cant see what all the fuss is about.

It is a simple question.

Whether he touched, and I think it is more correct to say, brushed against, the ball.

If he hadn't have brought Gabby down, would Gabby have got the ball.

Ansewr - 100% yes ! - Penalty - end of.

If he had cleared the ball, that is different. But he didn't , he touched th eball, but it did not change the direction, nor speed of the ball - he then stopped Gabby getting to that ball. Its bloody clear, and all this is from Andy "I can't stand the Villa and am so bitter they never offerred me the managers job" Gray's usual biased crap.

There bleating is disgusting and should get bans and fines for a hell of a lot of the management and players.

I can actually understand the Carr one, heat of moment stuff - but McLeish telling the ref to F off - that is inexcusable and just confirms what complete and utter pond life they really are.

Dont give a crap whether the derby adds something or not - the day they go back where they belong will be a happy day for me.

I still think it was not a pen but I understand why it was given as the ball still went in the same direction as travel from the refs point of view Agbonlahor won it.

However the rules state even if a defender wins the ball it is a foul if the player takes the man and that is the debate in this instance did Johnson intend to take Agbonlahor.

They where far worse tackles outside the box during games that did not lead to free kicks.

It was not an obvious mistake but it was a mistake thanks to that refs interpretation of the rules. On another day and another ref we may not of got the pen. I am not worried about ref making certain decision as long as they are consistent and as I said with worse tackles being committed with no punishment Martin Atkinson was not.

Just look at the Portsmouth game last week both the pen we did not have when Vanden Borre fouled Agbonlahor was a pen but was not given and then the pen we did get was in between the Johnson and Vanden Boore tackles.

We got pens for the less obvious pens but did not get one for the most obvious decision.

If like they are arguing, you only have to touch the ball then it cannot be a foul, then are you allowed to give the ball the slightest touch with your boot and then uppercut him. It's not a foul cos you touched the ball afterall.

Thought the game typified our performances this season. Played well for the first 25 minutes and it then all went to pot after that. Couldn't believe the space left in the middle sometimes and if we'd been up against better, we would have paid for it. As it is it was only them down the road so we got the win against the run of play.

Freidal was magnifico and needed to be. Gab held the ball up well when he got it but Carew was pretty poor and on that performance, young Martin might just be thinkin about gettin rid at the end of the season.

Cuellar should be shot the next time he is seen at RB. Even though the fella got into good positions, his distribution was awful and that is lettin us down big time on the right when most of our play ends up there. Whats wrong with giving Luke Young a game there Young Martin. The manager must be seeing something in training that we don't know about concerning Luke Young, but he has to be better than Cuellar.

Thought Warnock again did himself no favours in front of Capello and is obviously struggling for form after injury. His Everton counterpart will now go to the world cup instead.

Ashley Young and Downing were also poor and will probably spend the summer on the beach. Not so good for them but better for us as they will get a rest before next season starts.

Petrov and Milner again showed that the balance is not right in midfield and we will need new additions there in the summer. Petrov needs replacing with a playmaker to compliment Jimmy.

Dunne and Collins were solid, if unspectecular and i would still like to see one or the other trying to take the ball out of defence a bit more to connect with our midfield.

Overall a welcome if undeserved win against the blighters down the road and now for Man Shitty.

He gave Luke Young a game there - we lost 7-1

What about 0-1 at Old Trafford?

Thought the game typified our performances this season. Played well for the first 25 minutes and it then all went to pot after that. Couldn't believe the space left in the middle sometimes and if we'd been up against better, we would have paid for it. As it is it was only them down the road so we got the win against the run of play.

Freidal was magnifico and needed to be. Gab held the ball up well when he got it but Carew was pretty poor and on that performance, young Martin might just be thinkin about gettin rid at the end of the season.

Cuellar should be shot the next time he is seen at RB. Even though the fella got into good positions, his distribution was awful and that is lettin us down big time on the right when most of our play ends up there. Whats wrong with giving Luke Young a game there Young Martin. The manager must be seeing something in training that we don't know about concerning Luke Young, but he has to be better than Cuellar.

Thought Warnock again did himself no favours in front of Capello and is obviously struggling for form after injury. His Everton counterpart will now go to the world cup instead.

Ashley Young and Downing were also poor and will probably spend the summer on the beach. Not so good for them but better for us as they will get a rest before next season starts.

Petrov and Milner again showed that the balance is not right in midfield and we will need new additions there in the summer. Petrov needs replacing with a playmaker to compliment Jimmy.

Dunne and Collins were solid, if unspectecular and i would still like to see one or the other trying to take the ball out of defence a bit more to connect with our midfield.

Overall a welcome if undeserved win against the blighters down the road and now for Man Shitty.

He gave Luke Young a game there - we lost 7-1

Can't believe man you are blaming Luke Young for that defeat. :shock:

I still think it was not a pen but I understand why it was given as the ball still went in the same direction as travel from the refs point of view Agbonlahor won it.

However the rules state even if a defender wins the ball it is a foul if the player takes the man and that is the debate in this instance did Johnson intend to take Agbonlahor.

They where far worse tackles outside the box during games that did not lead to free kicks.

It was not an obvious mistake but it was a mistake thanks to that refs interpretation of the rules. On another day and another ref we may not of got the pen. I am not worried about ref making certain decision as long as they are consistent and as I said with worse tackles being committed with no punishment Martin Atkinson was not.

Just look at the Portsmouth game last week both the pen we did not have when Vanden Borre fouled Agbonlahor was a pen but was not given and then the pen we did get was in between the Johnson and Vanden Boore tackles.

We got pens for the less obvious pens but did not get one for the most obvious decision.

Would you like to explain why it was a mistake? According to the rules, it was a foul.

Great piece on Vital Wigan site, particularly like the quote from McLeish:

Moaning Brum Bitten on the Bum

I don`t usually comment on decisions in games that don`t affect Wigan Athletic, I usually just watch and enjoy but the Aston Villa Birmingham game has left me a trifle confused.

Late in the game (82nd minute) with the score at 0-0 Agbonlahor races into the Birmingham box with the ball at his feet, Birmingham defender Johnson slides in from behind and brings down Agbonlahor, the referee gives a penalty 1-0 Villa.

A spot on decision but what a fuss that followed!!!

First off the Birmingham players surround the referee, Johnson screaming at his face about his innocence, mind you it`s the same Johnson who screamed at a ref at the DW Stadium earlier this season in an attempt to get Hugo Rodallega sent off for an innocuous challenge, so shouldn`t be too surprised.

At the final whistle the Birmingham players were at it again pointing their fingers at and surrounding the referee and his assistant and Brum boss Alec McLeish had a go as well.

After the game Sky pundit Andy Gray tried his best to convince the world that Johnson had got the ball and it wasn`t a penalty, what?

Gray slowed the replay down, moved the camera angle from the front to the side to the back and still it looked 100% a penalty, then he brought up the referees position which was directly in line and said `if he isn`t sure he shouldn`t have given it`, again what?

He got the ball says Johnson, Brum skipper Carr, boss McLeish and pundit Gray, I say Johnson`s stud almost brushed the ball and he got Agbonlahor, the ball neither sped up or changed direction and he bundled into the Villa player who was heading towards goal, a stonewall penalty.

I must admit I enjoyed watching the Birmingham players anguish and I felt a little retribution for what happened at St. Andrews when the Latics visited in February and got done by the dodgiest of dodgy penalty decisions after Mario Melchiot was adjudged to have brought down Fahey when it was clear that he was at least a yard away from the Irish Olympic diving champion

I remember McLeish at the time saying 'even if there was no contact Melchiot should know better than to challenge there`, well back at you, though there was definitely contact today.

Birmingham have won many plaudits this season for the way they have played, thuggish bullying tactics that have seen them spoil their way to 9th spot in the table and scoring just a paltry 35 goals along the way, revenge is a dish best served cold, nice one Villa and Mr Attkinson.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=196469#ixzz0mCQtQrmC

HA like that.

Penalty discussed at some length on TalkSport this evening, including some pro referee interviews.

Conclusion? Penalty all the way.

The thing is, i've got from thinking it wasn't a penalty to thinking it was. Either way i don't give a shit, we should of had one against Chelsea and 4 against Pompey. Blues moaning because they came close to getting a whole point from us. Big Ecks behaviour after was a disgrace, swearing at the referee. And Ridgewells grown up i see, refusing to shake the refs hand.

I was listening that and Goughs arguments were ridiculous, basically saying it wasn't a penalty but then said the rules state it was, contradicted himself, he should stick to cricket!

Given up listening to that garbage now! They just argue amongst themselves to get people to ring in and back them. Of course that costs a national rate 10 -15 pence a minute.

I was listening that and Goughs arguments were ridiculous, basically saying it wasn't a penalty but then said the rules state it was, contradicted himself, he should stick to cricket!

Given up listening to that garbage now! They just argue amongst themselves to get people to ring in and back them. Of course that costs a national rate 10 -15 pence a minute.

I have as well on the whole but flick through channels when driving around- I understand their job is to provoke reaction amongst fans to open debate but some of their bullshit diatribes are too f**king ridiculous to comprehend.

Yesterday, I think it was Danter or Durham (both cocks of the highest order) when talking about the England WC squad said 'Milner - totally over rated and not worth mentioning' - hmmm - who picked up young PFA player of the year??? How many awards have their 'pundits' won??

Talksport is shameful radio that exploits all the jocks (who seem to be the only ones able to get on the phone!!) and plastic fans!

I don't think it is a playmaker we need next to Milner. We need a Makelele. We need steel. Shame NRC isn't getting playing time, but that is another issue. MON tried to make him a defensive midfielder, but it seems like it is not working out between those two...

I don't think it is a playmaker we need next to Milner. We need a Makelele. We need steel. Shame NRC isn't getting playing time, but that is another issue. MON tried to make him a defensive midfielder, but it seems like it is not working out between those two...

Agree 90%. Would love to NRC and Milner play a couple of games. I don't think the Chelski Makalele would be any good in a 4-4-2 as he is too slow and needs to be in a 3. We need a more athletic counterpart for Jimmy if MON is going to insist on 4-4-2.