• No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa's James Milner set to snub Manchester move for Liverpool - report

23 May 2010 07:21:00

Aston Villa midfielder James Milner is ready to reject a move to either Manchester United or Manchester City, after reportedly telling a close friend he wants to join Liverpool, according to the News of The World.

Villa rejected City's advances earlier this week, after the Citizens tabled an offer of £20 million, with manager Martin O'Neill keen to hold on to the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year.

However, sources close to Milner have reportedly told the tabloid: "Being born in Leeds, there is no way James wants to play for Manchester United.

"His preferred Premier League club in Liverpool."

With manager O'Neill linked with the post at Anfield, should Rafael Benitez leave, it would be a heavy blow for Villa to lose both their coach and star player.

A source close to O'Neill is quoted as saying: "Martin doesn't want to start the summer feeling like he's pushing a rock up a mountain because the club have let Milner go too cheaply.

"This is a player Villa have turned into an England international, who has been one of the most consistent players in the Premier League and who has discovered a whole new role in central midfield thanks to Martin.

"To let somebody of that quality and stature go without a fight and at a price City believe is a bargan would be counter-productive.

"Nobody at Villa wants to see Milner leave and the club will speak with him before he goes to the World Cup about a contract extension.

"But if his heart is set on leaving, then Villa must get the absolute top price for him."

With City set to renew their interest this week and make an improved bid, it remains to be seen how much longer Villa will be able to hold on to their man.

:crylaugh:

Don't want Milner to go but if City offer £30M + Ireland AND Richards then I wouldn't mind so much, can't seeing them offering that though so hope Milner stays.

Aston Villa's James Milner set to snub Manchester move for Liverpool - report

23 May 2010 07:21:00

Aston Villa midfielder James Milner is ready to reject a move to either Manchester United or Manchester City, after reportedly telling a close friend he wants to join Liverpool, according to the News of The World.

Villa rejected City's advances earlier this week, after the Citizens tabled an offer of £20 million, with manager Martin O'Neill keen to hold on to the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year.

However, sources close to Milner have reportedly told the tabloid: "Being born in Leeds, there is no way James wants to play for Manchester United.

"His preferred Premier League club in Liverpool."

With manager O'Neill linked with the post at Anfield, should Rafael Benitez leave, it would be a heavy blow for Villa to lose both their coach and star player.

A source close to O'Neill is quoted as saying: "Martin doesn't want to start the summer feeling like he's pushing a rock up a mountain because the club have let Milner go too cheaply.

"This is a player Villa have turned into an England international, who has been one of the most consistent players in the Premier League and who has discovered a whole new role in central midfield thanks to Martin.

"To let somebody of that quality and stature go without a fight and at a price City believe is a bargan would be counter-productive.

"Nobody at Villa wants to see Milner leave and the club will speak with him before he goes to the World Cup about a contract extension.

"But if his heart is set on leaving, then Villa must get the absolute top price for him."

With City set to renew their interest this week and make an improved bid, it remains to be seen how much longer Villa will be able to hold on to their man.

:crylaugh:

I second the cry laugh, what a pathetic story. :lol:

7th placed LIVERPOOL??!!! :shock:

Surbiton Villa fan? Chessington here, not exactly many of us from round here!

Do you know what Ireland's problem actually is? Mancini said there is a problem with his attitude, i can't see MON taking on someone like that.

I'm strangely unbothered by this speculation.

I mean I'm all for replying to Citeh with a firm '**** off'. But the thing in the back of my mind is if he does go, it'll be for obscene money, the kind of money that added to the kitty can make big things happen to a side (even if it's spent on 3 players say).

And if he doesn't, we've still got Milner, who is as far as we are aware one of the most professional players in the league. It would be an enormous surprise to find that reputation unfounded.

If, for instance, we do sell him for circa £30m, we'll be ripping off Citeh. I like Milner, I like his attitude and his work rate and his ability, and I like that it's Villa that has made him come into his own. But £30m odds worth of player? Nah. Certainly he's worth more than we paid, a lot more now, but I'd figure his value straight up probably at the mid 20s. Double our outlay say. Another 5/6m on that isn't insignificant, and also is most likely an example of Villas hard ball attitude these days - you want him, you'll pay through the teeth for him. We did it with Barry, we'll do it again and again. If he does go, we'll make sure Citeh pay to our liking and not theirs.

And if he doesn't... well, 20 odd million of CM with time on his side still isn't something to be sniffed at.

Pretty much where I am too.

I rate Milner highly, but he is not worth the money Man City will have to pay for him. Finding a replacement won't be easy, but I'm sure there is one out there for less than £30 mil.

I'm strangely unbothered by this speculation.

I mean I'm all for replying to Citeh with a firm '**** off'. But the thing in the back of my mind is if he does go, it'll be for obscene money, the kind of money that added to the kitty can make big things happen to a side (even if it's spent on 3 players say).

And if he doesn't, we've still got Milner, who is as far as we are aware one of the most professional players in the league. It would be an enormous surprise to find that reputation unfounded.

If, for instance, we do sell him for circa £30m, we'll be ripping off Citeh. I like Milner, I like his attitude and his work rate and his ability, and I like that it's Villa that has made him come into his own. But £30m odds worth of player? Nah. Certainly he's worth more than we paid, a lot more now, but I'd figure his value straight up probably at the mid 20s. Double our outlay say. Another 5/6m on that isn't insignificant, and also is most likely an example of Villas hard ball attitude these days - you want him, you'll pay through the teeth for him. We did it with Barry, we'll do it again and again. If he does go, we'll make sure Citeh pay to our liking and not theirs.

And if he doesn't... well, 20 odd million of CM with time on his side still isn't something to be sniffed at.

Pretty much where I am too.

I rate Milner highly, but he is not worth the money Man City will have to pay for him. Finding a replacement won't be easy, but I'm sure there is one out there for less than £30 mil.

Pretty much my take on the whole situation as well.

A friend of mine who works at the sh*tty city has told me that as a last resort they are prepared to offer......

£30 million plus onuoha, ireland and richards as they are that desperate for him. They think that is a £45 mill total, ohh yes to that!!!! Would still tell them to do one though as i think the boy is class!

if that's true then crikey we really will have robbed them blind!

Maybe move Downing inside and get Bentley?

As for selling Milner, I think we should hold out for every penny. If we scare them off great, if we can take them to the cleaners even better :)

A friend of mine who works at the sh*tty city has told me that as a last resort they are prepared to offer......

£30 million plus onuoha, ireland and richards as they are that desperate for him. They think that is a £45 mill total, ohh yes to that!!!! Would still tell them to do one though as i think the boy is class!

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Their initial offer was £20m, and as far as I'm aware, they haven't made a bid since.

So you say they value this deal at £45m, more than double the initial offer? If true, Mancini really isn't as smart as people think.

As for selling Milner, I think we should hold out for every penny. If we scare them off great, if we can take them to the cleaners even better :)

move downing inside and we will concede a boat load of goals.....there will be no one to protect the 2 central defenders on the ground.

If thats true i will go and renew my season ticket.

If thats true i will show my arse in burtons window!..

If thats true i will show my arse in burtons window!..

...and I'd pay to see it!! :shock:

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Their initial offer was £20m, and as far as I'm aware, they haven't made a bid since.

So you say they value this deal at £45m, more than double the initial offer? If true, Mancini really isn't as smart as people think.

If they started bidding at £20m, theres every reason to believe the fee would end up being £30m plus and if Milner has a good WC, even higher.

move downing inside and we will concede a boat load of goals.....there will be no one to protect the 2 central defenders on the ground.

this, particularly with his tackling form last season