The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I hadn't realized that Fagen was still touring as Steely Dan after Becker's death.  Doesn't seem right.

Well I'm not a huge Dan fan (they're OK, the very early albums anyway), but I don't see that. OK, Becker was the co-songwriter, but what did he do on stage? (I never saw them) Bass and backing vocals? Fagen's the lead singer, piano player, front man. As far as performances go, he IS Steely Dan - the rest of the band are interchangeable. 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well I'm not a huge Dan fan (they're OK, the very early albums anyway), but I don't see that. OK, Becker was the co-songwriter, but what did he do on stage? (I never saw them) Bass and backing vocals? Fagen's the lead singer, piano player, front man. As far as performances go, he IS Steely Dan - the rest of the band are interchangeable. 

I think it's fair to say it's a bit fluid!

In turn, every one of them has left the band, with the band continuing on without them.

I've just done a quick google and in 2016 it was back to the original line up. Three years on, they've got a new album coming which is described as Dennis Greaves with songwriting partners new and old. Read in to that, it's a bit fluid.

But Dennis is the driving force and he's on the poster!

****  @mjmooneywell I don't know what weirdness happened there, but this was supposed to be an answer to the Nine Below Zero post in the Albums thread. As it happens, probably makes more sense here.

Edited by chrisp65

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Winwood should have been headliner! 

You have been warned about this 😁. Any way, didn't even have a bass player, seemed to be playing bass pedals on Hammond which (personally) I don't think helped the sound. He was OK ish, but when your supporting Steely Dan  - you are really up against it !

PS  - good drummer - Richard Bailey (Sonor endorser) who played on the classic Blow by Blow LP( Jeff Beck)

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When I saw them 20+ years ago Becker shared lead guitar duties and contributed to the banter.  But the bigger point is that they ceased to be a band after 1974 or so.  It was just Becker and Fagen and whoever they recruited to record the current album, with the two of them equally responsible for writing, arranging, rehearsing, mixing, etc. to create the sound.  When a band is just 2 people and one is gone, it's not really a band anymore.  I'm sure a lot of it is about money.  Donald Fagen wouldn't draw as well, and Donald Fagen and Friends Play the Music Of Steely Dan won't fit on the ticket.

I take the point over Walter Becker but, it could be a bit like Hall and Oates (or , lowering the tone) Wham, where one person appears to contribute much more than the other. They didn't replace Becker with another guitarist - I was hoping they might have got Wayne Krantz or (very unlikely) Larry Carlton. Jon Herrington  is so damn good they probably don't need anyone else ! I went tot see 'em at The 02 a couple of years ago and Donald referred to Becker's passing  - but nothing this year. He did mention David Palmer who did vocals on 2 early albums. Another comment on Steve Winwood; as well as having no bass player, he had no backing singers; his voice was not as strong as it used to be (obviously ) and he could have used them , much as Fagen does with 'The Danettes (his 3 skeevy looking female vocalists).

15 minutes ago, veloman said:

He did mention David Palmer who did vocals on 2 early albums. 

David Palmer's vocals, and Elliott Randall's guitar (both on the debut album) were the two main things I liked about Steely Dan. After that, I found the band to be impressive rather than enjoyable. All slick, oh-so-studied cool and very little warmth. 

I am not best pleased with my elder daughter. We share a lot of musical tastes, and often go to gigs together. This is usually triggered by me saying "Oh, (x) are on at the Brudenell, do you fancy going?" And she says "Ooh, yes!" I always end up paying for the tickets, but we'll let that one slide. This week she tells me she's got a ticket for Cory Wong (Vulfpeck) - again, at the Brudenell. I say I'm up for that, and she then then smugly tells me I'm too late, and it's sold out. Thanks, kid.  

On 26/02/2019 at 10:29, mjmooney said:

I am not best pleased with my elder daughter. We share a lot of musical tastes, and often go to gigs together. This is usually triggered by me saying "Oh, (x) are on at the Brudenell, do you fancy going?" And she says "Ooh, yes!" I always end up paying for the tickets, but we'll let that one slide. This week she tells me she's got a ticket for Cory Wong (Vulfpeck) - again, at the Brudenell. I say I'm up for that, and she then then smugly tells me I'm too late, and it's sold out. Thanks, kid.  

I think she may be reading VT...  IMG_20190227_194359.jpg.752dc231b9a7eb7323a09bd9de9f30f7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got the use of a free ticket for Roy Harper on 21st, from fellow Villa fan and ex-mailing lister Guy Haslam (dunno if you're a VT lurker, Guy, but thanks!) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just got the use of a free ticket for Roy Harper on 21st, from fellow Villa fan and ex-mailing lister Guy Haslam (dunno if you're a VT lurker, Guy, but thanks!) 

Hats off to Guy Haslam!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Really enjoyed Roy Harper when I saw him (about 15 years ago I think). Very chilled, a few different guitars which all looked/sounded tasty and me sitting in a theatre in Brecon with a pint in hand. Definitely one of my favourite gigs where the venue made me sit in a chair.

• Like 1

Bob Mould was pretty good. Although I'm not that familiar with his repertoire (I only have 'Workbook' and Hüsker Dü's 'Warehouse'), and every song they played sounded pretty much the same. Still, good energetic stuff for a bloke pushing sixty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â