General Chat

Stevo985

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

its like the 6 week holidays that lasted for ages when you was,but now they fly by.

And it always used to be red hot all summer!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

when i was growing up in the 90s, the 70s seemed so far away in time. now, twenty years on, the 90s don't seem that far away at all and yet they are to kids today what the 70s were for me.

I was a kid in the 60s, and my parents used to talk about WWII - twenty years before. So I fixed 'twenty years' in my head as a massively long time.

As you say, twenty years ago is now 1996. That feels VERY recent to me. Makes me realise how recent the war must have felt to my parents - and how long ago 1996 must feel to kids today. 

Both of those things seem strange.

• Like 4

I thought it was because of a hormone in our bodies which is high in levels when we're born, but the level drops as you get older, making time seem to go quicker.

I read it a few years ago, probably a silly article on the BBC or some such, but it's what I remember.

The FA Cup is in my work today. If I'd known it was going to be here, I'd have wore a suit. Not sure the security guard is going to let me put the lid on my head, and fill the cup up with lemonade.

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Whenever Tomasz Schafernaker does the weather I feel compelled to shout Boom Schafernakernaker, Boom Schafernakernaker. 

I have a similar experience with the local newsreader down here in that London. 

Him: "Good morning, I'm Assad Ahmed"

Me: "Well cheer up then"

• Like 2

Well this is weird, I thought it was only me with such a strange compulsion.

Whenever I hear the word Shanghai used on the tv or radio, I can't help but repeat back 'Shanghai!' in my best surprised generic asian man impression.

Surely you're not alone in that.

The one I have to suppress is anytime anyone says "I've got a feeling", I immediately shout "Woohoo". I've even done it in meetings at work. I have worked hard to internalise it though so I keep it in my brain and just smile to myself. I don't think I even know what song it's from or the artist but it amuses me greatly.

24 minutes ago, choffer said:

Surely you're not alone in that.

The one I have to suppress is anytime anyone says "I've got a feeling", I immediately shout "Woohoo". I've even done it in meetings at work. I have worked hard to internalise it though so I keep it in my brain and just smile to myself. I don't think I even know what song it's from or the artist but it amuses me greatly.

The best one of those ever was in a work project meeting, when somebody said "I think we've almost reached the stage where we can start to clear out some of the dead wood". Without missing a beat, my mate burst out "OHHHH... the Deadwood stage is a comin' on over the hillllllll..." 

Legend.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

I've mentioned it before , but in meetings I always answer  "Where do we go from here "  ...with "Down to the lake I fear"

usually followed by awkward silence people looking at their feet and the gentle shuffling of paper   , I have to ring my mate after the meeting to reassure myself that it was indeed the correct response and he would have done the same

( the actual lyric is where does IT go from here , but meh , close enough )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well this is weird, I thought it was only me with such a strange compulsion.

Whenever I hear the word Shanghai used on the tv or radio, I can't help but repeat back 'Shanghai!' in my best surprised generic asian man impression.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

i'm going to start learning latin (again) over summer. should be fun. may do a course in the autumn.

Why? would it not be more usefull to learn a language still used today?

Mandarin for example....

Edited by zak

Beware, o farmers, lest you will have been overcome by the barbarians. 

Nominative, vocative, accusative, genetive, dative, ablative. 

Â