General Chat

Stevo985

To be fair to useless, he actually gets ribbed about some of the stuff he posts (particuarly from one of our bearded, DHUTWU loving posters), for being too out there in his musical tastes. All in good humour obviously.

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

J-pop and K-pop are no different than any other pop (K-pop is basically appropriation of Western pop anyway). I think they're generally more well crafted than a lot of our phoned in stuff over here too. I'm struggling to think of the Western equivalent to Utada Hikaru's DEEP RIVER for example. There's really nothing on that level in the mainstream here.

Thank you for a real answer :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

and you usually get mocked on VT if you admit to listening to something that anybody has ever heard of.

I thought you only got mocked if you liked Queen  ?

if im not into a certain genre of music i normally dont get involved. useless and Xann are into some weird stuff but it takes all kinds i suppose, but im very suck in my ways regarding music and dont normally like change, although i do sometimes come out of my comfort zone. my stuff on here is considered pretty normal id say, but to some of my friends im into weird music as they are not familiar with it at all.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

if im not into a certain genre of music i normally dont get involved. useless and Xann are into some weird stuff but it takes all kinds i suppose, but im very suck in my ways regarding music and dont normally like change, although i do sometimes come out of my comfort zone. my stuff on here is considered pretty normal id say, but to some of my friends im into weird music as they are not familiar with it at all.

Rev setup a VT spotify list once upon a time  ... I did get to hear and subsequently like  MGTM off the back of that but other than that I'm kinda set in my ways music wise  ... None of this last orders and drunkenly sing along to One Direction  thinking I'm being ironic lark for me as I simply don't know any of their music

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Rev setup a VT spotify list once upon a time  ... I did get to hear and subsequently like  MGTM off the back of that but other than that I'm kinda set in my ways music wise  ... None of this last orders and drunkenly sing along to One Direction  thinking I'm being ironic lark for me as I simply don't know any of their music

i think its a conservative thing being " set in your ways" :)

• Like 1

Did a little more reading about Shackleton's adventure, and the guy who was the real hero was Capt. Worsley. First of all, the Norwegian whalers warned Shackleton not to make the trip because the ice pack was so fierce. He refused their advice. Then, when they actually saw land, he decided to gamble and keep sailing so that their overland trek would be shorter. Worsley tried to dissuade him of this as well. And without Worsley's navigational skill, they'd never have survived the rescue voyage.

It was Shackleton's arrogance that got their ship crushed and nearly killed all of them. Charismatic leader of men and tough as nails, but not quite the kind of hero he's made out to be.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Did a little more reading about Shackleton's adventure, and the guy who was the real hero was Capt. Worsley. First of all, the Norwegian whalers warned Shackleton not to make the trip because the ice pack was so fierce. He refused their advice. Then, when they actually saw land, he decided to gamble and keep sailing so that their overland trek would be shorter. Worsley tried to dissuade him of this as well. And without Worsley's navigational skill, they'd never have survived the rescue voyage.

It was Shackleton's arrogance that got their ship crushed and nearly killed all of them. Charismatic leader of men and tough as nails, but not quite the kind of hero he's made out to be.

I'm always torn on these kind of stories  ... I think the pioneers like Shackelton had to have an element of bloody mindedness about them in order to achieve the impossible ... it's easy to look back on it 100 years later and point out where they went wrong and their flaws  ..... but equally it's only fitting that people like Worsley also get the proper acknowledgment

Â