What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Another season at Villa won't do him any harm at all.

It might cost us £15m though.

It wouldn't do him any harm but it might harm the club. If he doesn't sign a new deal this summer he has to go. It's a shame, but I think that's the truth.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't do him any harm but it might harm the club. If he doesn't sign a new deal this summer he has to go. It's a shame, but I think that's the truth.

I think you're right and would hope that this is being considered by MON and Randy. I guess it'll all come down to what Milner wants to do.

I think you're right and would hope that this is being considered by MON and Randy. I guess it'll all come down to what Milner wants to do.

Keeping Barry for another year cost Villa around £6m as he went from two to one contract year remaining; a price Randy and MON decided was worth paying. Keeping Milner for another year on the same contract could cost Villa around £15m. In the event of Milner not signing an extended contract this summer, I suspect Randy and MON would rather cash in than see Milner's value half next year.

Even worse, imagine Milner leaving on a free in 2012! :shock:

Can i be the first to say... WTF? I wasn't aware A CL club had bid for him. People were moaning about us paying 12m for him and now he's the dogs bollocks? Another season at Villa won't do him any harm at all.

He owes Villa and MON IMO and £70k pw and a crack at Europa and CL qualification is not the worst next 12 months to bear!! As long as MON uses him properly - 4-3-3 for me!

Always have to get that 4-3-3 into a thread don't you? ;)

he will either leave or sign a new contract, MoN and Randy wont go down the Barry route again, and i think either way Milnr will want it resolved 1 way or the other this summer.

myself i think the contracrt will be signed either before the WC or an agreement will be made.

James Milner is a Champions League quality player, the only player we have who is (imo) unquestionably of that standard. I'm not sure we can, or really should, get in the way of a move to his proper level. I'd love to think we could hold onto him, but really, he needs to step up now if he is to properly fulfil his massive potential to go on and become a genuine world class talent.

Good luck James whatever you chose to do, and thanks for this last season

So you don't want "Champions League quality" players in our side? Tell me then, how exactly will we qualify for the champions league?

I know it's unlikely, but would it be good or bad news if Jimmy didn't make England's 23?

No point pondering this - barring an injury, Milner will be going to the World Cup...

When do our representatives get to see him???? is it before or after the Japan friendly??

I know it's unlikely, but would it be good or bad news if Jimmy didn't make England's 23?

Bad surely?!

Man. City won't suddenly just drop interest if he dosen't make the cut whereas if he's in and has some good games that will obviously add a bit more to his price.

As ever it will come down to what the player wants. It didn't with Barry initially but the difference was that the club that wanted him couldn't afford the fee we were demanding and we know Man. City won't have any trouble doing that.

like others have said i would rather sell now if he doesnt want to sign a new deal and we lose 15m.

i would rather sell to citeh because we can get some good players from them and under mon i think they can flourish better under mon and could possibly push us for next season.

As long as MON uses him properly - 4-3-3 for me!

isn't he wanted for huge money due to his season playing cm in a 4-4-2?

How is that not using him properly?

I think he could be utilised better in a 4-3-3, but only because it'll actually give him the freedom to roam around like he wants to! (and won't leave the other CM unprotected when he's off on a run).

As much as it would hurt to see Jimmy go, if Citeh are going to be stupid enough to offer us £20m plus Richards / Joe Hart and Ireland, then its a pretty good deal.

What you need to consider is that Jimmy would be doing a side step. If Citeh could offer CL football, then this move would make sense. As they can't at the minute, then I still think we should tell them where to stick it.

£30m is a lot of money, but we need to have players signed BEFORE we decide to sell Milner (if we do). By bringing the key players in early, it stops those prices becoming inflated, which they inevitably will do once clubs know we've got another £30m to spend.

If we get the players in early aswell, its an indicator to Jimmy to say 'look, this is what we want to build next year, and if we don't break into the top 4, then we'll understand if you want to play CL football'.

As has been said earlier, he's a man of his word. He was upset when he couldn't sign for us straight away from the Barcodes, and owes us / MON a huge debt of gratitude for turning him into the player he is today. I think he'll stay.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread Milner for £10m + Ireland + Onouha + Hart would be a brilliant deal.

Then we'd have £10m on top of whatever we get for the outgoing players (Sidwell/ Luke Young/ Shorey seem destined to go) to buy a decent striker.

I don't think Hart would be happy sitting on the bench behind Shay Given next year so if Man City really, really want Milner (and he wants to go), this should be our offer!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread Milner for £10m + Ireland + Onouha + Hart would be a brilliant deal.

Then we'd have £10m on top of whatever we get for the outgoing players (Sidwell/ Luke Young/ Shorey seem destined to go) to buy a decent striker.

I don't think Hart would be happy sitting on the bench behind Shay Given next year so if Man City really, really want Milner (and he wants to go), this should be our offer!

Id go one further, Hart+Onouha+Ireland+Bellamy In return for Milner.

We would end up with a replacement for Milner, Good Keeper to take over Brad Friedel for perhaps the next 15 years, Young Quick Right Back to Fight with Carlos for Right back and Bellamy who i think would be perfect up front for us.

Do that deal and i think we would have a stronger starting 11 and squad.

£30m is a lot of money, but we need to have players signed BEFORE we decide to sell Milner (if we do). By bringing the key players in early, it stops those prices becoming inflated, which they inevitably will do once clubs know we've got another £30m to spend.

And what about if we spend the cash and then for whatever reason Milner does not actually leave?

Id go one further, Hart+Onouha+Ireland+Bellamy In return for Milner.

We would end up with a replacement for Milner, Good Keeper to take over Brad Friedel for perhaps the next 15 years, Young Quick Right Back to Fight with Carlos for Right back and Bellamy who i think would be perfect up front for us.

Do that deal and i think we would have a stronger starting 11 and squad.

Sounds good!

Nit-picking.. but is Bellamy worth £10m?

Either way, we'd have a pretty strong squad!

Hart, Friedel, Guzan

Onouha, Cuellar, Davies, Dunne, Collins, Warnock

Young, Downing, Ireland, Petrov, Delph, NRC

Delfouneso, Gabby, Bellamy, Carew

(I'm excluding the people I assume could be sold, and adding Heskey because that's my preferred departure!)