The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

50 minutes ago, Rodders said:

And Richard Jenkins as great. I was wondering what else I might have seen him in but free a blank. Anyone know what films he's been in that would be worth checking out?

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Will definitely enjoy revisiting the film in lght of this chat. Do concede it never threatened to be too unexpected but still good. 

And Richard Jenkins as great. I was wondering what else I might have seen him in but free a blank. Anyone know what films he's been in that would be worth checking out?

"StepBrothers" of course :D 

Funny People has recently been added to Netflix so decided to give it a re-watch and its really quite good, possibly better than I remember.

I forgot how good Adam Sandler was in this, its a very reserved performance and probably his last good performance before the likes of Jack and Jill and Grownups etc.. and ironically before he sold his soul to Netflix.

Recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I watched Downsizing yesterday. I thought it was a comedy based on a single trailer I'd seen at the flicks, but it's not. At least I don't think it is? It made me laugh one time, but lots of non-comedy films do that.

I didn't mind the set up at all - in fact, very quickly we are presented with information as to the evolution of the tech, the intended impacts on the environment, and the unintended impacts it has on the global economy. That's all handled well. As is the difficulty of the decision made by Damon and his partners' characters. It's an odd thing then that the film completely loses it's way once we enter 'small world' - and a terrible thing for the film as a whole seeing as that's the USP.

I can't remember the last film I watched that came to a complete and utter halt, plot wise, as badly as this. There's some really odd scenes tonally, that to make matters worse, don't serve any purpose to the overall plot, or to Damon's character, coupled with major plot points being thrown at you completely out of left field.

The ending is rubbish too. I won't delve too deeply in to spoiler territory, but if Damon's character doesn't know what he wants, how are we, the audience, meant to feel about his choice? It didn't feel to me like he's done the right thing, based on what I'd learnt about him and his motivations up to that point. Which isn't a great way to end a film.

I kept going back to the original premise that the film portrayed, and I remember thinking very clearly, about 20 minutes in, "You know, this might not be so bad". The initial promise, as tentative as it was, is completely lost not even half way through the film, and by the end it doesn't really matter if he's big or small anyway, which says it all. 4/10.

Great summary of it. I definitely thought it was a comedy based on the trailers. It was a really great concept, but felt wasted on the direction they decided to take. It felt more eco warrior than actually trying to explore the practicalities and humourous side of it that I thought we'd actually see based on the trailer. 

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Mummy, the Tom Cruise version. 

It was decent! Lot better than I thought it would be. 

Agreed. It wasn't great by any means, but it was watchable. 

They'll need to make better films if this 'dark universe' thing is gonna be a proper success though. 

15 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Agreed. It wasn't great by any means, but it was watchable. 

They'll need to make better films if this 'dark universe' thing is gonna be a proper success though. 

I'm a bit of a Cruise fanboy but I didn't really have great expectations. Pleasantly surprised though. Crowe was good asDr Jekyll. 

I like the premise of the Dark Universe.

5 hours ago, sne said:

The Weinstein Company have filed for bankruptcy  in the wake of Harvey Weinstein's scandals.

Not sure what this will mean for their upcoming projects, if they have any?

Insiders will get their properties for cents on the dollar.

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

Crowe was good asDr Jekyll. 

He was **** awful! :D

That accent :crylaugh:

I'm probably just pissed off because that was one cinematic universe that I would have loved to see knock it out the park (I'm a huge Universal monsters geek) but as it stands it's D.O.A. :(

I was also well up for a Universal monsters universe. 

They **** it though. Trying to make them as action movies was a bad start. They needed to make them as horror adventures. Not overly scary but creepy enough and not your usual cookie cutter 12a action movie. That was never going to happen though.

A real shame. They could have done something really cool.

6 hours ago, sne said:

The Weinstein Company have filed for bankruptcy  in the wake of Harvey Weinstein's scandals.

Not sure what this will mean for their upcoming projects, if they have any?

'Although Hollywood’s top talent agencies stopped sending scripts to the Weinstein Company months ago as one side effect of the scandal backlash, TWC has a backlog of more than 60 projects in various stages of development that carry considerable value as the company attempts to sell itself off.

Among them: Elvis, a ten-part television biopic that’s touted as the first scripted series ever to shoot at Elvis Presley’s Graceland estate. There’s an adaptation of Stephen King’s novel The Breathing Method(in conjunction with Jason Blum’s low-budget/huge margin-generating Blumhouse Productions); a Richard Pryor biopic directed by Lee Daniels, co-starring Oprah Winfrey, Kate Hudson, and Tracey Morgan; and a big-screen blowup of the 1982 David Hasselhoff–starring Knight Rider that John Cena and Kevin Hart were circling last year.'

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/how-is-the-weinstein-company-worth-nearly-usd500-million.html

Nothing there that I feel desperate about missing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Although Hollywood’s top talent agencies stopped sending scripts to the Weinstein Company months ago as one side effect of the scandal backlash, TWC has a backlog of more than 60 projects in various stages of development that carry considerable value as the company attempts to sell itself off.

Among them: Elvis, a ten-part television biopic that’s touted as the first scripted series ever to shoot at Elvis Presley’s Graceland estate. There’s an adaptation of Stephen King’s novel The Breathing Method(in conjunction with Jason Blum’s low-budget/huge margin-generating Blumhouse Productions); a Richard Pryor biopic directed by Lee Daniels, co-starring Oprah Winfrey, Kate Hudson, and Tracey Morgan; and a big-screen blowup of the 1982 David Hasselhoff–starring Knight Rider that John Cena and Kevin Hart were circling last year.'

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/how-is-the-weinstein-company-worth-nearly-usd500-million.html

Nothing there that I feel desperate about missing. 

Yeah that all seem awful.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Sexy Beast - one of the best UK films. 

Winstone, Kingsley, McShame... acting masterclasses from all of them 

Outstanding. 

Kingsley is bloody scary in that film, he always comes across as lovely in real life but he pulls off psycho far too well in that film.

Edited by AVFCDAN

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Kingsley is bloody scary in that film, he always comes across as lovely in real life but he pulls off psycho far too well in that film.

“We were waiting for Don to turn up,” said Winstone later – and turn up he did. Having worked on the character and accent, Kingsley arrived full cockney, full Logan. Winstone had organised a beach party for him, but, meeting Kingsley, was perturbed by his immediate immersion. “He started to get on my nerves a bit,” said Winstone of their initial encounter. “So I quietly slipped backwards as he was talking, and I climbed out the window. I f****d off, I went.”

:D

Kingsley based Logan on his racist, homophobic and downright hateful grandmother.

Which amuses me no end.

finally watched war of the planet of the apes, quality dipped a bit i think but its still a good film and a very good overall trilogy, good place to stop, visuals are incredible, serkis is brilliant, it was probably woody's colonel that didnt do much for me

Â