The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep you are right about that. It gwts to that stage where whats different from this marvel film to that. There are so many now and becoming too frequent.

I really thought justice league would be good. It was so poor. The flash was ridiculously crap and not funny in the slightest. Cyborg was gash.

Onky aquaman from the new heroes was any good

They have managed their spin off films well so far, I think that's a big part of it. The likes of Ant-Man and Guardians have kept things fresh to a point and then the added humour of Thor: Ragnarok etc..

Struggling to see how they are going to keep this going although I suppose they are already 10 years into the project and people are still lapping it up.

Justice League was one of those films where my mind can’t comprehend how anyone could have seen the trailer and thought “yeah, that looks good. I’ll watch that”

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Justice League was one of those films where my mind can’t comprehend how anyone could have seen the trailer and thought “yeah, that looks good. I’ll watch that”

I have that thought process with pretty much every superhero film. They all look the same to me, just the costumes are different. 

Watched I, Tonya, very good!

Also watched Boogie Nights last night, awesome film. 

Also watched Call Me By Your Name, which again was an excellent film. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I have that thought process with pretty much every superhero film. They all look the same to me, just the costumes are different. 

Well yes. I do too. 

But I guess my point was I couldn’t see how even fans of the genre could think that film was good. It just looked like absolute shit. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2018 at 13:41, Stevo985 said:

Trailer didn’t look good, but as a justic3 league fan I thought I have to at least give it a try.

god it was shit

Had a 're watch of Black Panther this time on IMAX. First time I've used 3d since Gravity and the at least the technology has improved; fewer headaches and nausea this time around. Doesn't add anything to the film at all but it was fun to 're watch and this time I thought Killmonger was a little more complex than I had credited  him last time around. 

I'm not a comic book hero film watcher in general and thought I'd give Deadpool a whirl on Netflix because it sounded like a different take on the genre, but I had to turn it off halfway through.  I really just don't get the appeal.  Morena Baccarin looks a bit plasticy nowadays too, she was proper stunning in Homeland.  Netflix had a really good run of films on at the turn of the year but it's dried up a bit.

Just watched Dredd for the third time. Sorry, but it is so action packed and easy to watch, and I just love ol' stony face.

I am so looking forward to the TV series! I know it is coming out some time this year, but details about it are pretty scarce.

Just please, please, don't suck.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

5aa2e838c1958_MV5BMjdmMTAwZTQtMTBiMi00OTcyLThiYTItOTgwOTI0YzJlN2E1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_SY1000_CR006741000_AL_.thumb.jpg.92c3b51571742a846a294e8464d94518.jpg

Pulpy as ****, hugely entertaining black comedy with a typically OTT performance from Cage.

Don't take it seriously and it's great, violent fun.

" Like a twisted remake of Home Alone on bath salts"

For some reason, this made me imagine Macauley Culkin eating Joe Pesci's face after knocking him out with a paint can.

On 10/03/2018 at 11:37, AJ said:

Just watched Dredd for the third time. Sorry, but it is so action packed and easy to watch, and I just love ol' stony face.

I am so looking forward to the TV series! I know it is coming out some time this year, but details about it are pretty scarce.

Just please, please, don't suck.

Came  out the same time as The Raid which had the exact same story.

Both told completely differently .

Both utterly brilliant. 

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 3

Over the last 2 weeks I've watched 3 billboards, the shape of water and the post

id probably give it to the shape of water, 3 billboards hangs its hat on some brilliant performances, the post imo was a bit boring, I'm not sure any of them would score more than 8/10 though, Dunkirk was all about sound for me rather the film itself (was happy to see that clean up sound awards and blade runner visual) darkest hour for some reason does very little for me so not sure I'll watch it, same with phantom thread

that said I really didn't like la la land or moonlight last year either

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Over the last 2 weeks I've watched 3 billboards, the shape of water and the post

id probably give it to the shape of water, 3 billboards hangs its hat on some brilliant performances, the post imo was a bit boring, I'm not sure any of them would score more than 8/10 though, Dunkirk was all about sound for me rather the film itself (was happy to see that clean up sound awards and blade runner visual) darkest hour for some reason does very little for me so not sure I'll watch it, same with phantom thread

that said I really didn't like la la land or moonlight last year either

I've tended to avoid Oscar bait films in recent years as they can be quite pretentious and trying to hard. Last year was the exception for me with so many excellent films like MBTS, Moonlight and Nocturnal Animals.

This year is more of a return to the norm as I only really liked 3 Billboards.

Just finished Annihilation (out on Netflix today) really liked. Thou I suspect it won't be for everyone.

Visually it is as expected stunning, and the sound is also very good. Would have loved to watch it in the cinema.

Won't spoil anything so I'll just leave it at that for the moment.

I recommend it to anyone who likes slow, mystery sci-fi. Shame Garland won't be involved in any potential sequels.

I have the books but have not read them yet, but I might crack on with that now.

8/10 WB

• Like 1

Murder in the Orient Express this weekend wasn't bad. It's quite slight, but I don't see what else you can really do with the story without needlessly padding it, and it's a great cast having a laugh on very pretty sets with a **** ton of CGI to make it 'epic'. Not bad.

• Like 1

In new movie news, the Tomb Raider reboot is apparently shite (because of course it is) and Ready Player One reactions are all over the shop. Some seem to quite like it, others despise it. I'd expected it to be a bit shit because, well, it looks shit and had from the first reveal, so I'm surprised anyone seems to be rating it. Literally the only thing I've seen of that film that I liked was a blink and you'll miss it shot of a Gundam and the Iron Giant.

Â