General Chat

Stevo985

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That sounds like the biggest load of bollocks 😂

It's probably true to be fair, although the difference is pretty small. Looks like you go from around a 3% chance of a hip fracture to a 4% chance. Which is a 33% increase, but still.

I imagine if you weighed up the health benefits of a vegetarian diet vs a meat eating diet the benefits would still be enormous, despite the slight increase in risk of breaking your hip

42 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What did your research show?

Well i worked in trauma and orthopaedics for 5 years with various surgeons at royal free - some of the leading surgeons in the country who work with stanmore which is a orthopaedic hospital so i think ill go with what i learned through them.

Most people (not all) whose hips go are overweight people/older. When one hip goes the pressure goes onto the other one thats working. thats why you will tend to see the other hip go.

Meat of course has things in it that helps our bodies but that sorely wont be the reason you break your hip.hope that answers your question.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's probably true to be fair, although the difference is pretty small. Looks like you go from around a 3% chance of a hip fracture to a 4% chance. Which is a 33% increase, but still.

I imagine if you weighed up the health benefits of a vegetarian diet vs a meat eating diet the benefits would still be enormous, despite the slight increase in risk of breaking your hip

I agree with the part of your post about meat diet having more benefits definitely. I sometimes look at the vegan stuff just to see whats in it and its full of stuff like GMO which isnt really good for our bodies.im sure someone vegan can educate us better as thats their way of life but i definitely prefer meat to vegan stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree with the part of your post about meat diet having more benefits definitely. I sometimes look at the vegan stuff just to see whats in it and its full of stuff like GMO which isnt really good for our bodies.im sure someone vegan can educate us better as thats their way of life but i definitely prefer meat to vegan stuff. 

I didn't say that :) 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think both have pros and cons to be honest 

When weighing up whether to have a bottle of whiskey a day, there are pros and cons on each side. It doesn't mean they're balanced ;) 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The benefits of a vegetarian diet vs a meat eating diet are enormous

Would that be true though if the meat diet only consisted of fresh poultry and fish?   Seems like red or processed meat is the bad stuff.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Would that be true though if the meat diet only consisted of fresh poultry and fish?   Seems like red or processed meat is the bad stuff.

Fish in particular is hugely beneficial.

(Edit:  Should say "oily fish")

Edited by bobzy

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The benefits of a vegetarian diet vs a meat eating diet are enormous

I could be being pedantic and  maybe its only me that would live on a diet  of French fries , Donuts and cakes  ..but technically if I did I would be vegetarian  ..and I'd also have dangerously  high LDL levels  due to the amount of trans fat they contain , so i guess you would have to qualify the statement and say some vegetarian diets :) 

but , that aside  I don't' think your statement is necessarily  true , not least because a few posts above there is a story saying vegetarian women are are higher risk of bone fractures  due to  lower intakes of nutrients linked with bone and muscle health.

Anyhows , I'm sure people know which side of the debate I'm on  ...  but I agree there are some benefits to being vegetarians, but  with diet there is no one size fits all option  ... the benefits for you might be enormous , but for me the benefits of being a meat eater are enormous , (not least because on the occasions when I've increased my vegetable levels I've invariably ended up on a drip in hospital !! )

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

not least because on the occasions when I've increased my vegetable levels I've invariably ended up on a drip in hospital !!

You've mentioned this before, and I find it intriguing, as yours is literally the only case I've ever heard of with this reaction. Have you been diagnosed with anything specific? 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You've mentioned this before, and I find it intriguing, as yours is literally the only case I've ever heard of with this reaction. Have you been diagnosed with anything specific? 

Shandyitis

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Looks like someone has tried to carry out that fatwa against Salman Rushdie.

Been attacked on stage in NY and possibly stabbed.

Could be anyone who'd ever read one of his books to be fair

Â