General Chat

Stevo985

12 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Went there about 15 yrs ago just to sit on the benches, stare at the "imagine" stone plaque and contemplate stuff. What spoiled it for me was a pisspoor lennon lookalike busker, singing a few lines from a couple of Lennon's songs...that was bad enough but he was being encouraged by mug tourists who said he added to the JL experience maaan and overtipped him 🙄

For me, that imposter was the biggest rocket polisher of all.

What was weird for me was the people lying on the floor with the flowers posing for photos

there was maybe 200 people there

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Went there about 15 yrs ago just to sit on the benches, stare at the "imagine" stone plaque and contemplate stuff. What spoiled it for me was a pisspoor lennon lookalike busker, singing a few lines from a couple of Lennon's songs...that was bad enough but he was being encouraged by mug tourists who said he added to the JL experience maaan and overtipped him 🙄

For me, that imposter was the biggest rocket polisher of all.

When I went, there was a guy sat on a bench continually playing "Yesterday". The crowd around him were nodding in admiration at him! I asked him if he knew who wrote the song, and without any hesitation said "Lennon and Mccartney".

Some people just can't be helped.

• Thanks 1

Happy new year to all on here. 

We may not agree on a lot, from politics to the Beatles, but we will always follow the greatest football team in the world - no matter how much we hurt.

I've got another foot operation in 3 weeks time (😭) so I'll be around less. I might hop on during games, but I just want to share my appreciation for you all. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

We may not agree on a lot, from politics to the Beatles, but we will always follow the greatest football team in the world - no matter how much we hurt.

I've got another foot operation in 3 weeks time (😭) so I'll be around less. I might hop on during games, but I just want to share my appreciation for you all. 

Wishing you all the best for new year and your operation. 

Can you play centre forward ? I'm asking for a mate (called Dean) ;)

• Haha 1

I've gone full coffee rocket polisher in the last few weeks after having a mug of decent coffee at a friends house it made me realise how shit supermarket grinds and my cafetiere are.

I've got myself a fancy coffee grinder and a fortnightly delivery of different coffee beans. I was on the fence about shelling out a few hundred on an espresso machine but I tried an Aeropress first and it's brilliant. Yes I'm a clearing in the woods. No, I don't care. :D 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Anyone off out tonight or doing anything remotely interesting?

Haven't bothered with New year for past 5 or 6 years myself, mainly since we had the kids and due to my partner working on occasions. She is tonight until 8pm too. Imo just a massively overrated expensive night after a expensive time of year for most. Pre children I made a couple of trips to Ibiza for Circo Loco @ DC10 for NYD, which was always worthwhile! 

Edited by leighavfc

Like you, i've given NYE a wide berth over the last 6 or 7 years. Used to always be out but it got so expensive to get back home in a cab and regular places were charging more and more. Plus you get once a year drinkers who can't handle a few beers. 

Twenty years ago tonight was millenium eve (sorry @bickster,) and it was a damp squib. Most places hiked up their prices so much and no-one paid it. I remember being in Brum and everywhere we looked was empty. Ended up watching the fireworks at midnight while standing in the street with some beers we'd purchased from an off licence! 

Will no doubt sleep through another new year but possibly woken by mongy fireworks at midnight. 

New Year doesn’t have the same  appeal as when younger (and pre-kids) and now I just see it as an opportunity for bars to hike up prices etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Like you, i've given NYE a wide berth over the last 6 or 7 years. Used to always be out but it got so expensive to get back home in a cab and regular places were charging more and more. Plus you get once a year drinkers who can't handle a few beers. 

Twenty years ago tonight was millenium eve (sorry @bickster,) and it was a damp squib. Most places hiked up their prices so much and no-one paid it. I remember being in Brum and everywhere we looked was empty. Ended up watching the fireworks at midnight while standing in the street with some beers we'd purchased from an off licence! 

Yeah me too, just dont see the need to pay all that money out for a pretty standard night! I've tried many things over the years but never come away thinking that it was worth it. Best ones for me are when one of the family throws a party or some of our close friends do. Mind haven't done that for a few years either tbh. After Christmas is over, the festivities are over for me and I look forward to a bit of normality again in those days between boxing day and NYE after the 3 month build up to Christmas. 

Fair play to all those that do, and I hope you have a good night whatever your doing! I'm sure il be doing something in one of them In the years to come but at the moment I'm happy just chilling out and enjoying my last couple of days off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Will no doubt sleep through another new year but possibly woken by mongy fireworks at midnight. 

New Year doesn’t have the same  appeal as when younger (and pre-kids) and now I just see it as an opportunity for bars to hike up prices etc. 

Agreed, I've been to the local before on NYE and they are charging for tickets etc. Its free 364 days of the year ffs! Ahh well it's all up to you individually isn't it, il be watching trash tv whilst probably nodding off.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So I went to the partners parents on the 27th carrying a little bit of a chest infection from England... She's in bed, so are both of her parents :lol:

I've recovered, sat playing PlayStation drinking gin 

Must be a fairly big bed. Hope they leave you some room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â