General Chat

Stevo985

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It didn't. but there was a lack of footage, which is all anyone is really interested in.

True. However, the dentist that killed Cecil the lion last year was also world wide news and as far as I know there wasn't any video footage of that. I suppose the outrage in that case was invoked partly by the celebratory pictures.

I just find it curious how some stories are picked up and make massive headlines and other, similar stories aren't. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad

26 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

True. However, the dentist that killed Cecil the lion last year was also world wide news and as far as I know there wasn't any video footage of that. I suppose the outrage in that case was invoked partly by the celebratory pictures.

I just find it curious how some stories are picked up and make massive headlines and other, similar stories aren't.

I think the key difference with Cecil the lion is that he was killed for sport/fun.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it's annoying me.

Loads of people saying "The Gorilla wasn't doing anything to the child. it was protecting it! They shouldn't have shot it blah blah blah.

It would take about half a second for the gorilla to destroy that kid. Just because it's not killing him at that exact moment doesn't mean it won't. For all they know it could have bitten his head off if they'd waited 10 seconds longer. It's not like they coudl wait until the Gorilla was attacking the child to then shoot it.

It's horrible that they've had to do that when it's not the gorilla's fault, and the mother/zoo should totally be punished for that. But they really didn't have any other choice.

I agree. I think I was the CEO of the zoo and given the facts and having to make an instant decision it would have been to shoot the Gorilla as hard as that is. Knowing how bad things were going to be, having a dead boy also would make things many times worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think the key difference with Cecil the lion is that he was killed for sport/fun.

This for me, the other two there wasn't much choice. Imagine the gorilla killed the child it would have been much worse. i read recently that a man fell into a walrus pit accidentally and the walrus was just hugging the man but taking him underwater. The trainer jumped in and tried to save him but same thing happened and both drowned. easily could have happened here with the kid. the parent(s) in my view is responsible. 

And whilst the Gorilla was protecting the child at points, he was also dragging him around like a rag doll at others. Even if he wasn't being agressive, he could easily have killed the child accidentally.

There was no other option than to shoot it. Again, it's horrible that they had to do it, and I blame the mother more than anyone (assuming no extenuating circumstances), but it had to be done.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

And whilst the Gorilla was protecting the child at points, he was also dragging him around like a rag doll at others. Even if he wasn't being agressive, he could easily have killed the child accidentally.

There was no other option than to shoot it. Again, it's horrible that they had to do it, and I blame the mother more than anyone (assuming no extenuating circumstances), but it had to be done.

You should know as well as anyone that Donna Air did the same thing, and if its good enough for her it should be good enough for the general public.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You should know as well as anyone that Donna Air did the same thing, and if its good enough for her it should be good enough for the general public.

Pipe down you manc clearing in the woods ;)

A colleague was up town the other week when she got a phone call from another colleague. She got her phone out, pulled a face and said to other colleagues she was out with "Ugh, look, nobhead is calling me. It's 11pm on a friday night, she can f off" and cut the call. She turned round, guess who was standing behind her.

Awwwwkward. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

A colleague was up town the other week when she got a phone call from another colleague. She got her phone out, pulled a face and said to other colleagues she was out with "Ugh, look, nobhead is calling me. It's 11pm on a friday night, she can f off" and cut the call. She turned round, guess who was standing behind her.

Awwwwkward. 

Cat fight? What happened next?>

On 31/05/2016 at 00:12, Meath_Villan said:

social media uproar over the gorilla thing..... seen the vid  .....shoot the **** gorilla tranquillizers would have taken too much time 

That it general is one for the piss you off thread. Some word removed sitting at home thinks he knows more than the experts. "The gorilla was protecting the boy" - says who? Unless he's **** Mowgli or Tarzan he has no idea.

On 31 May 2016 at 11:13, Shropshire Lad said:

Twitter warriors 

I really wish I didn't live in an apartment on days like today. Love my own garden.

Although in the winter, surprisingly, not having a garden isn't an issue! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

I've never heard anyone call it 'Shrowsbury' in real life. Everyone calls it Shrewsbury from both sides of the river and from all walks of life.

I've always said Shrowsbury. Because that's what my Mom said.

Never been there, mind.

Â