The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally got around to watching Spotlight yesterday. It was excellent, good performances all round. I tend to find "true" stories very gripping.

Going to watch this right now

• Like 1

'Sicario' was, well, something. There was stuff to enjoy - the set pieces & the look of it mainly - but a whole lot that just got grating after a while. Nothing was more grating that Emily Blunt's character, who I just didn't believe in from the get go. I can't accept that a 21st century FBI agent would be so idealistic and naive. We must do things buy the book! I'm going to tell everybody! Christ. Similarly the plot itself, the idea of shaking things up, and how it was resolved didn't feel right to me. It was also just draining to watch, which was really due to the style of the film; it had a staleness that I can't quite put my finger on.

The big short was really good in the ways wolf of Wall Street wasn't. You cared more about the central characters and it did a good job of explaining the crisis and the industry as a whole without the viewer feeling patronised.

Where it failed was it was nowhere near as entertaining as WOWS. If a middle ground was possible that's where the sweet spot lies.

Am I the only person who wasn't really that blown away by Spotlight? Journalists bravely fighting for The Truth! Mark Ruffalo having a breakdown! Corruption! Mark Ruffalo's eyebrows! Do they have the nerve to tell the story that everyone in the audience knows they told? Only a very over-acting Mark Ruffalo can tell us! 

I guess I thought it was pretty decent, but that Mark Ruffalo sucked, and I don't think it's a patch on 'The Insider' in terms of a can-these-brave-people-get-their-very-important-message-to-the-public-in-the-face-of-corrupt-opposition movie. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Inside out. Quite a touching kids film. But at the end when she spoke to a boy and his brain freaked out, we've all been there.

You're sick!

• Like 4

Just watched "The Sword of Destiny", the Netflix sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

It's good. If you liked Crouching Tiger, you'll like this, even though it is a much lower budget, simpler film. 

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Just watched "The Sword of Destiny", the Netflix sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

It's good. If you liked Crouching Tiger, you'll like this, even though it is a much lower budget, simpler film. 

i cant help but think they'll never be able to replicate the impact of the original so it'll never work, and then they also did it in english (think both are available) which is shite IMO

i'll get round to it eventually, the first is a stunning film

also need to get hold of the assasin which is meant to be the best wuxia film in ages

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I noticed Mad Max cleaned up at the Oscars, rightly so I think.

was one of the worst films I've seen in the last 12 months if I'm honest  , though I don't doubt it well deserved it's awards for clothes design and hair and makeup  

Â