The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Obviously they going to screw uk fans over and have it somewhere like saudi Arabia.

This fight has to be in the UK

You never been to Saudi Arabia ? Wonderful place, gorgeous, sand dunes . You wouldn't believe the size of the castles they build.

On 16/03/2021 at 10:44, Demitri_C said:

Obviously they going to screw uk fans over and have it somewhere like saudi Arabia.

Fight will be where it makes the most money. They aren't putting 90,000 people in Wembley in June/July.

On 16/03/2021 at 10:44, Demitri_C said:

I read earlier that Fury didn’t want the UK for some reason.

I expect they’ll follow the money to the Middle East like Joshua v Ruiz II. I’d prefer that to America as it’ll be on at a sensible time for us.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I read earlier that Fury didn’t want the UK for some reason.

I expect they’ll follow the money to the Middle East like Joshua v Ruiz II. I’d prefer that to America as it’ll be on at a sensible time for us.

They can't guarantee a big crowd in the UK which is a bit of a problem if you're trying to organise things right now.  There are big offers from overseas and this is nothing new in the world of boxing, The Rumble in the Jungle, The Thriller in Manilla, the Sunshine Showdown.  Fights involving Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and Joe Frazier in their prime were sold to the highest bidder in far flung places.  It's prize fighting, they are in it for the money and if some oil sheikh is willing to offer them stupid money to fight in his back yard then they'll take it.  

I imagine the fight will be prime time in the UK.  It's too big a deal not to.  Joshua - Ruiz 2 was on at 9pm UK time, it was 4pm on a Saturday afternoon in New York and 1pm in LA.  It seemed to do very well in all markets, especially here and I can't see either Joshua or Fury wanting to throw away potentially 2m PPV buys in the UK by fighting at 2am.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

They can't guarantee a big crowd in the UK which is a bit of a problem if you're trying to organise things right now.  There are big offers from overseas and this is nothing new in the world of boxing, The Rumble in the Jungle, The Thriller in Manilla, the Sunshine Showdown.  Fights involving Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and Joe Frazier in their prime were sold to the highest bidder in far flung places.  It's prize fighting, they are in it for the money and if some oil sheikh is willing to offer them stupid money to fight in his back yard then they'll take it.  

I imagine the fight will be prime time in the UK.  It's too big a deal not to.  Joshua - Ruiz 2 was on at 9pm UK time, it was 4pm on a Saturday afternoon in New York and 1pm in LA.  It seemed to do very well in all markets, especially here and I can't see either Joshua or Fury wanting to throw away potentially 2m PPV buys in the UK by fighting at 2am.  

I think it will be primetime UK also. It's not as big a fight in the US than it is in the UK. Probably be a shared broadcast in the US. ESPN/DAZN. I don't think it will be be shared in the UK. I think Sky will blow BT out of the water here. When the opportunity presents itself, for the right fight, Sky have deep pockets. People go on about how BT are comparable budget wise to them. Not so sure.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Beautiful display of boxing by Okolie. Well deserved. That jab is like a harpoon. 

Big lad for a cruiser, very good showing

Okolie will clear up at crusierweight. Not many greats in this divsion anymore. Would have liked to have seen him fight uysk at cruiser that would have been a fight.

He will go up to heavyweight eventually and i think a fight with whyte will happen

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

First time I've heard that.

Good (chicken) select-ion of punches, and really (quarter) pounded his opponent into submission.

7DuYhC.gif

No wonder he is called the (bbq) sauce

• Shocked 1

Whyte Provotkin 2 

How on earth this is PPV God only knows, Whyte should get him out of there and will be cautious after that uppercut last time but the other fella knows he can take him out, could be a David Price turnout.

In other news the Golden Boy is allegedly returning to the ring in July zzzzzzzzz

Either some no name bum he'll beat with ease, or some other long retired "legend" because the Tyson - Jones Jr fight did so well and other people who don't have Mike Tyson's aura think they'll get a bit of the action too. 

• Like 1

Â