General Chat

Stevo985

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Cancel culture ennit! Imagine a program talking about a office w*** now, probably have to be said by a women, just to even things up. 😂

Or comedy just moved on to different formats, just like the sitcom kinda died out. Or maybe you were being sarcastic?

23 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Or comedy just moved on to different formats, just like the sitcom kinda died out. Or maybe you were being sarcastic?

I'm being sarcastic yes, but has it moved on? Like people have said those kind of comedy's have died and have not been replaced, the way things are going, any decent comedy will be a thing of the past, it's not far off now.

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm being sarcastic yes, but has it moved on? Like people have said those kind of comedy's have died and have not been replaced, the way things are going, any decent comedy will be a thing of the past, it's not far off now.

Moved on in the sense that it's not the primary popular format yes I guess. I agree though that we're not exactly living in the golden ages of comedy XD.

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Whatever happened to those kind of sketch shows? There was loads of them in the 90’s.

Big Train, Smack the Pony, Man Stroke Woman. Even stuff like Hale & Pace and Smith & Jones.

Now nothing. It’s a shame.

*sharp intake of breath* The sketch show has declined as a format because even the best ones were roughly in the 60% shite to 40% good sketch ratio, and the "good" tends to be so interwoven to it's zeitgeist that watching them back quickly devolves into diminishing returns if you weren't "there at the time", so to speak.  And I say that as a someone who loved Big Train, Man Stroke Woman, Bruiser etc.

My biggest complaint about Game Of Thrones - more so than the final season, even - is that Ben Crompton from MSW turned up in the Night's Watch and not once did his character turn to someone and remark "you said there'd be girls here".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

the way things are going, any decent comedy will be a thing of the past, it's not far off now.

Big "modern music is rubbish" energy there.

• Like 1

I dont think its the content, I think Sketch comedy has fallen out of favour, tastes change but its not neccessarily the message thats the issue. **** panel shows are what passes for comedy now, but there are also a lot of fantastic sit coms. Perhaps, broadly, with the advent of so many streaming services, comedy is getting diluted. Occassionally something good happens but you have to search around for it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont think its the content, I think Sketch comedy has fallen out of favour, tastes change but its not neccessarily the message thats the issue. **** panel shows are what passes for comedy now, but there are also a lot of fantastic sit coms. Perhaps, broadly, with the advent of so many streaming services, comedy is getting diluted. Occassionally something good happens but you have to search around for it. 

I’d have thought with the success of shorts/reels/tiktok’s that the comedy sketch shows could make a resurgence. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d have thought with the success of shorts/reels/tiktok’s that the comedy sketch shows could make a resurgence. 

I completely agree, I watch a lot and its all character driven in short bitesize chunks. I could see a terestrial channel working with someone like Munya Chawawa or in particular Adrian Bliss, they are excellent and would work well in a traditional sketch show format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I am so utterly bored of panel shows. 

So so many of them and all much of a muchness. 

They all look for a twist but ultimately its all a set up for comedians to deliver their previous punchlines. 

I'd love a new sketch show or decent sitcom 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Definitely. It is amazing who and what you come across in this industry that's for sure.

k%2B0A=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

12 hours later and no Kenneth .....

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

The sketch show has declined as a format because even the best ones were roughly in the 60% shite to 40% good sketch ratio, and the "good" tends to be so interwoven to it's zeitgeist that watching them back quickly devolves into diminishing returns if you weren't "there at the time", so to speak. 

I agree. I'm very much of the Monty Python generation, and for all the fact that I was a huge fan at the time, that 60/40 ratio holds true. And it hasn't aged well (but then very little comedy does). 

• Like 2

Re sitcoms, I think the production companies have realised that it's easier and cheaper to do a panel show, with the same financial return. Why bother with sets, scripts, rehearsals etc when you can just plonk some funny people in a studio, film the results and cash in? 

• Like 1

Â