General Chat

Stevo985

7 hours ago, bickster said:

possibly one of THE WORST records ever made, it even contains bagpipes. Yes she bought me Mull of word removeding Kintyre…

Thankfully she never repeated this experiment.

Well obviously not. Why would you need 2 copies?🤪

• Haha 2

I was a little lucky in that my folks liked The Kinks, The Stones, The Beatles et al, my mom also liked Gene Pitney and The Hollies (both of which I have a soft spot for) and had a decent selection of singles on vinyl. 

My dad on the other hand liked the New Seekers… that was my alarm clock as a teenager. When that came on at some ungodly early hour I would be out of bed, showered and out the house within minutes… 

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Top Of The Pops used to actually have quite a diverse group of acts on it so there was almost always something that somebody in the family liked and you were exposed to different types of songs from the top 40.  I think it helped develop your music taste at a young age, these days I'd have thought that things like Spotify just feed kids the same sort of songs unless they go out of their way to listen to a more mixed playlist.

When we went with our kids a couple of years ago to see Kaizer Chiefs my sons mate asked if he was turning into some sort of Goth or something. He was being genuine. 

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This band won a Brit Award this year:

and people used to be critical of Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Coldplay, Travis etc. 

34 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It seems like the band members are in competition with each other. Notice me! No, look at me! Listen to me!

I remember laughing really hard when this type of music first came out.

Never got the BMTH hype to be honest. My eldest used to absolutely love them, and although she and I share a lot of musical overlap this was one where we drastically differed.

Oh, and by all accounts Oli Sykes is an absolute word removed so there's that.

• Like 1

Ha, well that is from 2006 and in no way representative of the music they will have won the Brit for.

They've gradually mellowed before pretty much becoming a full blown pop band a few years ago but have now delved into a bit more heaviness recently.  Nothing like their deathcore roots though.

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I'm a big fan of albums to 2 to 5 and the survival horror EP but yeah this appears to be true.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Well, that was a nice cheery upbeat song.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Never got the BMTH hype to be honest. My eldest used to absolutely love them, and although she and I share a lot of musical overlap this was one where we drastically differed.

Oli Sykes absolutely is a word removed, but the band make decent stuff.  From their very much deathcore days (I think the track linked is from the early 00's) to their more popular stuff (Throne being used on MOTD etc), they'd made a decent fist of changing their sound.

I'm fairly sure Sempiternal will be up there as one of my most listened to albums.

(Edit:  Missed @Wainy316's post :D)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I've never followed them as a band closely at all, and didn't know about Sykes being a wrong 'un. They put on a bloody good live show though, had a blast seeing them at Download without knowing much of their catalogue, even though it was all much more mainstream stuff than the above.

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well, that was a nice cheery upbeat song.

To show their range, this is the other end of the spectrum

I don't like either song but some of the stuff between it is great.

This is a band that sells out the Genting arena.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Of all the countries, nowhere scares me more than Haiti. Incidentally, I remember them being in the 1974 World Cup. 

I’m going to Domincan Republic in the summer, hopefully it settles down by then and doesn’t still over the border.

Just now, Genie said:

I’m going to Domincan Republic in the summer, hopefully it settles down by then and doesn’t still over the border.

Produced some decent boxers over the years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Of all the countries, nowhere scares me more than Haiti. 

Makes you grateful that we were born in Western Europe, when you look at the vast number of basket case countries in the world. 

Â