General Chat

Stevo985

Waiting to clock out I decided to have a laugh and look at the Christmas top 40.

It wasn't very funny.

The only good thing about that shit sausage roll bloke being number one is it stopped that moron Stormzy getting it.

The rest if the charts was filled with old Christmas crap, numerous Harry **** Styles bollox, even more shitty Stormzy and the rest I'd never heard of.

Well done, music purchasing people of the UK, you proved yourself totally retarded.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d be interested as to why you think he’s a moron (genuinely)

Just my opinion on what I've fleetingly seen(and very fleetingly heard). He's probably a lovely chap.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d be interested as to why you think he’s a moron (genuinely)

The way he speaks, for me. I can't stand that thicko estuary/gangsta/"know woh I mean?" accent. He may be intelligent, but he does himself no favours with the delivery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Now I got Dizzee Rascal, arguably to these old ears they plough a similar furrow, but Stormzy for me at least, why hasn't a kid, metaphorically, pointed to his nakedness yet. 

Yep I'm the same, don't mind dizzee, really like kano but stormzy does nothing for me 

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, he’s a black guy, from Croydon, grew up in south London and worked for a short while in real jobs.

How were you hoping he would sound?

If anybody is entitled to sound like a south London kid, its a south London kid. Fair enough if he was actually from Leamington Spa, but he isn’t.

We should embrace accents and difference, encourage Yorkshire to sound Yorkshire, encourage Dorset to sound Dorset. Embrace it, he’s from somewhere that isn’t mid Atlantic.

You can have a local accent without being inarticulate or sounding thick as pigshit. 

You’ve clearly heard different tape to me. I’ve heard him conversing with kids about one of his songs, he did a piece for the news and he did a spoken piece of the Christmas story for some programme on the tv a few days ago.

At no point did I think he sounded thick as pigshit. I’d have said he sounded utterly ‘normal’.

Perhaps his music sounds thick, I don’t think I’ve consciously listened to any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The way he speaks, for me. I can't stand that thicko estuary/gangsta/"know woh I mean?" accent. He may be intelligent, but he does himself no favours with the delivery. 

That’s his accent/dialect

a lot of people would say the same thing about brummies

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

In many cases they would be correct. 

I think its best you never here me speak! 

I have a strange hybrid of half Nessa from Gavin and Stacey and half an impersonation of the person I’m talking to.

Yet I’m actually spectacularly intelligent.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think its best you never here me speak! 

I have a strange hybrid of half Nessa from Gavin and Stacey and half an impersonation of the person I’m talking to.

Yet I’m actually spectacularly intelligent.

It's not just very broad accents, though, it's inarticulacy (which I very much doubt you display). All that "y'know", "knowarramean?", "innit", "I was like, he was like" stuff. I don't expect working class people to talk like Jacob Rees Mogg or the Queen, but if people in the public eye want to be taken seriously, it would help if they have a reasonable vocabulary and can string a sentence together. 

I'm afraid my predjudices are a product of my age and upbringing - working class kid who got a lot out of a 1960s grammar school education. 

Perhaps this belongs in the 'unpopular opinions' thread. 

EDIT: I'm also predjudiced against Stormzy (stupid name, too) because of the genre of pseudo-music he perpetrates. Another unpopular opinion: ALL rap/hip hop/grime/whatever this week's name for it is, is shit. All of it. No exceptions. 

Age again, I expect. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â