The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

It's certainly not a movie that everyone will enjoy, but I think the ending works perfectly. It helps if you've read Heart of Darkness (or, at least get the gist of it), but it isn't essential.

And aye, the Redux has some interesting scenes, mostly to do with the history of Vietnam (french colonisation and all that) and a few more tits on show, but ultimately it's bloated and the pace suffers as a result.

It's rare that an extended version of a film improves the theatrical cut, as more often than not the good editors get the big calls right.

Blade Runner an obvious exception, but that was less an extension and more of a reworking.

I actually quite like Apocalypse Now Redux.

A bit more of a possible nugget of info has dropped for Avengers - Skrulls are not in it, according to Marvel Studioes Kevin Feige. He's hinted that the baddies are an established feature of Marvel comics, but rather than Skrulls he's indicated that they are something from one of the 'realms' that the Thor mythology brings to the party, which are all mentioned in the Thor film.

This immediately lowers my expectations further, because the 'realms' idea was idiotic in the first place and the established races from them, asides from the one they've already dealt with, are shite.

There's been some talk that the Skrulls were an option (they were in the now canned videogame adaptation) but then it appeared that Fox had the rights to the characters and thus, Marvel were ****.

Oscar Noms released:

BEST PICTURE

The Artist

The Descendants

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

The Help

Hugo

Midnight in Paris

Moneyball

The Tree of Life

War Horse

BEST DIRECTOR

The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants - Alexander Payne

Hugo - Martin Scorsese

Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen

The Tree of Life - Terrence Malick

BEST ACTOR

Demián Bichir - A Better Life

George Clooney - The Descendants

Jean Dujardin - The Artist

Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Brad Pitt -Moneyball

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Kenneth Branagh - My Week with Marilyn

Jonah Hill - Moneyball

Nick Nolte - Warrior

Christopher Plummer - Beginners

Max von Sydow - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

BEST ACTRESS

Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs

Viola Davis - The Help

Rooney Mara - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady

Michelle Williams - My Week with Marilyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Bérénice Bejo - The Artist

Jessica Chastain - The Help

Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids

Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs

Octavia Spencer - The Help

BEST ANIMATED FILM

A Cat in Paris

Chico & Rita

Kung Fu Panda 2

Puss in Boots

Rango

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Descendants - Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon &

Jim Rash

Hugo - John Logan

The Ides of March - George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon

Moneyball - Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin

Story by Stan Chervin

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Bridget O’Connor & Peter Straughan

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius

Bridesmaids - Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

Margin Call - J.C. Chandor

Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen

A Separation - Asghar Farhadi

ART DIRECTION

The Artist - Production Design: Laurence Bennett, Set Decoration: Robert Gould

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Part 2 – Production Design: Stuart Craig, Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan

Hugo - Production Design: Dante Ferretti, Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

Midnight in Paris - Production Design: Anne Seibel, Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil

War Horse - Production Design: Rick Carter, Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

CINEMATOGRAPHY

The Artist - Guillaume Schiffman

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Jeff Cronenweth

Hugo - Robert Richardson

The Tree of Life - Emmanuel Lubezki

War Horse - Janusz Kaminski

COSTUME DESIGN

Anonymous - Lisy Christl

The Artist - Mark Bridges

Hugo - Sandy Powell

Jane Eyre - Michael O’Connor

W.E. - Arianne Phillips

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Hell and Back Again

If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth

Liberation Front

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

Pina

Undefeated

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement

God Is the Bigger Elvis

Incident in New Baghdad

Saving Face

The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom

BEST FILM EDITING

The Artist - Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants - Kevin Tent

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Hugo - Thelma Schoonmaker

Moneyball - Christopher Tellefsen

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Bullhead - Belgium

Footnote - Israel

In Darkness - Poland

Monsieur Lazhar - Canada

A Separation - Iran

BEST MAKEUP

Albert Nobbs - Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and

Matthew W. Mungle

Part 2 - Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin

The Iron Lady - Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

The Artist - Ludovic Bource

Hugo - Howard Shore

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Alberto Iglesias

War Horse - John Williams

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

Man or Muppet - The Muppets, Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

Real in Rio – Rio, Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown

Lyric by Siedah Garrett

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

Dimanche/Sunday - Patrick Doyon

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore - William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

La Luna - Enrico Casarosa

A Morning Stroll - Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe

Wild Life - Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

BEST LIVE FILM

Pentecost - Peter McDonald and Eimear O’Kane

Raju - Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

The Shore - Terry George and Oorlagh George

Time Freak - Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

Tuba Atlantic - Hallvar Witzø

BEST SOUND EDITING

Drive - Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Ren Klyce

Hugo - Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

War Horse - Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

BEST SOUND MIXING

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

Hugo - Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

Moneyball - Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and

Ed Novick

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

War Horse - Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and

Stuart Wilson

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Part 2 - Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and

John Richardson

Hugo - Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and

Alex Henning

Real Steel - Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

BEST PICTURE

The Artist

The Descendants

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

The Help

Hugo

Midnight in Paris

Moneyball

The Tree of Life

War Horse

Haven't seen any of them yet

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Nick Nolte - Warrior

Hope he wins, he was brilliant.

Looking forward to seeing Haywire tomorrow night. As a Soderbergh fan, I'm interested to see how he handles a 'pure' action thriller. It also has the added bonus of another David Holmes soundtrack, which is always a good thing.

9 films up for best picture? i thought theyd changed it to 10

i agree with tim bevan's rant last week that the oscars have become too overhyped and focus too heavily on promotion, TTSS has 11 bafta nominations and yet was expected to do absolutely nothing here, there are better films that havent had the nod, extremely loud and incredibly close has had really poor reviews

no tin tin for best animated film is the biggest shocker IMO

How does this work in terms of when films come out?

My beef is thus: When did Super 8 come out? How that has not been nominated for best cgi or sfx or whatever is ridiculous. The train crash scene alone is simply the most impressive cgi I have ever seen.

I've finally seen Schindler's list, only about 20 years too late. What a film that is. Ralph Fiennes was exceptional, I think. A film that brings up a lot of feelings.

Indeed. Although it was a bit cliche, still a great film though.

I'll need to watch American Beauty again I think, just finished watching it a few minutes ago and didn't really get it.

given I'm currently doing a course on holocaust testimony I really ought to watch Schindlers List at some point.

Recently watched

A Self Made Hero ( Un Hero Indiscret ) a French film from 1996 about a chap who invents an identity for himself in postwar France or as a line from the film puts it at: "... and so nine months and 2 weeks after the Liberation of France, Albert Delhouse joined The Resistance" amusing and and makes a few points about remembrance in general along the way. 8/10

Also watched two adaptations of Dostoyevsky short story 'White Nights' which is about dreamers, lost lives, and love to give you no clue at all about its plot ( honestly that was a terrible summary )

First one was an Italian effort Le Notte Bianche - a b/w stylised effort moving it from 1840s Russia to 1950's Rome. Its a good effort both in its adaptation and as a stand-alone story, though honestly, maybe its just the emotionally dead Brit in me the hysterical outpourings of emotion and love are somewhat wearisome, not to mention a bit sexist, but hell I suppose it was made by and starred Italians, for whom 'getting a grip' has been evidentally banned from their lexicon.

Second one is by Robert Bresson Four Nights of a Dreamer - set in France in the 70's. Which is crap. Adapting a dialogue heavy original and replacing it what what can be best be thought of as typically 60's gallic shruggery and pouting glances, giving the male lead the appearance of an utter perverted creep. Like the italian version quite heavy on the masculinity ( in France! quelle surprise! ) and there is absolutely no plausible chemistry between the leads. I kept wishing there would be an unexpected violent twist and a giant shark would leap from the canal and eat them. Mais, ca n'arrive pas! 2/10

Going to check out the new Sherlock film tonight now for a welcome change of scene.

given I'm currently doing a course on holocaust testimony I really ought to watch Schindlers List at some point.

If you've got the time watch Shoah. It's over nine hours and absolutely heartbreaking to hear what went on.

If you've got the time watch Shoah. It's over nine hours and absolutely heartbreaking to hear what went on.

I have it on my to watch list with a friend.

It's International Holocaust Memorial Day today as it happens ( anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz ).

Also recommendable is : Night and Fog on Youtube

A few days on and I still don't understand how Gosling isn't up for best actor. He was fantastic in both 'Drive' and 'The Ides of March' and is one of the best actors out there. How he hasn't been considered in the past is also beyond me. He's great in 'Blue Valentine', 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'Half Nelson'. I have yet to see a bad performance from him, yet somehow an Oscar remains out of his reach. 'Drive' itself should have been up for more than one award too in my opinion.

On the cinema front I have been to see 'Shame' and 'Like Crazy' most recently (the latter just yesterday). 'Shame' is a very emotional film and one that many people may find too much. I personally thought it was extremely good and the downward spiral is rather heartbreaking. Fantastic performance from Fassbender (another overlooked Oscar contender) and shot beautifully. 'Like Crazy' on the other hand was quite a good romantic film. Two good performances from the leads and a good story overall. I also liked the ending, which I won't spoil for those of you going to see it. Abrupt yet effective is probably the best way I can describe it. I did feel a little let down by the overall film, yet still thought it was quite good.

Off to see 'The Descendants' today or tomorrow and then 'Chronicle' later in the week. I'm really looking forward to seeing them both.

Put tree of life on last night and turned it off after 40 minutes, don't really know why I gave it that long.

A god awful film and possibly the most bored I've ever been watching a film.

Watched the interrupters on Netflix in the week and really enjoyed it, good documentary.

Also watched catching hell, a documentary about how a fan became the most hated man in Chicago when trying to catch a foul ball at a baseball game. Another really good documentary worth watching.

Also watched catching hell, a documentary about how a fan became the most hated man in Chicago when trying to catch a foul ball at a baseball game. Another really good documentary worth watching.

where did you see that? was it the espn 30 for 30 documentary? they advertised them loads a few years back when i was in the states on holiday but i havent found any way of watching them over here

Â