The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Dunno is it a wind up or what but rumours going around social media that Saunders is injured. I'd believe it. I knew he wouldn't get in the ring with him. 

He put a tweet out that he ruptured his **** scrotum! Then later saying it's sore but he's starting camp Monday. Canelo is hard to crack mentally and maybe this is what he's trying to do. Said last week Saunders that he's about 14st and needs to get that off during camp. Others have said they've seen him and he looks bang on and been training for ages so i dunno what he's at 

17 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Reports Fury is back drinking 12 pints a day and he will continue to do so until he thinks the Joshua deal is close 

Hearn says could be a week from announcing it. Though he's been saying that for 5 weeks now .

59 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't believe Hagler has passed.  Without doubt, one of the all time great middleweights. His destruction of Tony Sibson was a masterclass of boxing. That right jab was a thing of beauty. 

A true great, still really embarrassed about what a British crowd did to him after the Minter fight even now. Will never ever forget that first round against the hitman, stuff of legend

also had the good sense not to get photographed with the top table from across the city at a black tie event

Edited by Follyfoot

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Hearn says could be a week from announcing it. Though he's been saying that for 5 weeks now .

I'm no boxing expert (or even massive fan) but I don't think Fury vs AJ will ever happen. Just all talk. Neither will want to risk losing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

R.I.P Marvin Hagler. True legend.

Oh man :( That era with Marvelous, Sugar Ray, Hitman and Manos de Piedra. What fights we got

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm no boxing expert (or even massive fan) but I don't think Fury vs AJ will ever happen. Just all talk. Neither will want to risk losing. 

It’ll happen but possibly looking like going the way of Mayweather / Pacquiao  in that both fighters will be way past their best when it’s finally scheduled.

It’s hard to get angry about it, being selfish and looking at it from a fan perspective you just want to see it happen, ASAP, in the UK ideally and with or without a packed arena.

But these guys are prizefighters, they put themselves at massive physical risk to make money, they essentially exchange health and safety for cash. So on that basis, you can well understand why one or both of them (I think that probably falls more on AJ’s side than Fury) would be holding out to maximise the purse.

Sadly, that probably means it taking place in the middle of an Arabian desert.

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

No mas, sadly 

It's a shame that, that " no mas " comment will, for some, blot, what otherwise was a stellar boxing career. I watched the Duran documentary last month. What a lovely, down to earth fella he seemed.

His first fight with Leonard was a classic, no one predicted that outcome. People were literally shell - shocked. Sugar Ray had looked unbeatable going into their fight. Why Leonard chose to stand and trade, I'll never know. His ego lulled him into a false sense of security. And, to be fair, it was a close fight, but Duran was at his absolute best. Such an underrated boxer, he had some mad skills. As a lightweight, he was unbeatable.

Even the late, great Marvin Hagler was wise enough to not think he could walk through the old, Hands Of Stones.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’ll happen but possibly looking like going the way of Mayweather / Pacquiao  in that both fighters will be way past their best when it’s finally scheduled.

It’s hard to get angry about it, being selfish and looking at it from a fan perspective you just want to see it happen, ASAP, in the UK ideally and with or without a packed arena.

But these guys are prizefighters, they put themselves at massive physical risk to make money, they essentially exchange health and safety for cash. So on that basis, you can well understand why one or both of them (I think that probably falls more on AJ’s side than Fury) would be holding out to maximise the purse.

Sadly, that probably means it taking place in the middle of an Arabian desert.

I’m not sure it will go ahead, they’ve both got these different TV contracts and managing boards. I just can’t see an agreement being made. 
As for the bolded bit, I’m not so sure. Fury has always talked himself up as the number 1, (which he probably is), even when he didn’t have the belt off Wilder. But AJ holds the more belts, so for me should be more money. 
The easiest thing would be to have a 40/40 split pre fight, then the winner gets the remaining 20. But that’ll never happen.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not sure it will go ahead, they’ve both got these different TV contracts and managing boards. I just can’t see an agreement being made. 
As for the bolded bit, I’m not so sure. Fury has always talked himself up as the number 1, (which he probably is), even when he didn’t have the belt off Wilder. But AJ holds the more belts, so for me should be more money. 
The easiest thing would be to have a 40/40 split pre fight, then the winner gets the remaining 20. But that’ll never happen.

I don't see the tv thing been an issue. Similar to how Showtime and HBO ran their own seperate PPV for Mayweather-Pacquiao, Sky and BT would probably work on the same principle. There's no reason it doesn't get made. AJ holds belts that were stripped from Fury. He never lost him. Joshua has to fight Fury more than the other way round.

23 hours ago, Xela said:

I think be more aj than fury. Fury will completely outbox aj

1 hour ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

A day later Hearn comes out and says the deal has been signed... 

Can you predict that my hair will never grow back next!

Clearly they read this thread and decided to make me look a right mug! :D 

Â