PL: Man Utd a Match Thread 2009/12/12 17:30

limpid

I'd love to be as optimistic as some of you lot and do admit that I have a thought that this could possibly be our year to "do them".

However, they knowcked Spurs out of the League Cup with a team mixed up of first teamers and kids.

They stuffed West Ham 4 - 0 and the Germans 3-1 with many players missing incuding two midfielders sitting at the heart of the defence.

They are 2nd in the Prem, into the last 16 of the Champs League (topping the group) and are in the League Cup semi.

They are not exactly crap are they.

This kind of sums up my feelings as well. Yes I know they are suffering an injury crisis at the moment, but they are still seeming to pick up some very good results. Add to that, the fact the game is at OT, and the extra man they have on the pitch, plus Fergie time at the end if required. I'm not so confident as some of you guys. :lol:

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once I’m feeling pretty confident about us going to Old Trafford. Surely we have to beat them sometime soon. Is it really 1995 since we last beat them in the league?! That must make it 27 games.... :( The winless run has to come to an end soon, fingers crossed it’ll be on Saturday evening. UTV

It really depends on what mentality the manager and players show. I always feel that we tend to show a defeatest mentality before and when playing Man U.

I can remember when 'Deadly' was chairman, there was a rumour that whenever Man U visted Villa Park, the staff at Villa Park asked for autographs from the Man U players. I sincerely hope that those days are long gone?

Yes i know we are playing at Old Trafford, but we must also show the manager and players at Man U that we are not afraid to win. We must show respect, but not too much and not sit in our own half, inviting them on to us. Get at them from the start and make them worry about us, as this, without doubt, will be the best Aston Villa team Man U have come up against in many years.

I hope our MON firstly chooses the right formation. I would play Reo-Coker in a 4-5-1, just to give us that little bit extra defensive security alongside Milner and Petrov, with Downing and Young ripping into United's suspect defence at every opportunity and feeding a hungry Gabby. I would keep both Heskey and Carew on the bench, until such time, as MON would see it fit for a change.

I hope before whatever Villa team walks out to face Man U, that, MON has instilled the right mentality into the side and when the game has ended, it is Fergie and his players who have a newly found respect for the Villa?

cracking post. I still dont know if we should go 4-5-1 to negate their attack or 4-4-2 to attack their weak defence

Thing is, they are scarily consistent, even with a patchwork team. Whereas we are the very definition of inconsistency.

So it all depends which Villa team turns up. We could play out of ours skins and get a result, or we could be embarrassing and get hammered.

I'm a natural pessimist, so I'm worried.

we haven't lost to any of the big boys yet this season and definatly seem to raise our games for this type of opposition. That being said, a draw at old trafford would be a fantastic result given our record against them over the last 10 or so years. I don't think the united team will be as weak as fergie has indicated, get a feeling its just a little mind games. I think we got everything bang on the money last year (I know we lost) but two goals were scored by arguably the worlds most dangerous player,. We usually play best soaking up pressure and then hitting teams on the break and there's no danger that united will sit back against us so it could work for us, IF we can take the ongoing pressure.

If we dont conceed in the first 25mins i believe we can go on to win it.

If united score early it will be a devistating result. We will also need Brad to have one of his usual fantastic performances against them

Dint they score early last year? dint exactly get thrashed

I hope our MON firstly chooses the right formation. I would play Reo-Coker in a 4-5-1, just to give us that little bit extra defensive security alongside Milner and Petrov, with Downing and Young ripping into United's suspect defence at every opportunity and feeding a hungry Gabby. I would keep both Heskey and Carew on the bench, until such time, as MON would see it fit for a change.

I'd be tempted to go 442 with Carew. With the Utd defence being pasted together from midfielders, if he can have a good game (and it's Man Utd, so he should be up for it) then he could really tear them apart like no one else in our team can. It's a gamble, but I think it could be one worth taking.

Agree that the mentality for the game has to be right and MON will have to get some belief into the players.

Richard Dunne insists Aston Villa should have no fear about taking on Manchester United at Old Trafford when trying to show they have the credentials to claim a Champions League spot.

Former Manchester City player Dunne experienced the joy of completing a derby double over United two seasons ago under Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Villa have not beaten United in the Barclays Premier League since 1995 and their last success at Old Trafford was 26 years ago.

But Martin O'Neill's side will face the Red Devils on Saturday with the confidence behind them from having beaten leaders Chelsea and Liverpool already this season.

Dunne said: "We know on any given day that we can beat anyone. We have got a squad full of top quality talent. Nobody should be afraid going into the game on Saturday.

"We all respect and know how good Manchester United are but, if we are to challenge the top four, these are the games we have to go and have the belief to play and impose our game on them.

"Manchester United have a decent record against Villa but this season we just feel a little bit different and we have got tools to win games against the big sides.

"We will give it a really good go and try and prove to Manchester United and the rest of the league that we are here to challenge for that top four.

"From every angle, United can attack. We just have to concentrate on ourselves and we know as a team we have to defend and when we do get opportunities, we have to take them.

"It is going to be everyone fighting for each other."

Dunne added: "The win in the Carling Cup against Portsmouth and the win over Hull means the confidence is high but we know how tough it is going to Old Trafford.

"My record against United is not bad! I've had a few draws and wins but every game I've played against them before has been a derby. On Saturday I imagine will be a different atmosphere.

"December is a difficult month for every team with the amount of games. If you can start it well, and get points on the board, it is great and sets you up for what lies ahead."

O'Neill anticipates a tough test despite United's injury list which led them to parading Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and Park Ji-Sung in their back four against Wolfsburg in the Champions League in midweek.

He said: "If you had listened to Sir Alex Ferguson talking before their European game, he mentioned that the most important thing for him was Saturday's game against Aston Villa.

"He might not have every single option available to him but he'll have a lot more options available to him on Saturday, you can guarantee that.

"Manchester United couldn't have won the number of championships they have without having one of the strongest squads in European football."

Good to see Dunne looking in a confident mood, I hope we don't give to much respect.

Here