General Chat

Stevo985

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Being a 'hero' today and working despite having the flu, feel exhausted, can barely concentrate and keep going hot or cold. Moral of the story, workplace 'hero's' are mugs, I should have called in sick.

And you can rest safe in the knowledge that the majority of those you infected by going in today WILL ring in sick soon, meaning you can work extra hard when you start feeling better.  We have a word* for people who go in to work genuinely sick and it's not 'hero'. ;)

* Well it's actually 2 words

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly thought discussions about J Pop were people joking.

I didn't realise it was an even remotely serious genre.

Why would people be joking. Its just pop music that comes from Japan. To say that you didn't reazlize, it was a remotely serious genre, is musical snobbery at its worst.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Why would people be joking. Its just pop music that comes from Japan. To say that you didn't reazlize, it was a remotely serious genre, is musical snobbery at its worst.

:crylaugh: how the **** is it musical snobbery?

If anything it's musical ignorance. 

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

And you can rest safe in the knowledge that the majority of those you infected by going in today WILL ring in sick soon, meaning you can work extra hard when you start feeling better.  We have a word* for people who go in to work genuinely sick and it's not 'hero'. ;)

* Well it's actually 2 words

Sometimes it's hard to gauge. I wasn't too bad last night, and wasn't that bad this morning, but was feeling awful by around 11. Things around here are fractious at the moment so I don't think going home today would have been allowed so easily, so hopefully the person I'm referring to gets my germs.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Ah right.  That's different then I suppose.  I was referring to those troopers who brave the elasticated rubber green snot to sit in work shivering.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah right.  That's different then I suppose.  I was referring to those troopers who brave the elasticated rubber green snot to sit in work shivering.

Yes, I hate those, they then compare 'war stories' and brag about not being off sick for 'several years' as though it's a badge of honour. 

45 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Being a 'hero' today and working despite having the flu, feel exhausted, can barely concentrate and keep going hot or cold. Moral of the story, workplace 'hero's' are mugs, I should have called in sick.

Xela doesn't like this.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly thought discussions about J Pop were people joking.

I didn't realise it was an even remotely serious genre. 

16 minutes ago, useless said:

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh: how the **** is it musical snobbery?

If anything it's musical ignorance. 

Its not that you don't think its not a remotely serious genre, that makes it snobbish (actually I suppose it does a bit), its that you dismiss others as joking when talking about it. Looking down others is rather snobbish, no wonder there's only a few posters who post in the album and what song are you listening to now threads, others are probably scared of being judged by those with elitist views on music. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

... others are probably scared of being judged by those with elitist views on music. 

No one should be scared, there's some right old cack in there already :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, useless said:

Its not that you don't think its not a remotely serious genre, that makes it snobbish (actually I suppose it does a bit), its that you dismiss others as joking when talking about it. Looking down others is rather snobbish, no wonder there's only a few posters who post in the album and what song are you listening to now threads, others are probably scared of being judged by those with elitist views on music. 

Needless to say you've got completely the wrong end of the stick here.

I have never in my life heard a J Pop song. I didn't realise it was a real thing.

That's what I'm talking about. How can I be snobbish about something I've never heard?

if you'd read any of my posts about music on here you'd realise I'm probably the least music snobbish poster on here. And in fact the reason I don't post in the Album thread is for the exact reason you've mentioned. I've never heard of anything in there, and you usually get mocked on VT if you admit to listening to something that anybody has ever heard of.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Apart from Xann most of the stuff posted in the music threads is pretty well known stuff. I myself have posted loads of stuff by people like Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and not once been mocked. Its in here now whilst talking about j pop that I've been mocked (albeit not directly and I appreciate that you are now pleading ignorance rather than elitism) 

Like I said, I don't post in there. But the few times I've been in there it's been full of music I've never heard of.

And I didn't say you get mocked in there. I said you get mocked on VT for liking popular music. So your last sentence was exactly my point (even though you've invented the fact that you were getting mocked in this case.)

Edited by Stevo985

J-pop and K-pop are no different than any other pop (K-pop is basically appropriation of Western pop anyway). I think they're generally more well crafted than a lot of our phoned in stuff over here too. I'm struggling to think of the Western equivalent to Utada Hikaru's DEEP RIVER for example. There's really nothing on that level in the mainstream here.

• Like 1

Â