The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Road to Perdition is also based on a comic (itself inspired by a manga). And is brilliant.

For me road to perdition is the best film of the 00's

I give the nod to Michael Clayton for best film of the 00's.

Watched Arbitrage last night - Richard Gere plays a powerful businessman, in the middle of a major business deal (based on fraudulent accounting), who ends up in a car crash leaving his mistress dead - instead of calling the emergency services, he flees the scene in order to make sure his company is sold.

Pretty good all the way through, Tim Roth pops up as the Detective investigating the crash and subsequently Gere, who is back on form in this.

Well worth a worth if you like films that don't have to have explosions and violence every five minutes!

Watched Gangs of New Yoyk again last night.

Daniel Day-Lewis really is bloody scary in it isn't he.

Have only watched it the once and whilst DDL was very good in it, I still found the film to be a bit of let down, hence never re-visiting it.

Watched Arbitrage last night - Richard Gere plays a powerful businessman, in the middle of a major business deal (based on fraudulent accounting), who ends up in a car crash leaving his mistress dead - instead of calling the emergency services, he flees the scene in order to make sure his company is sold.

Pretty good all the way through, Tim Roth pops up as the Detective investigating the crash and subsequently Gere, who is back on form in this.

Well worth a worth if you like films that don't have to have explosions and violence every five minutes!

No matter how good you make this film sound, it's still got Richard gere in it lol don't think I could watch it based on that. Same with Robert Downey junior. Can't watch his movies, his 'acting' annoys me

Road to Perdition is also based on a comic (itself inspired by a manga). And is brilliant.

For me road to perdition is the best film of the 00's

I give the nod to Michael Clayton for best film of the 00's.

Honestly never heard of it. I'll give it a watch

There's as much pretentious drivel in here as anything else.

Absolutely. People who like comic movies "not being proper movie fans" what a laughable comment. 

I'm with you on Dredd, I'd like a sequel where you get to see more of MC1, but I'd be very shocked if it ever happens. How much did Dredd lose exactly?

There are snobs in everything. I rather suspect the initial post that caused this conversation was actually made with more than a little mischievous intent, in truth... but anywho..

As said it lost about £10m on it's budget, but the rule of thumb is that you need to take double to really make money so it was still fairly down on being genuinely profitable. However, it has done spectacularly well on home media - the bluray is one of the best sellers of the year, and there is  some weight behind it now as a little bit of a cult favourite now. It might, might inspire the studio to try again. I sincerely hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

If it did happen, like everyone else I guess I'd hope they expanded the scope to show more of Dredd's world in MC1, but I'd also really like to keep the feel of the first movie, that feeling that this was just a day on the job for Dredd and not some massive task for him. I really liked that feeling that Dredd was pretty much unfazed by anything happening in Peach Trees, and I'd like to see it expanded on to him actually having to get out and about in the city. A bit like a full on expansion of that opening scene with the chase and... 'arrest'. Garland has said he wants to investigate some of the nature of the Judge system and also look at Dredd more intently, looking into his nature as a fascist, so if a sequel did happen perhaps I might get my wish. Saying that he has also been on record saying he wants to do the Dark Judges in a film as well... which perhaps wouldn't fit quite so well with that vision.

Anyway, fingers crossed. And if you've not bought the bluray, anyone, buy it. Dredd is a brilliant little action film and the bluray costs bugger all.

Absolutely. People who like comic movies "not being proper movie fans" what a laughable comment.

I'm with you on Dredd, I'd like a sequel where you get to see more of MC1, but I'd be very shocked if it ever happens. How much did Dredd lose exactly?

There are snobs in everything. I rather suspect the initial post that caused this conversation was actually made with more than a little mischievous intent, in truth... but anywho..

As said it lost about £10m on it's budget, but the rule of thumb is that you need to take double to really make money so it was still fairly down on being genuinely profitable. However, it has done spectacularly well on home media - the bluray is one of the best sellers of the year, and there is some weight behind it now as a little bit of a cult favourite now. It might, might inspire the studio to try again. I sincerely hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

If it did happen, like everyone else I guess I'd hope they expanded the scope to show more of Dredd's world in MC1, but I'd also really like to keep the feel of the first movie, that feeling that this was just a day on the job for Dredd and not some massive task for him. I really liked that feeling that Dredd was pretty much unfazed by anything happening in Peach Trees, and I'd like to see it expanded on to him actually having to get out and about in the city. A bit like a full on expansion of that opening scene with the chase and... 'arrest'. Garland has said he wants to investigate some of the nature of the Judge system and also look at Dredd more intently, looking into his nature as a fascist, so if a sequel did happen perhaps I might get my wish. Saying that he has also been on record saying he wants to do the Dark Judges in a film as well... which perhaps wouldn't fit quite so well with that vision.

Anyway, fingers crossed. And if you've not bought the bluray, anyone, buy it. Dredd is a brilliant little action film and the bluray costs bugger all.

So was dredd meant to be a complete ripoff of the raid???

Watched Jack Reacher yesterday. It was OK. 7/10. Cruise didn't overact which was nice. He's not a particularly convincing 'hard man' though. Still it was an entertaining enough flick. The best bit was probably how the car chase scene was filmed. Not to get artsy fartsy but it was a throwback to the classic old car chases. Good cast too. If you've 2 hours to waste and you like this kind of film (or are a Cruise fan) I suppose you could do worse.

Watched Jack Reacher yesterday. It was OK. 7/10. Cruise didn't overact which was nice. He's not a particularly convincing 'hard man' though. Still it was an entertaining enough flick. The best bit was probably how the car chase scene was filmed. Not to get artsy fartsy but it was a throwback to the classic old car chases. Good cast too. If you've 2 hours to waste and you like this kind of film (or are a Cruise fan) I suppose you could do worse.

I didn't think Jack Reacher could drive...

I didn't think Jack Reacher could drive...

He can drive but doesn't have a licence.

He can drive but doesn't have a licence.

Not only that. He's an American who can drive a manual! At one point they show him pressing clutch and brake to come to a stop (I can't remember an action film showing footwork). I wondered how many Americans saw that and thought "what on earth does that do?" :P
  • Like 1

As said it lost about £10m on it's budget, but the rule of thumb is that you need to take double to really make money so it was still fairly down on being genuinely profitable. However, it has done spectacularly well on home media - the bluray is one of the best sellers of the year, and there is some weight behind it now as a little bit of a cult favourite now. It might, might inspire the studio to try again. I sincerely hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

So was dredd meant to be a complete ripoff of the raid???

Given that Dredd began filming in 2010 and The Raid didn't until 2011, I'm going to hazard a guess at 'No'.

Despite some lacklustre reviews I watched Elysium last night, it's no classic but I really enjoyed it. Has to rival Commando for the best South African villain, Sharlto Copley stole the whole movie for me. 

I picked up the 3D version for about £7 and well worth it. One of the few movies I've seen where 3D actually adds something, rather than just being a tac-on gimmick.

Despite some lacklustre reviews I watched Elysium last night, it's no classic but I really enjoyed it. Has to rival Commando for the best South African villain, Sharlto Copley stole the whole movie for me. 

I loved District 9, and I adore the look of Blomkamp's films (he makes a very believable, lived in dirty future sci fi world very well, saw hints of it in District 9 but everything from Elysium ticks the boxes on that front), but I have been put off a little by just how clunking the allegory in this is. D9 was hardly subtle but this looks like a sledgehammer in comparision. Plus I still don't really like Matt Damon in anything that isn't Bourne series or Dogma... I'm torn.

I picked up the 3D version for about £7 and well worth it. One of the few movies I've seen where 3D actually adds something, rather than just being a tac-on gimmick.

I bought the bluray at release, watched it far too many times since to be honest. You can only buy the 3d combi disc, and I will say the 3d on that added something - better picture quality. The 2d transfer on that disc is rough, the 3d version by comparison is superb. I don't think the 3d adds much otherwise, as per usual, but it is some of the best 3d I've seen in a film. Same was true of the cinema release in fairness.

Couple of recent viewings for me:

(500) Days of Summer - 8/10 - Romantic comedies aren't generally my forte but I really enjoyed this film. Very charming. I think the cinematography, the characters, the excellent soundtrack and the film's non-linear structure work really well to give the story a genuineness that really resonated with me.

In Bruges - 8/10 - Great film. Never seen it before so had no idea what to expect, but picked it up after some recommendations on here. I'd guess you'd call it a dark comedy? Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes were all great. Really witty dialogue, some brilliant cinematography, a melancholic score, and just the right amount of humour, drama and violence.

Elysium strikes me as a film I should like but bad writing is bad writing and I've heard it is incredibly on the nose.

Must admit, I have idea what you mean. But I did go to see Elysium and I rather enjoyed, only real drawback being one fight too many at the end. We all knew that baddie wasn't going to stop the hero from saving the work, so knocking 7 bells out of each other for 10 minutes was utterly pointless.

Aside from that, good movie, and Jodie Foster was pretty hot - haven't seen her in a baddie role before.

Â