General Chat

Stevo985

Right, so I have a visit at a Catholic school tomorrow for my NQT post. Shall I be upfront about my non-Catholicism? Shall I just see how it goes? I don't want it to be a sticking point if I like the school.

Right, so I have a visit at a Catholic school tomorrow for my NQT post. Shall I be upfront about my non-Catholicism? Shall I just see how it goes? I don't want it to be a sticking point if I like the school.

I don't think it is an issue. I had non-Catholic teachers in school, and if it doesn't matter here, it really doesn't matter in England.

If nobody asks then just don't say anything. If they do just say you're not a Catholic. Simple.

I was looking at the curriculum though. So much RE that I'll have absolutely no idea about. I mean, I don't mind swatting up on it if the job looks promising, but I don't want to get schooled by a kid who knows more about it than me :D

Which school?

It normally depends on the school, but most of them don't care as long as you're a good teacher. The main sticking point would be if you're going for a senior post and if the local priest is insistent on Catholic teachers.

It's in Cannock.

Yeah, somebody at my current school said that. But to be honest, if I was going for a promotion I'd probably go for a bigger school anyway. Getting an NQT post is important just to get your foot in the ladder.

I suppose the best advice is to be up front about it if they ask.  Last thing you want is to be accepted at first only to be rejected after because they thought you was something you are not (which is not a bad thing btw). Just don't go in there telling them as if it's an issue - the chances are, they won't care. 

Edited by trekka

Ah ok.

If it was in Leicestershire there could have been a good chance it would be the school my Mom is head at, and I'd advise you to stay away as she's retiring and the new priest is a bit too insistent on Catholic principles apparently, at the risk of making the school a bit worse.

But as long as the priest isn't too insistent on Catholic teachers there shouldn't be any problems, it will probably only be used as a qualifier if they can't pick between two teachers.

The best RE teachers I had at school were the ones who were upfront about not believing in god and would give a balanced lesson on beliefs where as the christian teachers would try to pass it off as if god existed.

• Like 2

The best RE teachers I had at school were the ones who were upfront about not believing in god and would give a balanced lesson on beliefs where as the christian teachers would try to pass it off as if god existed.

My RE teacher used to put films on in every lesson, stuff like Zulu and braveheart, he also used to let us smoke out of the window at the back of the class

He wasn't a bad teacher thinking about it

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1

Getting an NQT post is important just to get your foot in the ladder.

Is it though? I thought NQT's were just treated as canon-fodder? You take one on because there's a financial incentive to do so but you only give them a year and then trade them in for as new one with a new set of financial inducements.

I found with my best RE teacher (secondary school) that his beliefs had no bearing on his teaching ability, the curriculum wasn't rigid like with some of them, we learnt about different faiths and other life issues and it was much better than learning bible passages or all about Jesus/God, it's religious education not Christian/Catholic education.

I find it absolutely astonishing that in this day and age we force teach religious education.

Good luck to you Stefan if it's what you want, but I'm also surprised you're able to suspend your beliefs enough to work in a Catholic school. Pictures of Jesus everywhere you look and that, it'd drive me potty.

• Like 2

Â