The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Harking back to the 70s/80s Batmobiles which were basically sports cars with a body kit. Back in the day they had Batman basically drive a Corvette so there's a basis for him having a slightly modded muscle car.

I've less of an issue with this than I do the cobbled together suit, which still doesn't work for me...

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Harking back to the 70s/80s Batmobiles which were basically sports cars with a body kit. Back in the day they had Batman basically drive a Corvette so there's a basis for him having a slightly modded muscle car.

I've less of an issue with this than I do the cobbled together suit, which still doesn't work for me...

Looks like a tricked out Honda Civic coupe, his suit probably weights more than it. 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It’s like a fusion of Batman and Mad Max

Mad Bat or Bat Max? 

Batman beyond Thunderdome?

Will be interesting this movie, the villains in it are of the goofier type with The Riddler and The Penguin among them along with Catwoman (and potentially Two Face) and Falcone.

Not read the comics so I imagine there is a grittier version in there because the Adam West TV-show version and the Danny De Vito and Jim Carrey versions are a bit silly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Batman beyond Thunderdome?

Will be interesting this movie, the villains in it are of the goofier type with The Riddler and The Penguin among them along with Catwoman (and potentially Two Face) and Falcone.

Not read the comics so I imagine there is a grittier version in there because the Adam West TV-show version and the Danny De Vito and Jim Carrey versions are a bit silly.

The movie versions of those characters so far aren't very much like their comic counterparts. The closest adaptation we've had is probably the Arkham game series versions.

The Riddler is usually portrayed as an obsessive personality who constantly seeks to prove his brilliance by defeating Batman, who he views as a worthy opponent, in games of wit around his crimes. He is a narcissist, who is driven by the need to reassure his greatness, and this can turn quite dark. He's done quitenasty stuff in his desire to prove Batman is his inferior. He can definitely be played dark.

Funnily enough the Nolan Joker in many ways was quite close to Riddler, but with a different focus and a more maniac than 'superiority' bent.

Penguin is nothing at all like the de Vito version, which is undoubtedly a classic portrayal but very much it's own thing - he's not a deformed outcast misfit. The Penguin is just a gangster with a gimmick - he's short, waddles, has a beak like nose and wears old fashioned formal evening wear (his background being aristocratic), hence the nickname. His other gimmick is a love of umbrellas, which he uses as weapons, following a childhood trauma. But otherwise, he's just a crime boss, a mob lord, running his empire from a nightclub. He's smart, vicious, his run one with Batman are largely born of his criminal enterprise rather than his being meglomaniacal or insane.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I grew up with this Batman so...

Bildresultat för joker penguin adam west

Funnily enough all of those are beloved - the Cesar version of Joker had a very expensive prototype action figure of it revealed years ago and there's still a large group of people gutted it never got released...

Anywho... This is my Batman.

roy-hakim-batman.jpg?1540885540

If they could do a movie that captured this take on the Batman mythos, it would be glorious.

They never will though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Funnily enough all of those are beloved - the Cesar version of Joker had a very expensive prototype action figure of it revealed years ago and there's still a large group of people gutted it never got released...

If they could do a movie that captured this take on the Batman mythos, it would be glorious.

They never will though.

Think Pattison if nothing else has almost that perfectly square chin down on the photos, so even if the movie turns out unsatisfying there is always that. Silver lining and all that

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Think Pattison if nothing else has almost that perfectly square chin down on the photos, so even if the movie turns out unsatisfying there is always that. Silver lining and all that

My main concern with Pattinson is his physique. He's a lean guy, and I'm not sure even with some expected bulking he's going to get the size you want from Batman. Batman isn't meant to be a thin guy, he's more imposingly built. Not always to silly degree like Frank Miller had him in Dark Knight Returns, but he's usually got some heft to him. Not sure Pattinson will.

This was one of my only problems with Bale's take. He's huge in Begins, but afterwards they slimmed him and he's much less intimidating as a result.

One of the things Snyder got fairly right actually.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

My main concern with Pattinson is his physique. He's a lean guy, and I'm not sure even with some expected bulking he's going to get the size you want from Batman. Batman isn't meant to be a thin guy, he's more imposingly built. Not always to silly degree like Frank Miller had him in Dark Knight Returns, but he's usually got some heft to him. Not sure Pattinson will.

This was one of my only problems with Bale's take. He's huge in Begins, but afterwards they slimmed him and he's much less intimidating as a result.

One of the things Snyder got fairly right actually.

I also have a bit of issue seeing him as Bruce Wayne, but I guess it will be a early 30's version. He doesn't have the billionaire playboy look IMO.

Bacurau Poster

It's a Brazilian film made by 2 guys who clearly love John Carpenter (just like me) and it shows. It even has one of his synth tracks in it (I think.)

Not a horror flick but closer to Assault on Precinct 13. It's quite long, just over 2 h and kinda a slow burn. But most of all it's really odd and strange. In a good way. But it will certainly not be for everyone,

Has a very 80's B-movie feel to it and it contains a bit of gore, some unfortunate nudity and possible the best mullet you'll see anytime soon.

Very solid 7/10 WB

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2020 at 21:01, sne said:

I grew up with these Batman villains so...

Julie Newmar. Possibly the first woman that I looked at and thought rude thoughts about. 

Edit. Hold on is that Lee Meriwether? Who I also had a thing for. 

Edited by Seat68

On 01/03/2020 at 22:25, Hornso said:

Re-watched The Big Short the other night. Makes an incredibly dull sector of investment markets interesting viewing. Quality.

Yes good film. Shows how corrupt bankers were 

On 05/03/2020 at 21:07, Chindie said:

They never will though.

Is that ‘Mask Of The Phantasm’ era Batman? 

On 06/03/2020 at 07:01, sne said:

I grew up with these Batman villains so...

Back in my uni days, some weekends my friends and I would stay up all Saturday night drinking and  watching the Premier League (midnight kick off for the early game...and yes, we had no lives...). After the games had finished we’d also try and struggle through an episode of 60s Batman which came on at 6am. I’ll never forget one episode, Robin was walking across a piece of grass which was a part of a villains property. Without knowing he stepped into a trip wire unleashing the ultimate evil that was this thing....

spacer.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

Back in my uni days, some weekends my friends and I would stay up all Saturday night drinking and  watching the Premier League (midnight kick off for the early game...and yes, we had no lives...). After the games had finished we’d also try and struggle through an episode of 60s Batman which came on at 6am. I’ll never forget one episode, Robin was walking across a piece of grass which was a part of a villains property. Without knowing he stepped into a trip wire unleashing the ultimate evil that was this thing....

spacer.png

Years later, Dec swapped the death Bee for a drunk Ant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Watched this last night...

spacer.png

Pretty much a two hander exploring the complicated relationship between LSL and his mother. 

An absolute acting masterclass from Spall and Redgrave who are both on fine form. 

15 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Is that ‘Mask Of The Phantasm’ era Batman? 

Yes, or the initial Animated Series look more generally. The Timms series was basically perfect.

• Like 1

Â