General Chat

Stevo985

I've been thinking about the fact I'm turning 30 next April and I've realised I've not done half the stuff I've wanted to do by now. Been saying to myself 'surely there is more to life than this' a lot as well.

I'm on a set path now to the inevitable marriage-house-kids life routine and while that's not necessarily a bad thing I've got a niggling feeling in the back of my head to break out and go mad for a few years before settling down.

I have too many 'what ifs' swimming around but no means (money/time) to answer them but maybe I just need to accept my lot in life and trudge on.

Anyone else get like this? Not sure what I'm trying to say or why I'm feeling so glum really.

Oh and happy birthday dAVe! Hope you have a good'un! :thumb:

I think there is an element of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. People who are single want to be in a relationship and vice versa! 

I'm the opposite to you... 35, single and probably thinking i have thrown away the best chance of a lasting relationship. Due to my insistence of not being tied down, i've thrown away opportunities with very nice ladies. They've all rightly moved on and are getting engaged, having kids, etc. I just didn't want to give up the lads holidays, the feeling that I didn't want have to answer to anyone or even consider anyone else. Could be construed as selfish by me? Don't get me wrong, i've had some great times being a single bloke... loads of holidays, enough notches on my bedpost and some great memories. But getting older and say, being 50 and single, that doesn't sound appealing to me! 

I may meet someone, but it does get harder when you get older and women are either taken or have baggage. If you've met the woman you want to spent the rest of your life with then i would say you would be foolish to throw it away on the notion that being single is wonderful... it isn't. It has it's moments, but it has it's downsides as well. 

:)

Good post. 

Some of you may have seen in the relationship thread I split up with my first serious girlfriend about 3-4 months back and it was running through my head for so long. In the end I had to end it. We were together for around 2.5 years in total and the 2 years before we started living together was the best time of my life! I honestly saw myself spending my entire life with this girl and we used to talk about it quite alot. Then I end up getting my own place last October, she moves in with me and from there there was only one way down. Constant disagreements and arguing straight from the off. We spoke about it and kept trying to change things but it never stopped. I originally finished with her December last year but we got back together straight away. 3 months on I cut the chord for good.

At the time, or when I was thinking about finishing it, I used to think 'hey it's gonna be great... single life' especially at my grand old age of 21 (22 now). Can do what I want, when I want, especially with my own place! Truth is, all I've felt is utter shit these past few months. I don't know whats wrong with me. There's part of me that regrets doing what I did but really I think it's just down to loneliness. For example, today I've sat in and done **** all on my own. I feel so shit. When I was with my ex we would have gone to the cinema, out to eat or something fun! 

I suppose I'm a little different to how you guys were/want to be though. I'm not one for going out getting smashed every week, bringing back any old girl. I'll see my mates once or twice a month and it's always me that has to end up arranging stuff anyway. Gets on my tits.

But yeah, anybody else been in a similar situation? I think I've lost my confidence in talking to girls all together, that or I'm just not over my ex yet. I do still think about her everyday. It doesn't help I'm stuck in this flat on my own bored out my skull. I just don't see anyway up at the minute... 

Careful if you're thinking of ending your relationship...  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the fact I'm turning 30 next April and I've realised I've not done half the stuff I've wanted to do by now. Been saying to myself 'surely there is more to life than this' a lot as well.

I'm on a set path now to the inevitable marriage-house-kids life routine and while that's not necessarily a bad thing I've got a niggling feeling in the back of my head to break out and go mad for a few years before settling down.

I have too many 'what ifs' swimming around but no means (money/time) to answer them but maybe I just need to accept my lot in life and trudge on.

Anyone else get like this? Not sure what I'm trying to say or why I'm feeling so glum really.

Oh and happy birthday dAVe! Hope you have a good'un! :thumb:

I think there is an element of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. People who are single want to be in a relationship and vice versa!

I'm the opposite to you... 35, single and probably thinking i have thrown away the best chance of a lasting relationship. Due to my insistence of not being tied down, i've thrown away opportunities with very nice ladies. They've all rightly moved on and are getting engaged, having kids, etc. I just didn't want to give up the lads holidays, the feeling that I didn't want have to answer to anyone or even consider anyone else. Could be construed as selfish by me? Don't get me wrong, i've had some great times being a single bloke... loads of holidays, enough notches on my bedpost and some great memories. But getting older and say, being 50 and single, that doesn't sound appealing to me!

I may meet someone, but it does get harder when you get older and women are either taken or have baggage. If you've met the woman you want to spent the rest of your life with then i would say you would be foolish to throw it away on the notion that being single is wonderful... it isn't. It has it's moments, but it has it's downsides as well.

:)

Top post.

Im 28 in a relationship for the last 4 years with a great girl but have always had this grass is greener attitude although I realise im very lucky ive never felt fulfilled mainly because ive always wanted to life abroad as a single man, meeting new people with no responsibilities, but I realise that after a certain age that lifestyle is a little odd and will need to settle down with a career, house, the boring things. What I find hardest is seeing my social life dwindling from lads holidays and nights out 3-4 times a week, to the odd boring couples nights out every few months now all my mates are settled down.My regular trips abroad every couple of months are the only things that keep things fresh and give me something to look forward too. Im lucky in that my gf loves travelling as well so likes to come with me as much as possible although nothing beats the excitement of meeting a new girl on holiday, its still an amazing feeling sharing new experiences and seeing new places with the girl I love (no emo).

35 is still young though. Cant be too hard to meet some stunning eastern european or south east asian wife material on one of your trips abroad.

Edited by donnie
  • Like 1

Anyone ever seen a nutrionist before?? Im hopeless when it comes to knowing what I should and shouldnt eat. Hopeful a better diet will give me an edge when competing.

Edited by donnie

Thanks for all the great posts guys. I was just having a 'chandler' moment. My only regrets are that I wish I could have seen a few more girls before settling down but I suppose that desire to have what you're not allowed will never go away.

On a separate note, can you put stuff up for sale on VT? Like in a sig or summat? Got a few tech gadgets I want to offload to fund a new phone. PM me if you want the details.

Edited by Ingram85

I've never understood people who think relationships are bad because it means you can't go on lads holidays or nights out...

I always go out and arrange things with "the lads". I've been out on all the 20/20 nights, which always end up messy, I've got a 2.8 hours later zombie chase night in Sheffield coming up, a sea fishing trip and some villa games and other nights out.

If you don't feel like you can do that, because you're in a relationship, you're with the wrong person.

Trust is the number 1 thing in a relationship and it needs to be 2-way.

• Like 1

I've never understood people who think relationships are bad because it means you can't go on lads holidays or nights out...

I always go out and arrange things with "the lads". I've been out on all the 20/20 nights, which always end up messy, I've got a 2.8 hours later zombie chase night in Sheffield coming up, a sea fishing trip and some villa games and other nights out.

If you don't feel like you can do that, because you're in a relationship, you're with the wrong person.

This post is far too sensible. 

This post is far too sensible.

I actually meant to call everyone involved a bunch of gheys, but it came out wrong. :D

• Like 1

A long term relationship by no means life is over (babies on the other hand scare me).

We are quite lucky in the sense that we met at uni so we have a lot of mutual friends but I still do most the stuff I want, lads nights, fun with friends, going down the Villa (ugh), annual Bundesliga trips and in turn I let my missus do what she wants within reason.  Obviously first and foremost we make sure we make plans for ourselves together.  It's about finding the balance.

A relationship doesn't need to be a prison sentence.  The only thing I can't do is bonk loads of women, so depends how important that is to you. 

Approaching 7 years though it is becoming time that marriage and babies are expected.  The first one I can do, the latter scares the hell out of me, but could be feasible in the not too distant future.

This is an excellent post,especially the part that i've bolded.

I was just on eBay, looking for a sideboard, and saw that someone was selling 2 leather settees, a sideboard, a cupboard, mirror and some other table, all for 99p (current bid) because they had a 60 minute makeover and no longer need any of it. It's pickup only, in Dartford, and probably ends in about ten seconds. I wish it was closer, as I'd be snapping it up straight away!

Trust is the number 1 thing in a relationship and it needs to be 3-way.

This is an excellent post,especially the part that i've bolded.

Great post, i agree with it. However, if the aim of the lads holiday is to stick your dick in as many women as possible then a relationship is a bad idea!  :)

On a separate note, can you put stuff up for sale on VT? Like in a sig or summat? Got a few tech gadgets I want to offload to fund a new phone. PM me if you want the details.

If only the mods would draw up a list of rules and link to them in the bottom right of every single page.

Â