The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Iron Man 3 rounds off Tony Stark as a character, his actions after that movie make more sense after seeing that basically the events of the Avengers and Iron Man 3 shape who he is going forward - I don't think the Stark of the first film acts like I suspect he will in Civil War, for instance. But in the grand scheme of things again it's not an important element of the series so far.

I generally agree with v4e beyond that. The lynchpin of Phase 2 is Cap 2, which kinda acts like Avengers 1.5 in some ways but merges that with political thriller tropes. It's one of the best movies of the lot and very rewatchable I've found.

I should add that they can't do anything with Deadpool. He's considered part of the XMen franchise so that's Fox owned property.

Nah what I meant was they've got say 6 films on the go, 1 comedy, 1 sci fi, 1 thriller, 1 action, 1 is goi g to be mystical, they could do 1 R rated sweary adult film to differentiate it from the others (because I think that's what marvel are trying to do) but at the same time you could say that's what the TV stuff on Netflix is doing

On paper I don't know what they do with black panther to make it stand out

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nah what I meant was they've got say 6 films on the go, 1 comedy, 1 sci fi, 1 thriller, 1 action, 1 is goi g to be mystical, they could do 1 R rated sweary adult film to differentiate it from the others (because I think that's what marvel are trying to do) but at the same time you could say that's what the TV stuff on Netflix is doing

On paper I don't know what they do with black panther to make it stand out

Ah I see.

I don't think they'll go down that route. Certainly not with anything on the current slate. The Netflix stuff fills the more adult quota.

As for Black Panther, it's going to differentiate itself just be being about a fundamentally different type of hero. A black African superhero is enough to set it apart. It won't be enough to make it into a massive massive success but then it's never going to be so I doubt they care. Black Panther is more about just expanding the world the movies exist in, he's another cog that slides into the machine. It'll be interesting though, particularly if they lean heavily on the stuff where Black Panther isn't in America.

Watched Fast and Furious 7 last night. As expected, not that good. How it earned £1.5 billion in a mystery! The franchise has earned $4 billion so far. Proof that people will flock to the cinema to watch shit.

The ending was poignant, and quite sad re; Paul Walker. You could Vin Diesel was speaking from the heart.

• Like 1

Reel Steel. Yep it was pretty cheesy in parts, but I was 'pleasantly' surprised.  Would never have bothered if IMDB didn't rate it as a 7/10

Good film for a hangover

and i must have watched the first part of Castaway for the tenth time last night.  All goes downhill after Wilson leaves.  Love the idea of desert island survival.

Edited by lloydxmas

Captain America 2, better than the first one. I'm not really a fan of the cap America character though. Too goody goody, too smarmie. Plus I don't see how he can defend himself with that shitty shield. Someone would just put a bullet in his head.

Want one of those wing suits though

Edited by mikeyp102

Saw Deadpool last night.

It was ok. 

Lots of funny bits, lots of painfully unfunny bits.

The fourth wall stuff was incredibly hit and miss, and didn't really think much to the plot. I actually thought the big metal chap made for some much funnier bits than Deadpool himself.

Worth a watch but nowt special.

Two contrasting films yesterday. Firstly The Revenant, and from that to the Irreverent i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy.  Revenant was technically brilliant, beautiful, accomplished and all those Oscary words.  But I found it boring and was not entertained.  An element of inaccessability and an air of superiority go far.  Which again makes it bona fide Oscar material.  Whereas Guardians of the Galaxy, having had it recommended on here, was actually a lot funnier than I expected it to be, with some laugh out loud moments and all-round silliness.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

lots of painfully unfunny bits

I'm intrigued .. any bits in particular ? (I'm thinking more from an "  am I warped and twisted"   rather than from your side of things  as I can't think think of anything in particular that missed )

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm intrigued .. any bits in particular ? (I'm thinking more from an "  am I warped and twisted"   rather than from your side of things  as I can't think think of anything in particular that missed )

Can't really think of many specific examples.

Stuff like them having sex all the time and wishing each other merry xmas, happy thanksgiving etc etc. 

A lot of what he said when

Spoiler

he was being tortured

Even I wanted him to shut up, let alone Francis.

Dunno, can't think of anymore specifics. A lot of stuff in the first 20 minutes were really wide of the mark, imo. Childish jokes in an obviously adult film, didn't really work. I was thinking I'd made a mistake by choosing that film as it didn't start well.

Improved as it went on though.

I think they just overkilled it quite a lot.

LOOK. THIS IS THE JOKE! MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME? DON'T WORRY, HERE IT IS AGAIN!!

It was a hell of a lot better than the "humour" you usually get in a comic book film though. 

I also think there were probably some inside humour I didn't get. The stuff about Wolverine's balls at the start for example. I'm sure that probably had some significance, but again for me it was like "yeah we get it, you're talking about balls"

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also think there were probably some inside humour I didn't get. The stuff about Wolverine's balls at the start for example. I'm sure that probably had some significance, but again for me it was like "yeah we get it, you're talking about balls"

I think it relates to Deadpool being in the first Wolverin origins film and the fan boys absolutely hating it  ( but probably someone with more knowledge on these things can explain the whole thing much better if they so wish )

Beneath Hill 60  (2010)

I came across this aussie war film on You Tube by chance and must say i really enjoyed it. It is one of the best WW1 i have seen and certainly worth a look  7/10 

Â