General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Two of todays victims were students at the Uni of Nottingham :( 

With it being early hours of the morning in such a student heavy place I did fear that would be the case.

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or maybe its because the VT OT Massive are better human beings than most, realise that the only thing worth talking about is other peoples reactions until, you know, some of them pesky facts emerge.

People in the match thread are watching / listening to something (almost) live, it isn't a valid comparison

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Incoming vent:

We have a house which we use during the summer for my wife's work (in another town) and we rent it out for the other 9 months of the year.

The tenant just moved out and has left the place a complete state. Just dirty everywhere. Couldn't have vacuumed for months. There's even a brown Christmas tree leaned up by the side of the house FFS. Some of the carpets I going to have to rent a carpet cleaner for

So now I have anxiety for days about having to withhold part or the deposit - or really the anxiety is about sending an email telling her what I'm withholding. Then waiting for a response. Will she accept it? Or argue and make a fuss. I know I'm in the right but it still stresses me out.

She's a single mother, 2 kids. I don't want to keep her money - but it's gong to cost money to get the place back up to standard. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A day spent in London on client site today. I know this of course but the cost of rail travel is absolutely horrific. I could get a flight and it would be considerably cheaper but due to flights needing MD approval I have to go the train route. Back there next week and that's another 275. 

38 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Incoming vent:

We have a house which we use during the summer for my wife's work (in another town) and we rent it out for the other 9 months of the year.

The tenant just moved out and has left the place a complete state. Just dirty everywhere. Couldn't have vacuumed for months. There's even a brown Christmas tree leaned up by the side of the house FFS. Some of the carpets I going to have to rent a carpet cleaner for

So now I have anxiety for days about having to withhold part or the deposit - or really the anxiety is about sending an email telling her what I'm withholding. Then waiting for a response. Will she accept it? Or argue and make a fuss. I know I'm in the right but it still stresses me out.

She's a single mother, 2 kids. I don't want to keep her money - but it's gong to cost money to get the place back up to standard. 🤬

Take photos of everything you are retaining some of the deposit for, and if you're having to get anyone in to do anything keep copies of quotes and receipts.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Incoming vent:

Tough one. Did she pay her rent on time? Is anything broken/missing? If its just dirty/messy then I'd give the deposit back. I know its not nice having to get professional cleaners in but it could be worse. Any withholding of the deposit could turn into a saga etc. Just not worth it in my opinion. I think with rentals, you need to budget in a full professional after every tenant. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s mental you can fly to Spain or Italy for about £20 but the train to London is 10x that amount.

i was reading some comments on a site about Isle of Wight holidays*, because apparently some of the coastal towns there are in decline. At over £100 to take your car on the ferry there, it's no wonder people aren't going. 

*we used to holiday in Shanklin when I was young, so always thought about going back one day. 

I took the wife and eldest to Villa Park for Pink. Queues to get in were mental. They are in Trinity, North end side. I thought I'd walk them through the main car park. That was no access, then steps up past Holte were no access, finally got all the way round and realised the queue went all the way back to the Holte hotel 😂 I left them to it at that point.

It probably said in the information but of course I just said I know where you need to go😁

Hopefully picking them up is a bit smoother.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I took the wife and eldest to Villa Park for Pink. Queues to get in were mental. They are in Trinity, North end side. I thought I'd walk them through the main car park. That was no access, then steps up past Holte were no access, finally got all the way round and realised the queue went all the way back to the Holte hotel 😂 I left them to it at that point.

It probably said in the information but of course I just said I know where you need to go😁

Hopefully picking them up is a bit smoother.

This is a good point. I was thinking of rocking up at 6.30 for a 7pm start. Didn't think about queues. 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

i was reading some comments on a site about Isle of Wight holidays*, because apparently some of the coastal towns there are in decline. At over £100 to take your car on the ferry there, it's no wonder people aren't going. 

*we used to holiday in Shanklin when I was young, so always thought about going back one day. 

There was a picture on social media the other day, a plane full of West Ham fans on their way home from the Conference League final flying back to… Dublin. It was loads cheaper to go from London to Dublin to Prague than London to Prague direct.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is a good point. I was thinking of rocking up at 6.30 for a 7pm start. Didn't think about queues. 

This was about half 5 I think. They had just queued in tesco for a good while for the toilet. I should have just dropped and ran then, but Mrs doesn't like big crowds and not knowing where she's going so thought I'd walk them to the gate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

This was about half 5 I think. They had just queued in tesco for a good while for the toilet. I should have just dropped and ran then, but Mrs doesn't like big crowds and not knowing where she's going so thought I'd walk them to the gate.

She sounds like the perfect sha fan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've been a few times to the IOW (seeing as I live close to the ferry port and hovercraft).  I drove my folks around there in a day during the summer once.  That was lovely, quick little stop offs everywhere with good food and nice(ish) scenery.  I also took them over to Ryde to jump on the little train and the day on steam train.  That was lovely again - really simple and easy to get there on the hovercraft (10 minutes from Southsea). I then took my sister and brother-in-law there just before Christmas.  They were down to see me for a few days and we thought "well it'll be different".  It certainly was - EVERYTHING was closed.  The highlight was getting on board the ferry back to Portsmouth.  We were freezing and wet for the most part too.  My mate also visited once and took his girlfriend over for 3 nights just to have a nosey around (around March-time if I recall).  Again, EVERYTHING was closed.  He asked the hotel they were staying at where's a nice place to go out for an evening meal and the response was "well there's a cafe that sells chips, might not be open though". I might not go back for a while. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, trekka said:

I've been a few times to the IOW (seeing as I live close to the ferry port and hovercraft).  I drove my folks around there in a day during the summer once.  That was lovely, quick little stop offs everywhere with good food and nice(ish) scenery.  I also took them over to Ryde to jump on the little train and the day on steam train.  That was lovely again - really simple and easy to get there on the hovercraft (10 minutes from Southsea). I then took my sister and brother-in-law there just before Christmas.  They were down to see me for a few days and we thought "well it'll be different".  It certainly was - EVERYTHING was closed.  The highlight was getting on board the ferry back to Portsmouth.  We were freezing and wet for the most part too.  My mate also visited once and took his girlfriend over for 3 nights just to have a nosey around (around March-time if I recall).  Again, EVERYTHING was closed.  He asked the hotel they were staying at where's a nice place to go out for an evening meal and the response was "well there's a cafe that sells chips, might not be open though". I might not go back for a while. 

Okay, quoting myself is bad form but stating EVERYTHING was closed was a bit far-fetched looking back.  There were places open, just not what you wanted to have open (for us) as off-season. Not sure where my mate ended up to have that too.  Ah well - hopefully the island will have a good summer.   

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Incoming vent:

That's the sort of thing that has me convinced I don't want to be a landlord.  The wife and I had thought about investing in rental property but I just don't want the hassle.  I rented out my condo for a year about 20 years ago and got lucky and had no issues but wouldn't want to count on that.

Where's you second home, you aristocrat?

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Was listening to Sky News' coverage earlier on - my God they are desperate for this to be flagged as a terrorist incident.  Within 2 minutes, they had stated:

"I'm not saying it's terrorism, but... <it's terrorism for me>"
"Police will be looking into his ideology"
"It MAY not be terror, but... <it's terrorism for me>"
"We cannot rule out terrorism here, even though..."

Twitter is just an amplified version of this.  It's no wonder that discussion includes this.

Yeah I mentioned this on the last page 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s mental you can fly to Spain or Italy for about £20 but the train to London is 10x that amount.

Kidderminster to London tomorrow Off Peak Return £42.40

There are reasonable fares if you don't have to travel peak.

Â