The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Movie lists...ugh...
Come on Si, don't tell us you couldn't make one...

I've done them for friends and family before (who have asked me to, I hasten to add) but I just find these 'Definitive Lists' and '5 Million Movies You MUST see before you die!' for the most part utterly pointless. One man's Vertigo is another mans Ishtar.

Movie lists...ugh...
Come on Si, don't tell us you couldn't make one...

I've done them for friends and family before (who have asked me to, I hasten to add) but I just find these 'Definitive Lists' and '5 Million Movies You MUST see before you die!' for the most part utterly pointless. One man's Vertigo is another mans Ishtar.

Well, yes. But they're a talking point I suppose.

Watching the thin red line on sky Atlantic

I love this film, just read on wiki the original cut was 5 hours long and had scenes with bill Pullman, mickey roulette and Billy bob thornton! Is there an extended cut available? Or even some half decent special edition blu ray?

The greatest film of all time is Ghostbusters, clearly.

I was in a film discussion with a group of aul' lads (65+). All fairly serious when one of them, straight as a die, came out with that same opinion and managed to keep a straight face for a good while. It was comedy gold given the situation. We lold out loud.

I probably will concede that it may not be the best of all time but it certainly is in my top 5 favourite films of all time . It's one of, if not the best action comedy films ever made and Bill Murray is flawless in it.

Anyone got suggestions for DVDs to rent for me and my two sons? They are 14 and 10 (I am 45!). Recently we've seen Son of Rambow, Super 8, Groundhog Day, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Life of Brian and we've got Monsters to watch tonight.

Looking for something that 10yo and 14yo will enjoy. Up to 12ish rating.

real steel, watched it last weekend on sky, its a proper father and son film

Anyone got suggestions for DVDs to rent for me and my two sons? They are 14 and 10 (I am 45!). Recently we've seen Son of Rambow, Super 8, Groundhog Day, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Life of Brian and we've got Monsters to watch tonight.

Looking for something that 10yo and 14yo will enjoy. Up to 12ish rating.

real steel, watched it last weekend on sky, its a proper father and son film

Thanks for that V4E, will check it out.

The boys loved Monsters last night, we even watched the making of...doc. In fact the story of how they made it was really inspiring. The big bonus for me was Whitney Able!!!

I've been way out of touch with films for ages (apart from kids Pixar stuff and the LOTR and Harry Potter series). Trying to catch up, but it's quite difficult as there is so much guff out there in Internet land...so any recommendations gratefully received (even lists!).

Real Steel was much better than I thought it would be. I was dragged reluctantly to the cinema to see it and I suppose my low expectations meant I was very much pleasantly surprised. I imagine 10 & 14 y/o boys would go absolutely mental for it tbh.

Real Steel was much better than I thought it would be. I was dragged reluctantly to the cinema to see it and I suppose my low expectations meant I was very much pleasantly surprised. I imagine 10 & 14 y/o boys would go absolutely mental for it tbh.

Mental wasn't quite what I was aiming for, but I'll take it as a positive!

Are any of you on Letterboxd? It's a type of social networking site for films and is pretty good. If any of you are on it then feel free to add me. My name on there is reel_villan. It's currently in beta testing.

If any of you want an invite then just let me know via PM (with your e-mail address). I've got two invites left so first come first served.

You can read a little article about the website here.

I'm going to give Space Odyssey another go for the third time tonight, I couldn't keep concentration the last two times I watched it.

Can anyone tell me what the hell the plot is so I can go into it at least having a clue what the feck is going on.

Can anyone tell me what the hell the plot is so I can go into it at least having a clue what the feck is going on.

It's meant to be watched on LSD.

When you and the principle protagonist are both gibbered at the climax you'll get it.

:winkold:

I'm going to give Space Odyssey another go for the third time tonight, I couldn't keep concentration the last two times I watched it.

It doesn't have an overarching plot in the truest sense. Its a collection of small narratives that revolve around humanity's encounters with strange objects called monoliths. The film opens with the ancestors of humankind scratching a living in Africa, fighting between tribes and being preyed on by leopards. Then they encounter the monolith, and the film heavily suggests that the encounter kick starts their evolution, showing the tribe learning to eat meat, use tools... And kill.

It then cuts to the near future and another narrative, this time an executive heading to a moon base following a top secret discovery, a monolith on the moon.

Following that brief narrative, a connected and most standalone narrative starts that follows a mission to chase a signal from a monolith to the depths of the solar system, with a ship headed by an AI, 2 crew members awakened and many still in cyrosleep, and what happens when a problem occurs onboard.

That then leads to the most bizarre and slightly open to interpretation part of the film, known as the stargate and then a final brief scene of what happens to one crew member of the space mission. The stargate is still a fairly visually profound sequence.

So there's not really a plot, just a sort of prologue and 2/3 slightly connected narratives largely revolving around the influence and even just existence of the monoliths.

Its a great film but can be dull and demands attention.

Â