The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Sophomore year of Portals Festival at Tufnell Park two weekends ago. Absolute bargain of bangers for the money, though woe betide anyone attempting to get entry to the Aces & Eights pub where a third "stage" had been added; it was so crammed that if you wanted to actually see one of the acts there you had to make do with missing half of the preceding and following acts on the main stage (amazing pizza though).

mclusky* probably shaved best act of the weekend, Falco continues to be the MVP of stage patter and the crowd were well up for everything. Agent Fresco only real disappointment of the weekend for me (mix sounded horrible where we were stood and just really didn't get 'into it'. Shame as I like 'em on record a lot). Was super-excited for The Samuel Jackson Five and they did not disappoint, playing their first ever UK show (I'd assumed they be one of a myriad bands that I just wouldn't ever get the chance to see live).

Pleasant surprises were Hypophora and AA Williams.  Great times, roll on next year.  Highly recommended if you're near that part of the world and enjoy slightly weird, loud, guitar nonsense.

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

An audience with Nick Cave tonight in brum before early train back to Liverpool tomorrow morning.

tempted to catch Black Midi on Friday night too. 

Due to the cost, and money spent on my GBV London trip, and buying a bloody house, I wasn't going to bother. Spare ticket came up for the show at The Sage, Sunday. I've had it obviously! 🙄

• Like 1

20 hours ago, theboyangel said:

An audience with Nick Cave tonight in brum before early train back to Liverpool tomorrow morning.

Nick Cave was typically brilliant, charismatic and very open in his response to some very personal questions from the audience.

i have to say, nick Cave has some very intense and obsessive fans :D 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2019 at 10:39, JoshVilla said:

Went to Download this weekend. Drove back on Saturday to catch Foals at the Digbeth arena, then drove back to Download again 😁

Amazing weekend. Tool were phenomenal.

Did you catch Slipknot? Wish I'd gone as that's the last band on my list I've always wanted to see live. Seen a few videos of the download set and the energy of the show looks crazy.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

tumblr_n5f9owjdDi1qfab9wo7_250.gif

THE realm of Hades itself has finally been brought to our earthly plane at this weekend’s Download festival, attendees have agreed. 

The festival, held in a patch of toxic swampland between an airport and the M1, saw thousands of miserable souls thrashing around screaming for release while Slipknot played..... 

mash

• Haha 1

Put this here rather than the things I don't get thread

Courteeners played Heaton park again, huge crowd, James supported them, not a clue how they do it, good first album but they're an absolute nothing band, none of the big festivals will touch them but they can sell 50k tickets in a couple of hours, dont think they even get radio coverage anymore, not sure if it's the Manchester thing or the LAD culture following (reason enough not to want to go...) 

There's a few bands I don't get (see 1975 headlining reading) but this annual gig takes the biscuit 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

There's a few bands I don't get (see 1975 headlining reading) but this annual gig takes the biscuit 

Gerry Cinnamon is doing an Arena tour, who the actual f is Gerry Cinnamon? (please don't actually answer the question)

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Gerry Cinnamon is doing an Arena tour, who the actual f is Gerry Cinnamon? (please don't actually answer the question)

Sorry but i will...He's another one part of this LAD culture thing, saw some footage of his Brum gig, flares, smoke bombs and football style chants inside the O2 "going off" yoof turning up for the party rather than the actual performance (he's ok) 

He has 1 album from about 2 years ago which had no commercial success 

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Dr_Alimantado said:

They were great in Brum on Sunday night, but Lætitia said her voice was struggling a bit so I guess that’s why they’ve cancelled.

Probs, itsjust said a medical issue

On 18/06/2019 at 11:59, Ingram85 said:

Did you catch Slipknot? Wish I'd gone as that's the last band on my list I've always wanted to see live. Seen a few videos of the download set and the energy of the show looks crazy.

Unfortunately Saturday was the day when I temporarily came out as I had tickets to see Foals on the Saturday night, then went back again on Sunday, so I missed Slipknot. All the people I’ve spoken to said they were phenomenal. They’re touring next year though I think so there’s your chance :thumb:

Couldn't be arsed with Download, festivals that big are always far too much of a pain in the arse, but I'll be grabbing a ticket to Slipknot if they're touring next year, they always put on a hell of a show.

I am tempted to go to Bloodstock this year though, Parkway Drive are playing and they're one of the few bands I'd sit through the traffic and trek through the mud to watch. The only gigs I've got tickets to before the end of the year are Gojira at the o2 Academy next week, and Bury Tomorrow in December.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Couldn't be arsed with Download, festivals that big are always far too much of a pain in the arse, but I'll be grabbing a ticket to Slipknot if they're touring next year, they always put on a hell of a show.

I am tempted to go to Bloodstock this year though, Parkway Drive are playing and they're one of the few bands I'd sit through the traffic and trek through the mud to watch. The only gigs I've got tickets to before the end of the year are Gojira at the o2 Academy next week, and Bury Tomorrow in December.

Bloodstock is a great festival, awesome atmosphere, very friendly. Beer queues are unheard of, unlike Download

Â