The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched ted, it's was alright, only about 50% of the jokes work, lots of one liners that weren't funny

Worth a watch?

Definitely. But I reckon if you go and see it now while the cinema will be pretty full, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

I really liked it, but on reflection I reckon if I watched it on my own I wouldn't find it as funny.

The atmosphere of being in a packed cinema added a lot.

watched Hereafter last night, Matt Damon was in it, Spielberg and Eastwood involved in putting it together

2 hours I'll never get back

With you there mate. When it ended I literally roared in displeasure at the screen - i was hoping that there was some kind of massive twist/end scene which was going to make up for that complete dross.

Up there with 'No Country For Old Men' for most whimperishly shit endings!

Of the 350 or so films in my DVD collection, the average (mean) year of release is 1963. The median is 1959. Mode is 1950. (For the statisticians amongst you).

FWIW the 12 films from the "winning" year of 1950 are:

Stage Fright (Alfred Hitchcock)

Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann)

Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder)

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (Gordon Douglas)

The Gunfighter (Henry King)

Harvey (Henry Koster)

Rio Grande (John Ford)

The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)

Night and the City (Jules Dassin)

Young Man With a Horn (Michael Curtiz)

In A Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray)

Where the Sidewalk Ends (Otto Preminger)

A pretty good pointer to my love of film noir and westerns.

Better than most shit films that get released these days

Golden Age Syndrome much?

Not really, most films released at the cinema are typically shit, same goes for most time periods I guess but in a time when Katy Perry has her own movie I feel quite comfortable in saying films these days are mostly shit.

I'd say there are more "good" (although ti's all subjective) films being released these days than ever before.

There's also a hell of a lot more "shit" films that are released as well, which dilutes it somewhat. But that doesn't mean there aren't a hell of a lot of good movies released these days.

I guess

Also, what an odd part of my post to pick up on legov. A passing statement means I completely dismiss most of todays films? Hmmmm.

Completely? Never implied that.

Made the mistake of watching The Dictator a couple of nights back. I rarely give up on films early but half way through I switched it off. Never have I seen something so completely unfunny.

On the rebound I put on the first episode of Breaking Bad, **** brilliant.

Recently seen

The Lives of Others - superb film, loved it, about spying on the citizens in east german, very absorbing.

Old School - saw it for the first time in about 9 years, not as funny as I found it first time around.

Bright Young Things - not bad, entertaining enough, though spent most of the film going "oh its that guy! and its whatsiname from that!

watching Good Night and Good luck this evening which is a good'un.

Â