General Chat

Stevo985

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

I went to that pub about 40 years ago. I thought it was a nice old codgers pub back then. I would have fitted in great today. As much as I love the Beatles, I'm not sure it would be for me today.

50 years ago for me. Exactly as you say. 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Went to The Station in King's Heath last night. 

Stuck my head round the door of the back room and asked the guy on the door what kind of band they had on that night. 

A bloke in full Sergeant Pepper regalia suddenly chipped in with "We've got a psychedelic rock band on." 

I said you don't say, there's a subtle clue going on right there. 

My thought as I walked away was its a good job @bicksterwasn't paying a visit there. The sight of a bloke going full Sargeant Pepper might unhinge him 😁

Jesus that brings back memories, the pub not the outfit.

The Station is not an old codgers pub anymore.  More a live music venue. 

I did say its held its name under false pretences for 80 years but will soon be able to justify its title again. 

Anyone use Uber? 

I've been steadfastly avoiding them preferring to put my money into the hands of my local taxi firm instead of a global corporation who seem to treat drivers with disdain. 

But the other night my Cousin ordered an Uber in King's Heath to take us home and one arrived in about 3 minutes.  I know for a fact I would have been waiting for 20 minutes to half an hour for my local firm, starting to wonder if that's the best way to go. 

Plus no dicking around with cash etc.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone use Uber? 

I've been steadfastly avoiding them preferring to put my money into the hands of my local taxi firm instead of a global corporation who seem to treat drivers with disdain. 

But the other night my Cousin ordered an Uber in King's Heath to take us home and one arrived in about 3 minutes.  I know for a fact I would have been waiting for 20 minutes to half an hour for my local firm, starting to wonder if that's the best way to go. 

I use Bolt if I'm in a city. Except Liverpool, then you have to phone @bickster

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone use Uber? 

I’ve only ever used them in Orlando where we’d use them every day. Absolutely amazing service tbh. You see the price up front before you go. You can track their location, they arrive quickly, the rating is important to them so the service is always good.

Local taxi’s here are a complete waste of time. Shit service, and if you can manage to get one they are very expensive, and usually late. You can’t trust to go out on an evening and expect a taxi at the end of it. 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone use Uber? 

You know that, one arrived in three minutes bit. It probably means he'd been waiting 20 minutes for a booking. Then on current Uber form he probably recieved half of what was paid, which he'll have to take out the costs of the vehicle including fuel and sky high prices, vehicle rental or insurance plus wear and tear.

Using that service you are effectively employing someone on below minimum wage

If you are comfortable with that, that's ok

Uber started out by taking 20%, then 25%, it's now approaching 50% in the UK. In the US they are a couple of years ahead of the Uber curve, its starting to to hit 66%.

If you read all my posts on the subject over the years, this is exactly what I said would happen

The only way you get taxis turning up that quickly, is if you have lots of taxis sat around doing nothing

In the last two months leading up to Xmas, we've been signing up three to four Uber drivers a week (minimum, sometimes a good few more) who have never used our platform before, then there are the drivers who left to go to Uber and rejined us, that I rarely see because they don't come in for inductions, they just have their Driver App reinstated. Some weeks its easily 10 drivers a week just from Uber.

• Like 4

Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone "suffer" with nostalgia?

I have it bad today - not depression just a sad feeling about things which are gone that won't come back. This will sound completely stupid but my dad used to watch Mock the Week (he watched a lot of TV) and he passed away in 2011. I never found MTW that great but every now and again I'd fire up the VPN and watch it. When they cancelled it was another connection to him gone.

I'm just rambling......

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Not really. I get it, bigtime, but old music, films, TV, etc. mostly make me happy, not sad. Although there are a few songs/albums that are somewhat bittersweet in connection with old love affairs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I thought I didnt really do nostalgia, was never really into 80s music like my peers, or those films that everyone seems to love. Then I noticed over Christmas I was watching, as I always do, Racoons Christmas, Frosty the snowman etc as that was what I loved as a child. 

53 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I have it bad today - not depression just a sad feeling about things which are gone that won't come back. This will sound completely stupid but my dad used to watch Mock the Week (he watched a lot of TV) and he passed away in 2011. I never found MTW that great but every now and again I'd fire up the VPN and watch it. When they cancelled it was another connection to him gone.

I'm just rambling......

I always suffer it at Christmas. Don't get me wrong love Christmas with my lad and family, but cannot get it out of my head how good it was back in the day, going out with mates Christmas eve and New Year. Also loved growing up in the 90s, an occasionally something will remind me of the days, an as strange as it seems, it makes me feel like I've missed out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm just rambling......

I hear you. I spend way more time than is helpful, replaying past memories. Some of them are happy, with some the focus is how I could have played it differently. I sometimes get stuck on a particular memory that I wished I’d handled better. Was particular acute over Christmas and still now, beset by memories of my old mum who passed 18 months ago. It’s a mixture of missing her and being frustrated at the amount of opportunities missed. 
I’m a nostalgic at the best of times but it sometimes ties me up in knots. 

• Like 2

We teamed up with our favourite TV presenter and gut-health fanatic, Lisa Snowdon, to bring you the hottest wellness trends to get a gut start for 2023.

We’re talking gut candles. Perfect for anyone who suffers from irregularity and in the hottest scents of the season, diarrhoea and constipation. Throw in a session with a bowel counsellor, ready to restore trust between you and your gut. Saving the best for last, allow us to introduce you to the anal crystal. You simply pop it up your bum and feel your bowel chakras realign.

Link

Screenshot_2023-01-04-19-20-08-13_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Haha 2

Â