PL: Man Utd a Match Thread 2009/12/12 17:30

limpid

We need to take the same sort of approach Sunderland took against the glory hunters when they got a draw (should have won) a couple of months ago. They didn't sit back trying to defend like so many teams do when they do to Old Trafford because it doesn't work... they worked their socks off and were not afraid to have a real go at them playing attacking football and it paid off. It's vital we take that sort of approach because it's all or nothing when you play Man United at Man United but of course, it's still going to be very difficult but I'm hoping for a draw.

This is exactly what we did 2 seasons ago and we were on the end of a 4-0 thrashing!

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNITED'S INJURY WOES

Gary Neville (groin)

Nemanja Vidic (flu)

Rio Ferdinand (calf)

Jonny Evans (calf)

John O'Shea (thigh)

Rafael (injury)

Fabio (groin)

Edwin van der Sar (knee)

Wes Brown (limped off)

Owen Hargreaves (knees)

will we ever have a better chance of winning there?

UNITED'S INJURY WOES

Gary Neville (groin)

Nemanja Vidic (flu)

Rio Ferdinand (calf)

Jonny Evans (calf)

John O'Shea (thigh)

Rafael (injury)

Fabio (groin)

Edwin van der Sar (knee)

Wes Brown (limped off)

Owen Hargreaves (knees)

will we ever have a better chance of winning there?

i'm sure we said that in last years fixture.

Given our history against them, a point would be a great achievement.

I wonder if we will ever get over the problem of Old Trafford.

Its not just us, Spurs and Blackburn off the top of my head just dont do anything there regardless of form. We're usually the same, has to end some time why not next week?

Spurs haven't won away at any of the big four since 1993, we aren't quite as pathetic as them at least.

When was the last time we won at Old Trafford?

Its not just us, Spurs and Blackburn off the top of my head just dont do anything there regardless of form. We're usually the same, has to end some time why not next week?

Spurs haven't won away at any of the big four since 1993, we aren't quite as pathetic as them at least.

but when did we last win at Stamford Bridge? (5 years ago?) Anfield? or Arsenal?

Was it the early 80s with a Peter Withe goal? Think manyoo are playing Tues in the CL. If they've already qualified I can't see too many of the better players being risked. I hope Neville recovers from his injury as he's clearly past it and will be destroyed by our pace.

This is the list of injuries from Red Cafe and there expected return date, looks like they could have a few back next week.

Gary Neville - Calf/Shin Injury - no return date

Edwin Van Der Sar - Knee Injury - 8th Dec 09

Nemanja Vidic - Flu - 12 Dec 09

Fabio - Groin Strain - 12th Dec 09

Rafael - Unknown - Unknown

John O'Shea - Thigh Strain - 12th Dec 09

Jonny Evans - Calf Strain - 12th Dec 09

Rio Ferdinand - Calf Strain - 19th Dec 09

Owen Hargreaves - Jumpers Knee - 19th Dec 09

I'd play the excact same team.

Seriously? Bring in NRC for Heskey for me and I think we'd have a great chance.

Yeah I mean I'd be happy if we did that but I just can't see O'Neill not going 4-4-2, I'm sort of accepting that fact, therefore I'd go with the exact same team. Like someone said, did okay there last year, Vidic will be back but they do have a shit defence.

Cleaned up your post for you :wink:

Question, if you were CONVINCED (inexplicably) of a Villa win and had a few hundred quid profit from recent bets which you wouldn't mind pissing away over time as it's all profit, how much would you put on villa at 8/1?

One player thats not injured and is the one to fear.....Rooney. as for the betting, what you can afford to loose, prob £100. I looked at this as a bet as well, but in all honesty I find its best to keep away from bets on your on team. Prefer one on Wolves away. :wink:

Question, if you were CONVINCED (inexplicably) of a Villa win and had a few hundred quid profit from recent bets which you wouldn't mind pissing away over time as it's all profit, how much would you put on villa at 8/1?

None. Manu home record:

07/08: 17-1-1

08/09: 16-2-1

09/10: 6-1-0

Of 45 games they've lost 2. I'm sure they'll manage to get enough defenders fit to field a good defense next weekend as well. People always come up with reasons why this year is the best chance we've ever had to beat them there when it never actually is.

Surprisingly confident about this one. Think we might snatch something. Even if only a draw I'd be fairly content. But let's go with the same mentality as last year, let's just not throw it away this time.

Man Utd 1-2 Aston Villa

Rooney........Downing

....................Dunne

None. Manu home record:

07/08: 17-1-1

08/09: 16-2-1

09/10: 6-1-0

Exactly they haven't lost their game at home this season yet......

Also we have Downing who has been to OT and won about 4 times?

One word - Rooney.

This guy will give our defenders a very difficult task - the man is world class and his movement, touch and overall abity will mean our defence will have to be at their best - he can create something out of nothing.

We need to believe that we can win here. Id perhaps start with 4-5-1 with NRC in for Heskey then maybe switch to our 4-4-2 as the game goes on. Despite Man utd's injuries they are still wiping the floor with teams and are always extremely tough to play against - this, plus our awful record at OT will mean we'll be up against it.

We shouldve won up there last year - hope we manage to make ammends.