The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its going to be somewhere like saudi arabia

Thia fight should be in the uk but money talks

Me too, but you’re right.

Both Fury and Hearn tweeted / Insta’d a picture of the new 70,000 seat stadium in Vegas this week which is adding some fuel to the rumour they are there for business. 
I hope not, and I think there will be a lot of backlash from the UK if they do that (unless the fight is 5/6pm local time which I can’t see).

Edited by Genie

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Me too, but you’re right.

Both Fury and Hearn tweeted / Insta’d a picture of the new 70,000 seat stadium in Vegas this week which is adding some fuel to the rumour they are there for business. 
I hope not, and I think there will be a lot of backlash from the UK if they do that (unless the fight is 5/6pm local time which I can’t see).

I don't think Vegas will be ready to host crowds of that capacity in July or August. Some fans back at fights but not huge numbers. Hearn has said some bidders would prefer to have the fight in November / December. Hearn said it absolutely has to be in the summer. Fury has said he'll walk away from it if it's not in the summer. Can see his point. He needs a fight. Agree with Demitri, probably land in Saudi in the summer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't think Vegas will be ready to host crowds of that capacity in July or August. Some fans back at fights but not huge numbers. Hearn has said some bidders would prefer to have the fight in November / December. Hearn said it absolutely has to be in the summer. Fury has said he'll walk away from it if it's not in the summer. Can see his point. He needs a fight. Agree with Demitri, probably land in Saudi in the summer.

Apparently Vegas are planning to be fully open 1st June.

Texas already 100% open, Florida getting close too.

As a very casual armchair boxing fan I’d be pissed off it it was stateside with a 4/5am start here.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

As a very casual armchair boxing fan I’d be pissed off it it was stateside with a 4/5am start here.

Fantastic night if you’re actually there but as you say a complete ball ache if back at home waiting. Always remember Naz first fight in America, decided I would see it through and fell asleep 10 minutes before the Ring walk on the sofa and woke up at the ending credits non the wiser to the result or what happened with a thick head and dry throat and mouth ffs

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Fantastic night if you’re actually there but as you say a complete ball ache if back at home waiting. Always remember Naz first fight in America, decided I would see it through and fell asleep 10 minutes before the Ring walk on the sofa and woke up at the ending credits non the wiser to the result or what happened with a thick head and dry throat and mouth ffs

Many years ago me and a mate would try and stay up for the Tyson fights in the middle of the night, never managed it.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think if it goes to the states in terms of venue, it will still be a 10 or 11 pm UK start time. They like this fight in the states, but it's not as big over there as you think. I think it will primetime UK start time where ever it goes. If Wilder was involved, then yeah that's different. US would demand prime time slot over there.

Edited by Johnnyp

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think if it goes to the states in terms of venue, it will still be a 10 or 11 pm UK start time. They like this fight in the states, but it's not as big over there as you think. I think it will primetime UK start time where ever it goes. 

That would mean starting about 2 or 3pm local time in Vegas, possible I guess.

The new raiders stadium?  Would be incredible if they pulled it off, the cowboys stadium has had a few big fights but not full, not been an NFL game there yet either so they'd be effectively opening it, could be big for Vegas let alone them 2 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The new raiders stadium?  Would be incredible if they pulled it off, the cowboys stadium has had a few big fights but not full, not been an NFL game there yet either so they'd be effectively opening it, could be big for Vegas let alone them 2 

Be great to see Canelo - Saunders full 70,000. Not so much for Billy Joe, will be practically be all Mexican. 

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I read that in America the fight was 40 or 50 dollars, now that’s hilarious.

Few seconds in Askren shuffles across the ring like a drunk in a bar brawl, first time he got hit he was on his back.

Paul gets lifted up in the air by his team and he’s crying like he’s the new world champion.

That fight and everything that it stood for really did my head in. To say that it's "boxing vs MMA"...no it isn't. You're taking a retired MMA fighter, who was a wrestler, and making him box. Why not even the odds and do it the other way round and make Jake Paul do an MMA bout? He wouldn't last 5 seconds if Askren was actually allowed to use the skills that he has.

Anyway though, now that Jake Paul thinks that he's an elite boxer, let's put him up against an actual boxer and see how long he lasts....

Liam Williams gave it a real good try against Andrade, lost the majority of the rounds but he was competitive and ate uppercut after uppercut like a **** boss.

Ref was shocking though, Andrade was badly gassed and hurt at times, the holding and clinching was far too excessive.

Good scrap though.

Askren threw that, 100%.

convenient that while knocked out he still managed to hold his forearm out in front to perfectly break his fall and prevent his head from cannoning off the canvas.

Edited by a m ole

4 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

That fight and everything that it stood for really did my head in. To say that it's "boxing vs MMA"...no it isn't. You're taking a retired MMA fighter, who was a wrestler, and making him box. Why not even the odds and do it the other way round and make Jake Paul do an MMA bout? He wouldn't last 5 seconds if Askren was actually allowed to use the skills that he has.

Anyway though, now that Jake Paul thinks that he's an elite boxer, let's put him up against an actual boxer and see how long he lasts....

Don’t forget that Askren is six months out from a hip replacement surgery. He clearly didn’t train for the fight and got at least $500k for his efforts. They are both laughing all the way to the bank.  

Edited by The_Rev

Jake Paul will not fight anyone that has even a smidgen of boxing experience. He looks garbage on the pads and he isn't a boxer even if he wants to convince himself. I'd say he'd struggle to win an area level English title. But he'll continue to get fights. He's throwing truckloads of cash at opponents. Askren probably got paid more last night than any of his MMA fights. 

Â