The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

More films ive watched over the last few months:

The hunt - 8.5 film of the year!!! Terrific, must watch movie. Tense from start to finish. Wish Hollywood made movies like this.

Place beyond the pines - 8 out of 10 - brilliant movie. loved the first and last chapters. Great acting, great story.

Stoker - 8 out of 10 - great film, great director. Really enjoyed it. Not sure what genre it is, horror or thriller?! Dont matter it was excellent.

Blue valentine - 6 out of 10 -depressing movie but acting was great.

Welcome to the punch - 2 out of 10- facking shite.

Trance - 4 out of 10 - shite. made no sense.your better then this danny Boyle

The Tourist is currently on Film4. What a pile of absolute misjudged shite. It reminds me of Hudson Hawk. I looked up who was to blame for this and he directed The Lives of Others. :blink:  

So here's a surprise. I had yesterday off work so relaxed to watch a couple of movies. I had Star Trek into Darkness in 1080p and decided to watch it with no real expectations.

I'd not liked the first reboot, thought it was irritating and daft. But a few weeks ago I'd seen it again and disliked it less than I had in the original viewing.

Anyway a mate had seen into Darkness and said it was utter rubbish. Another mate who liked the first had said it was ok. Now I'd heard it was to do with Khan. So was rather worried I'd really hate this one as Wrath of Khan is the best Trek movie by a distance and just an all round classic imo. So a remaking of it worried me.

Anyway to my surprise I really enjoyed Into Darkness. Firstly it looks superb in 1080p. Secondly it's not a remake of Wrath of Khan, this new take on Star Trek works far better with this sequel than it did with the initial reboot.

Some spoilers now from here on.

The little nods to the original I actually liked. The reworking of parts and reversing of the spock kirk role in saving the enterprise. The alternate reality spock warning them about Khan. I dunno it just worked. Basically it's a very enjoyable movie and I'm genuinely surprised by it.

The only problem remains Simon Pegg. He needs to die. If it happens in real life then they can just replace him in the movie with anyone. I don't care who. Simon Pegg in any American movie is the most irritating person alive. He needs to be stopped.

Anyway. JJ Abrams has done what only Christopher Nolan has managed. To successfully reboot a franchise. The first episodes of their respective reboots were only a shadow of the 2nd episode in the series.

I think Star Trek 3 will get my money for its cinema release. Very pleasantly surprised. Well done JJ Abrams.

We're the Millers ....5/10 .....that young lad had a tv show on channel 4 didnt he

Yeah, School of Comedy I think on E4, a sketch show with teenagers, wasn't too bad I thought, but then again I was a teenager when it was on (I am still! Just)

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, he was one of the only good things about that show.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

We're the Millers ....5/10 .....that young lad had a tv show on channel 4 didnt he

Yeah, School of Comedy I think on E4, a sketch show with teenagers, wasn't too bad I thought, but then again I was a teenager when it was on (I am still! Just)

He was also in the excellent Son of Rambow

Elysium is horrible. OK concept. Terrible delivery. Script could be a tv movie. Take away the eli and morlock angle and the story has been done to death. Really predictable and overly melodramatic. That final scene. I thought it would never end. Puke

**** sake....now the thread has been over run by Movies based on TV series. 

I demand a new thread where I can avoid this drivel. 

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Everybody above the age of 12 who reads this thread saw it :rolleyes:  

Elysium - 7 out of 10. Was surprised how decent it was. No where near as good as District 9 but worth a watch. The South African guy from District 9 was absolutely brilliant in this.

End of watch - 7.5 out of 10 excellent. From the makers of training day. Really recommend this movie.

Dog day afternoon - 8.5 out of 10. Pacino gives one of the Atg performances in this. The movie is nothing special but Pacino's performance makes it special.

Pain and gain - 4 out of 10. It has its moments but it can't decide whether it's a comedy or a serious movie. The Rock was good in this. But overall it was a pile of dog shite

Â