General Chat

Stevo985

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

it's why man-caves are born

Funny you should mention that, we’ve just accepted an offer on our house and we are looking for a new one. 

The wife said we should write down a ‘wish-list’ of requirements for the new property 

I only have two. Fibre broadband and a room I could go to to get away from her and the kids 😀

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Funny you should mention that, we’ve just accepted an offer on our house and we are looking for a new one. 

The wife said we should write down a ‘wish-list’ of requirements for the new property 

I only have two. Fibre broadband and a room I could go to to get away from her and the kids 😀

Yep. We have the occasional conversation about downsizing. Always features me using the words 'recording studio'. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

I have a friend who claims they're allergic to all types of antibiotics. If this rare case is true, how would they treat someone with a serious infection? 

Contact the mortician.

I jest, a lot of people are allergic to antibiotics. Depends on the severity I guess. Antihistamines will work in most cases for mild allergic reactions. Apart from that I don't know really, I'm sure they have something that works.  

I'm allergic to Penecillin which was dicovered about age 12

I've taken anti-biotics very sparingly in adulthodd and don't think I've had a single one in the last 25-30 years

It was obvious to me even that long ago that antibiotic resistance was a thing, so the less you take, the more likely they'll work when you really need them

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've taken anti-biotics very sparingly in adulthodd and don't think I've had a single one in the last 25-30 years

It was obvious to me even that long ago that antibiotic resistance was a thing, so the less you take, the more likely they'll work when you really need them

Isn't it the bugs that have  the resistance, rather than the human?

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Isn't it the bugs that have  the resistance, rather than the human?

Yes but humans are generally taking and doctors generally prescribing far far too many. I've refused the prescription quite a few times as it was never really neccessary

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Holy **** the rain in the city centre just now. Christ.

I was driving in it. I've never had to pull over before because the wipers literally couldn't handle the amount of rain. Until today.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yes but humans are generally taking and doctors generally prescribing far far too many. I've refused the prescription quite a few times as it was never really neccessary

Yep. I think I've only taken antibiotics once in about the last twenty years, when I got cellulitis in my arm, from an infected insect bite. Doctor reckoned if it progressed any nearer my heart I'd have been in ICU - or dead. 

I had it once driving in Liverpool, zero visibility on a dual carriageway. Didn’t know whether to stop and risk being hit or keep going and risk hitting someone. Luckily it was only a few seconds.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was driving in it. I've never had to pull over before because the wipers literally couldn't handle the amount of rain. Until today.

Only experienced rain like that once, while driving in Pennsylvania, USA. Far, far heavier than anything I've ever seen in the UK. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I had to walk from the office to New Street. Only a couple of minutes walk. I was drenched within a few steps. Literally drenched. Then the hail started like bullets and the wind whipped it up even more. I got to New Street and was literally completely bedraggled. Ridiculous.

I've only ever seen rain like it once before, years back driving home from Cornwall where suddenly the heavens opened and the motorway turned into a river with visibility horrendous.

But walking in it. **** hell.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I had it once driving in Liverpool, zero visibility on a dual carriageway. Didn’t know whether to stop and risk being hit or keep going and risk hitting someone. Luckily it was only a few seconds.

Yeah this was only about 30 seconds, and if I’d been on the motorway I’d have had to carry on. But I was on a quiet road. 

But yeah, couldn’t see a thing. 

I feel very bad for @Chindie being stuck in it!!

I had one like that before Christmas on the M25. Never known anything like it in this country, it was more like the sort of tropical thunderstorm we got in Hanoi. I've never seen a motorway underwater before. That lasted for ages as well.

Thankfully the one this evening, I'd just pulled up on Asda car park.

Â