General Chat

Stevo985

EMAP are ditching all printed media and will be renamed.

One of my former employers. Very interesting to hear that.

I had a stint working for them too.

My first "big-time" journalism job. I didn't do too well but somehow never got sacked. But even way back then they seemed to be focusing more on their conference services business rather than journalism. 

10 days into the month over 14 in total off the booze damn I feel like I could inhale a pint of Guinness right about now .......roll on next month...

my last alcoholic drink was August 22nd  ..and boy was it a session  :) 

But I'll often go months at a time without any alcohol , I don't drink at home around the kids and I don't really enjoy just having 2 or 3 pints and then going home , I'd rather stay sober  

I save it all up and do a monster session every now and then with shots and cocktails that you set on fire  and so on ... and as luck would have it I'm going out this Sat for such a session

• Like 3

10 days into the month over 14 in total off the booze damn I feel like I could inhale a pint of Guinness right about now .......roll on next month...

But I'll often go months at a time without any alcohol , I don't drink at home around the kids and I don't really enjoy just having 2 or 3 pints and then going home , I'd rather stay sober  

I save it all up and do a monster session every now and then with shots and cocktails that you set on fire  and so on ... and as luck would have it I'm going out this Sat for such a session

Totally the opposite for me.

I like to have 4-5 pints (or a bottle of wine) a few times a week and get a nice relaxing buzz on, but i've never been interested in massive sessions where I can't remember much about the previous night.

• Like 4

Krispy Kreme doughnuts are so addictive. I only like the original glazed doughnut but it truly is something else.

Used to visit the one at New Malden with the kids after their Hungarian school , the kids would have their noses pressed up against the glass window watching them be made and going around the conveyor belt ..Mmmmmmm  fresh donut smell , was always something satisfying about watching a rogue donut fall off the conveyor belt and not conform like the other sheep donuts though

then we'd buy a box and demolish them

• Like 1

I like to have 4-5 pints (or a bottle of wine) a few times a week and get a nice relaxing buzz on, but i've never been interested in massive sessions where I can't remember much about the previous night.

That's another strange one for me ..In that I never have this "can't remember anything" problem the next morning ...even after a monster  cocktail session accompanied by vodka drinking session with Ukraine soldiers resulting in me falling  off my bar stool in Kiev ....   I can still remember puking in a large fountain (actually a national landmark , sorry Kiev) an encounter with a Policeman , puking in a slightly smaller fountain ( sorry mrs Shevchenko who lives at umber 45 )  and waking up a few  hours later with enough presence of mind to get my phone out and take photo's of my mate with his head down the toilet puking  

don't get me wrong I'll look and feel like shit but I'll remember every detail right down to which mate tried to weasel out of paying his share towards the cab

I must confess that Kiev was an exceptional few days and I don't usually fall of barstools , but then it's not everyday you get greeted with a  cocktail menu that double dares you by saying " only one of these is enough " meaning that you have to have 3 of them to prove what a double hard bastard you are 

Edited by tonyh29

Krispy Kreme doughnuts are so addictive. I only like the original glazed doughnut but it truly is something else.

Used to visit the one at New Malden with the kids after their Hungarian school , the kids would have their noses pressed up against the glass window watching them be made and going around the conveyor belt ..Mmmmmmm  fresh donut smell , was always something satisfying about watching a rogue donut fall off the conveyor belt and not conform like the other sheep donuts though

then we'd buy a box and demolish them

Likewise sometimes drive past the one in Enfield when I'm coming back from Leamington. If they are making a fresh batch you can get a free hot doughnut if you go to the drive thru!

Is the pop-up asking you to turn of adblock going to be there permanently? It is extremelly annoying.

just a guess but I reckon it will disappear if you turn off Adblock ....

• Like 1

my last alcoholic drink was August 22nd  ..and boy was it a session  [emoji4] 

4-5 pints Friday, Saturday and Sunday and a big session most week nights. It's easier to drink during the week, less 'part timers'. And SHE says I have a problem!

Is the pop-up asking you to turn of adblock going to be there permanently? It is extremelly annoying.

That just miiiiight be the point of it ;-)

• Like 1

just a guess but I reckon it will disappear if you turn off Adblock ....

You don't have to turn it off.

You can add VillaTalk to your white list (a list of sites that Ad Block is disabled for).

You should definitely do it, because not doing it means Limpid doesn't get any money from advertisers and he can't save up for that huge party he promised to throw us

• Like 2

It was good to meet rjw, ajw, OBE (sorry fella didn't realise it was you until after) and Brumerican at the game yesterday. Ended up being a bit of a sesh, feeling sore today no lie.

I can stake my mortgage that ajw was wearing shorts

surprised nobody has commented on the obvious link of feeling sore and Rob 

You guys got the initials wrong... :angry:

It was good to meet rjw, ajw, OBE (sorry fella didn't realise it was you until after) and Brumerican at the game yesterday. Ended up being a bit of a sesh, feeling sore today no lie.

I can stake my mortgage that ajw was wearing shorts

surprised nobody has commented on the obvious link of feeling sore and Rob 

You guys got the initials wrong... :angry:

we went with the Icelandic patronymic version whereby you are referred to as son of rjw  *

* before any pedants write in I know that technically that would make him ars :)

Anyone ever fitted that frosted privacy film stuff on their front windows? I'm ordering some but dreading cocking it up. Is it relatively easy to do?

Simple enough if you can be patient, steady handed and have the right tools.

Make sure the glass is spectacularly clean. Not given a wipe clean, given a proper alcohol based cleaner clean and run a decent blade over the surface to get any tiny grits off. The tiniest little piece of grit will look like a bubble when the film is applied.

Dont try and cut it right up to the window edge, cut it 5mm short for a better, sharper finish.

If you've got spare, practise somewhere less visible first, just to get used to what the materials do. Gets a life of it's own if it's charged with static.

Have a sharp knife, a sharp knife blade, a squeejie, squirty bottle of water / cleaning fluid, a few rags or sponges before you start. Change your blade before it's blunt not once it's proved it's gone blunt.

But yeah, not the hardest job in the world. Unless you've put patterns, lines, wording and shapes into the design! 

• Like 1

That's a job I'd make an utter balls of.  I worked in a chipper as a young fella and had to put something similar onto the door of one of the soft drinks fridges.  It didn't go well.  Once it's even a millimetre crooked at the top, you're gonna have a bad time.

It's fine, but if you are cutting yourself measure twice (three times), cut once.  Older windows may not be exactly square!

As above - super clean windows and plenty of liquid.  The positioning is quite forgiving as long as you have the size right.

Â