The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Climax* on Netflix last night.

A mind-bending experience. Needed an hour in a cold, dark room afterwards. Some stunning set-pieces though. 

*It's not what you might think from the title. It's all dancing and people going mental.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched Sonic last night and its surprisingly good.

Nothing ground breaking here but Marsden is good throughout, Carrey hams it up as best he can and Sonic himself is well animated giving the character a weight so you at least feel like he's present in the scene. The story is basic but that probably works in its favour.

7/10.

6 hours ago, choffer said:

A mind-bending experience. Needed an hour in a cold, dark room afterwards. Some stunning set-pieces though. 

*It's not what you might think from the title. It's all dancing and people going mental.

Was it colour?

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Very sad to hear of the passing of Max Von Sydow. Thought he was great as the aged priest in The Exorcist. He applied make up for the role which aged him 30yrs. He also played the three eyed raven in GOT.

Flash Gordon will always be remembered as his finest work 😁

• Haha 1

Max von Sydow is IMO the greatest ever Swedish actor with tons of great roles. He plays the lead in probably my favorite Swedish movies namely The Emigrants (1971) and The Settlers (1972)

Based on books by Wilhelm Moberg and directed by Jan Troell it follows a family of farmers during the strife in the 19th century who like so many others at the time decides to leave Sweden and try their luck in America.

The books are amazing and the movies actually do a very good job of telling the story.

It's effin' bleak, like The Road level bleak. 

Obviously it's maybe more interesting to me as a Swede but I imagine a lot of countries had similar stories from that time. 

Highly recommend it for anyone who has 6-7 hours to spare (think there is shorter versions out there as well) and want to feel miserable for most of that time. Movies are in Swedish. 

The Emigrants Poster Nybyggarna Poster

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, choffer said:

I don't think any more of his films are on there, but if you enjoyed that, you should definitely also see Enter the Void by Noe. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching Parasite. It's terrific but not one I'd like to 're watch. Prefer Shoplifters, more heart in that. This was grim and cynical. Empathetic about the complex characters but nevertheless grim..

My folks are visiting this weekend which gives me and the wife an opportunity to take a trip to the cinema. 

tempted to watch the reboot of The Invisible Man as it appears there’s not too much else out at the moment. 

14 hours ago, theboyangel said:

tempted to watch the reboot of The Invisible Man as it appears there’s not too much else out at the moment. 

Saw it last night , It's not really a reboot as such

It starts out as quite decent suspense type film  , is the invisible man really there or is she just imagining everything due to the trauma of being an abuse victim  ... then it kinda descends into run of the mill invisible man is evil type stuff  , you don't really get any back story on him or why he is such an obsessive character **  .. and even allowing for the fact you have an invisible man , the story lacks any real credibility   ,  personally If i had invisible powers i'd be hanging out in Ana De Armas' shower , not plotting revenge on a woman that had run away from me 

its possible this is deliberate  , i won't say anymore but the ending might pose a question if you like to give your films a bit of a " hmmm I wonder " , once they have finished 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It starts out as quite decent suspense type film  , is the invisible man really there or is she just imagining everything due to the trauma of being an abuse victim  ... then it kinda descends into run of the mill invisible man is evil type stuff  , you don't really get any back story on him or why he is such an obsessive character **  .. and even allowing for the fact you have an invisible man , the story lacks any real credibility   ,  personally If i had invisible powers i'd be hanging out in Ana De Armas' shower , not plotting revenge on a woman that had run away from me 

Reveal hidden contents

its possible this is deliberate  , i won't say anymore but the ending might pose a question if you like to give your films a bit of a " hmmm I wonder " , once they have finished 

Thanks for the mini review - I’ll resist to look at the hidden comment for now. 👍 

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

personally If i had invisible powers i'd be hanging out in Ana De Armas' shower , not plotting revenge on a woman that had run away from me

Obviously long before Ana De Armas was around, but someone has had this idea previously of course:

29691_eroticmisadventuresoftheinvisiblem

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Just watched Aquaman.

Sweet Jesus what a mess.

If you can get past how catastrophically silly the entire idea of Aquaman is, I don't think it's bad.

But getting past the silliness does take some effort.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

If you can get past how catastrophically silly the entire idea of Aquaman is, I don't think it's bad.

But getting past the silliness does take some effort.

2002 Spider-Man was on after it, I watched the first 40 mins or so and found it similarly silly. Current Marvel have set such a high standard.

• Like 1

I watched 1917 this morning. It's utterly fantastic, great cinematography, script, acting, it's hard to find fault with it

For me it would comfortably sit alongside the movie greats of the '70s and '80s like Apocalypse Now. Most modern films wouldn't get close

• Like 2

On 11/03/2020 at 11:16, tonyh29 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Quite enjoyed The Invisible Man and took it as a reimagining for the #metoo generation.

some good bits amongst the flaws but enjoyable nonetheless. 

Â