General Chat

Stevo985

14 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Does this mean I can start listening to Lostprophets again? 

Seriously though, I don’t think I ever could. I can’t separate the art from the artist so if I even was an MJ fan, I couldn’t listen to him. He was just lucky he never got caught and found guilty. 

I listen to lostprophets fairly regularly.

If we vetted the entertainment we watch/read/listen to then we'd never be able to enjoy anything.

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's funny isn't it.  Gary Glitter has been almost erased from history.  You will never hear his songs again (and one was a Christmas staple)

You hear his songs quite a lot. Rock and Roll Part 2 was the iconic track from one of the best movies of the last few years

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You hear his songs quite a lot. Rock and Roll Part 2 was the iconic track from one of the best movies of the last few years

Wow. Didn't know that. Certainly his Christmas song is absent from the festive playlists. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I listen to lostprophets fairly regularly.

If we vetted the entertainment we watch/read/listen to then we'd never be able to enjoy anything.

you're a vegan aren't you ?  surely you don't enjoy anything anyway :D 

I jest  ... I'm kinda with you , though I can honestly say I've never (knowingly) listened to  the lost prophets , but not due to any boycott on  my behalf ...  The problem i find with Vetting stuff , is it seems to be very selective and determined by a few people 

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The problem i find with Vetting stuff , is it seems to be very selective and determined by a few people 

Well you need to employ more people to do your vetting then. Some of us have to do it all by ourselves ;)

Just now, bickster said:

Well you need to employ more people to do your vetting then. Some of us have to do it all by ourselves ;)

I use Twitter for my vetting ..

If Twitter is on a bandwagon against someone or something  , then I know its safe to like them /it  :) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

you're a vegan aren't you ?  surely you don't enjoy anything anyway :D 

I jest  ... I'm kinda with you , though I can honestly say I've never (knowingly) listened to  the lost prophets , but not due to any boycott on  my behalf ...  The problem i find with Vetting stuff , is it seems to be very selective and determined by a few people 

I'm only a veggie so that gives me wiggle room. I can still enjoy cheese, basically :D 

Yeah I agree, I just think if we never enjoyed anything done by someone who did something bad we'd never enjoy a harvey Weinstein film, or a michael jackson song, or a mike tyson fight, or watching Ronaldo play, or a lewis carrol book etc etc

I think it's perfectly ok to separate art from the artist

• Like 1

Re: Lostprophets. It’s my personal thing to not listen to them, if someone else’s wants to listen to them then that’s fine. For me it’s that he was the singer and songwriter so it’s all his words and voice.

Weirdly, if he was in the background or the bassist or someone less synonymous with the bands image I’m not sure it would bother me as much. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's funny isn't it.  Gary Glitter has been almost erased from history.  You will never hear his songs again (and one was a Christmas staple)

Except in the states, they play Rock'n Roll Part 2 at sports-venues non stop. It's weird

edit: what @Wainy316 said

Edited by Tegis

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Re: Lostprophets. It’s my personal thing to not listen to them, if someone else’s wants to listen to them then that’s fine. For me it’s that he was the singer and songwriter so it’s all his words and voice.

Weirdly, if he was in the background or the bassist or someone less synonymous with the bands image I’m not sure it would bother me as much. 

If you did fancy supporting the other former members of Lostprophets you could always listen to No Devotion which was all of them bar the singer. Think a few have left now (not clear) and it is a little different in style... However new album is out next month on 16 September.

19 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

If you did fancy supporting the other former members of Lostprophets you could always listen to No Devotion which was all of them bar the singer. Think a few have left now (not clear) and it is a little different in style... However new album is out next month on 16 September.

I bought their first album on release but it wasn’t for me outside of a handful of songs. Bit too shoegazery for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I bought their first album on release but it wasn’t for me outside of a handful of songs. Bit too shoegazery for me. 

Fair enough. I quite liked it to be honest but it is very different to Lostprophets!

18 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the difference with Jackson and Glitter is the latter was actually convicted which lets people remain in a state of denial with regards to Jackson as despite the overwhelming evidence, he’s not a convicted offender. 

With Glitter though it’s funny that Rock n Roll part 2 does sometimes slip the net and was recently featured in Joker.  The song is pretty ingrained in a lot of American sports events too.  Tune though to be fair.

I think they justified playing it in The Joker as Glitter sold the rights to his music a while ago so doesn't benefit from it, plus the character was going a bit mad in the film so it fit.  I believe Oasis retired Hello for a long time for the same reasons until Liam brought it back recently as no royalties go to Glitter any more.

2 of the top 4 prolific posters in this thread haven't been online in 6 and 7 years respectively. The thread is under 10 years old. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

2 of the top 4 prolific posters in this thread haven't been online in 6 and 7 years respectively. The thread is under 10 years old. 

According to page one it's thirteen years old. 

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

According to page one it's thirteen years old. 

Oh yeah. In the main forum view it says 26/09/12. How odd. 

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

Oh yeah. In the main forum view it says 26/09/12. How odd. 

There are bugs in the system with the old posts (from the old software). Believe the new thing.

• Like 1

Â