The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Parasite for me last night.

Superb. I didn't have any preconceptions of what the film was before I went in (apart from I assumed it was a horror based on the name), so I was going in pretty much blind.

Loved it. Funny, sad, scary, tense, creepy, bizarre.

Well worth the plaudits.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Parasite for me last night.

Superb. I didn't have any preconceptions of what the film was before I went in (apart from I assumed it was a horror based on the name), so I was going in pretty much blind.

Loved it. Funny, sad, scary, tense, creepy, bizarre.

Well worth the plaudits.

Exactly my experience last night. Deliberately avoided any spoilers and it was so much more enjoyable for it. Stunning piece of filmmaking. Storytelling of the highest order all wrapped up in the most stunning of visuals. 

• Like 1

So I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I found Parasite, well a bit silly really.

I loved Act 1 & parts of Act II, but I didn't really fall in love with it the way everyone else seems to have done.

For what it's worth one of my favorite movies also happens to be Korean and well worth a watch if you haven't come across it.

Edited by TheAuthority
Spelling

12 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Ford vs Ferrari.....8.5 out of 10 

Yeah watched it this weekend whilst stormed-in at the van in Wales.

Even the wife loved it.

Anyone else notice Miles' lad wearing a 60's Villa shirt while they watched the Le Mans on TV? :flag:

Damn, beaten to it by @bickster

Edited by rjw63
A country not a Polish president
  • Haha 1

Gonna take a virus outbreak movie week to get in the mood before the world ends. Started with The Andromeda Strain a few weeks back but that one doesn't really qualify.

Movies of the week will be:

• Warning Signs (1985)
  • Outbreak (1995)
  • Carriers (2009)
  • Contagion (2011)
  • 93 Days (2016)

Neither of them are great but all of them have something. 

@sneIf you don't mind a slower movie on a similar theme, I recently rewatched the Todd Haynes film, 'Safe', with one of Julianne Moore's early roles, and I think it's stood the test of time very well (though the first half is definitely more engaging than the second).

• Thanks 1

saw Greed tonight - oddly enough in a first visit to one of those Everyman theatres, where you sit on a mini sofa and they serve you food and drink :D felt somewhat apt. Film was pretty good,  an accidental book end to a film themed double bill having seen The Laundromat on Friday. Preferred this slightly more conventional approach to the story, which could barely be much more thinly disguised about Phillip Green. It's what you expect, and solidly done though at times it felt like two films mashed together into one

12 hours ago, sne said:

Gonna take a virus outbreak movie week to get in the mood before the world ends. Started with The Andromeda Strain a few weeks back but that one doesn't really qualify.

Movies of the week will be:

• Warning Signs (1985)
  • Outbreak (1995)
  • Carriers (2009)
  • Contagion (2011)
  • 93 Days (2016)

Neither of them are great but all of them have something. 

watched Contagion last night and would have to say I thought it was brilliant. It also gave me the first nightmare that I have had for years, despite being an avid horror watcher! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

watched Contagion last night and would have to say I thought it was brilliant. It also gave me the first nightmare that I have had for years, despite being an avid horror watcher! 

I like that one too. Outbreak type movies are one of my favorite genres.

15 hours ago, sne said:

• Warning Signs (1985)
  • Outbreak (1995)
  • Carriers (2009)
  • Contagion (2011)
  • 93 Days (2016)

So, misremembered what Warning Signs was about (doesn't fit the virus outbreak criteria) so that one was disqualified so moved on to Outbreak.

It's OK but could have been way better if they ignored that army cover up nonsense and made a pure outbreak movie.

It does get extra credit for having Kevin Spacey dying a slow agonizing and horrible death thou. 6/10 purely because of this.

On 23/02/2020 at 02:26, HanoiVillan said:

Incidentally, on the subject of Parasite, I thought this Guardian gallery of alternative film posters for the movie from around the world was quite interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/feb/22/parasite-film-posters-from-around-the-world-in-pictures

This was my favourite. Saw it in the window of the Curzon and immediately decided to get my hands on a copy.

LbpZGYr.jpg

Then I went on Ebay and thought again....

DZheVbt.png

• Like 1

Hilarious if correct.

Apple won’t let bad guys use iPhones in movies, says Knives Out director

Knives Out and The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson has said that Apple won’t let the bad guys in movies use iPhones. “Apple... they let you use iPhones in movies but — and this is very pivotal if you’re ever watching a mystery movie — bad guys cannot have iPhones on camera,” the director said in a video interview with Vanity Fair.

There have long been rumors about Apple’s control over how its products are shown in TV shows and movies. According to MacRumors, the company says that its products should only be used “in the best light, in a manner or context that reflects favorably on the Apple products and on Apple Inc.”

This control seems to go back a long way. Check out this Wired article from way back in 2002, which pointed out that all the good guys in 24 use Macs, and all the bad guys use Windows PCs. By that logic, I guess the fact that everyone in Succession seems to use Samsung products makes them chaotic neutral?

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2020/2/26/21154151/apple-bad-guys-movies-iphones-product-placement

• Like 1

Â