The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

YIL (as opposed to TIL) that Deadpool is a superhero that regularly breaks the 4th wall.  I'm not a superhero fan so I didn't know there was this renegade in that world.  It's a cool idea though especially when used humourously, so it's not surprising that people have lapped up this novel approach.  I'm even intrigued enough to give it a watch.

On 18/02/2016 at 07:14, maqroll said:

Possibly the most overrated movie franchise in history

Bourne overrated? Get out! :)

The first 3 combine for a superb trilogy

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bourne overrated? Get out! :)

The first 3 combine for a superb trilogy

I just couldn't get into them. The convoluted plot, the shaky camera, the frenetic country jumping, the Matt Damoning....

5 hours ago, BOF said:

YIL (as opposed to TIL) that Deadpool is a superhero that regularly breaks the 4th wall.  I'm not a superhero fan so I didn't know there was this renegade in that world.  It's a cool idea though especially when used humourously, so it's not surprising that people have lapped up this novel approach.  I'm even intrigued enough to give it a watch.

He regularly does it in the comics. To the extent he knows he's in a comic book..

a34565631e6a96a89d1f3c7f3eb5ef27.jpg

tumblr_inline_nqf9v92M0X1rbdoc1_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_nnndizJnl91rbdoc1_400.jpg

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The first one is good because it doesn't feature many of those things. 

The second and third ones can suck my balls. 

Second and third aren't terrible, bit the first is infinitely the best.

The diner scene is fantastic. As is the bit where he first realises he can just beat the sh@t out of anyone.

The Wolverine... What an appalling film, was very close to turning it off but had to see it through...

Hugh Jackman is looking old in it as well..I know wolverine is a main stay of the franchise(X men), but surely they need to kill him off soon as I don't see anyone taking over Jackman, yet the movie franchise (X men)probably still has legs.

Also didn't get the Jean Grey angle, yes I know wolverine loves her, but I don't remember them getting together in the films.

Edited by mikeyp102

3 hours ago, jon_c said:

Second and third aren't terrible, bit the first is infinitely the best.

The diner scene is fantastic. As is the bit where he first realises he can just beat the sh@t out of anyone.

I admit, I might be a bit biased by the fact I MASSIVELY fancy Franka Potente and I remember how irked I was when she gets bumped off at the start of the second one.

But it's not just that. I just didn't enjoy the frantic camerawork Greengrass did. The first movie kept things simple: my favourite scene is the car chase, which I maintain is one of the best car chases committed to film - literally nothing happens that couldn't happen (at a stretch) in real life. No explosions, no rocket launchers, just a well-filmed chase. Simple pleasures innit. 

Yeah you'll be ok with Thor, there's a couple of bits that might not make much sense, a bit of Lokis story and the mention of New York but other than that you'll be fine

Avengers 1 without CA again yeah probably, avengers 2 without CA 2 probably not, CA 2 without CA 1 is a no and IMO CA 2 is the best out of the lot

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I admit, I might be a bit biased by the fact I MASSIVELY fancy Franka Potente and I remember how irked I was when she gets bumped off at the start of the second one.

But it's not just that. I just didn't enjoy the frantic camerawork Greengrass did. The first movie kept things simple: my favourite scene is the car chase, which I maintain is one of the best car chases committed to film - literally nothing happens that couldn't happen (at a stretch) in real life. No explosions, no rocket launchers, just a well-filmed chase. Simple pleasures innit. 

I agree about the realism, it doesn't rely on huge set pieces like a Bond or MI movie. My concern about the new one, looking at the teaser trailer, shows a car chase through Vegas in an an armoured vehicle that looks like its taken straight off a MI movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Question for marvel fans.

I've seen The first Thor film, can I watch Thor 2 and understand the story without watching avengers, and can I get avengers without seeing captain America? 

Bits of Thor 2 don't make sense if you've not seen the Avengers, nothing in the main plot really but there's characters and references that you won't understand if you've not seen the Avengers.

Cap 1 introduces the MacGuffin for the Avengers and helps explain Caps character, which is a running gag/theme of every film he appears in after, particularly providing a set up that is/will be very important in movies that follow, and various references in the later movies, some of which are fairly important. Nothing you can't pick up by reading a plot synopsis though. Saying that Cap 1 is good fun so worth watching, although it is the Marvel film that seems to divide people more than others - some think it's one of the best, some think it's one of the worst.

Rule of thumb - everything post Avengers 1, watch the Avengers first.

Of the entire run, the ones that you can skip (to date anyway, they may become more important as the movies go on) are the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. The Hulk is just a Hulk movie and so far the only tie in has been a single joke in the Avengers and a supporting character appearing again in Civil War. Iron Man 2 is pointless in the scale of the series besides introducing Black Widow, its only redeeming feature being some nice set pieces. Guardians of the Galaxy is currently skippable in the grand scheme of things but is brilliant and will be more important as Phase 3 goes on.

• Like 1

So I started with Captain America... Have to say not overly impressed... Just thought the technology the Americans had (obviously the Germans had the Tesseract where they got there weapons) was far too advanced for the time.

As for the other films, love Guardians. Although it is a Marvel film, at the moment it is so far away from the other films that it doesn't seem to fit in the series and works well as a stand alone film.

Questuon though, is the Tesseract one of the 6 things, similar to the orb in guardians? 

Edited by mikeyp102

1st avengers, a lot better... That's how a comic book film should be. Little bit boring in the middle, when Loki is inprisoned, but enough to get through. 

Heading into phase 2, again can I get through without watching iron man 3 (haven't seen all of 1 and none of 2) as not really a fan. I'm guessing I won't miss much from the storylines?

IMO yes, iron man 3 is ok, the trailer set it up that the 30 odd different suits rocked up at the end and to be fair that bit of the film worked but overall it's just ok, like chindie said IM2 is the series weakest point, RDJ is ok in avengers, got fairly high hopes for him in civil war but I did get the sense that he's not really in to iron man solo anymore

Trying to think what there is from phase 2, CA2 is good it goes for like a political thriller, it's not a kids film that's for sure, ant man was surprisingly decent, Thor 2 was better than Thor 1 IMO but I'm still not sold on him, avengers 2 couldn't live up the hype, guardians was brilliant

Iron man in my head is middle of the road, they don't know what to do with it, RDJ isn't interested, the villains aren't really there and I think to be fair to them marvel are trying to split the super hero genre in to different genres, like I said CA has gone like a thriller, ant man verged on comedy, avengers stuck to action, will be interesting to see how they do strange and black panther, if they could do a deadpool esque one to add to it then it'd be good but maybe that's what they've done with the Netflix stuff

I don't write them off as shite superhero shite, they serve a purpose to cinema in general and I do get the impression they're trying, don't think I'll be saying the same about DC...

I'm also interested with what they do with deadpool and Jessica Jones in civil war, at the moment I'm saying nothing but I'd love them to throw it in, try them too mikey, really good TV

• Like 1

Â