The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

it's a woman giving a part of her anatomy freely  ,  if anything it's empowering for women  .. we've moved on from Goldfinger where Bond in effect cures a lesbian by forcing himself on her 

Goldfinger will get banned from TV any day now.

16 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The thing that ruins any scare factor with IT is:

Hide contents

How completely and utterly incompetent he is.  He's a shapeshifter with numerous abilities and he manages to kill two people in the whole film  whilst getting battered by a bunch of kids

Also, I've never read the book but what's up with all the kids he's ever killed floating in the sewers?  I thought he ate his victims?

That's exactly what the other half and I were saying!

Spoiler

Least intimidating horror villain ever. There was no real sense of threat at any point in the film beyond the first scene (which was excellently done tbf).

And the girl he manages to turn catatonic by showing the dead lights is literally just shaken out of it. 

The whole film was one big 'meh'. 

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The thing that ruins any scare factor with IT is:

Hide contents

How completely and utterly incompetent he is.  He's a shapeshifter with numerous abilities and he manages to kill two people in the whole film  whilst getting battered by a bunch of kids

Also, I've never read the book but what's up with all the kids he's ever killed floating in the sewers?  I thought he ate his victims?

Spoiler

Least intimidating horror villain ever. There was no real sense of threat at any point in the film beyond the first scene (which was excellently done tbf).

And the girl he manages to turn catatonic by showing the dead lights is literally just shaken out of it. 

1 hour ago, JB said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yep, this is exactly what I was saying earlier in the thread.

There were plenty of scenes that SHOULD have been scary. But they managed to completely suck any sense of peril out of the situation. You never felt that any of the kids were really in danger.

Goes without saying, but it's absolutely key to a horror film. It could be a bloke being attacked by cuddly puppy. If you manage to nail that peril and danger factor, then it's scary.

Doesn't matter how scary or amazing the villan looks (and Pennywise in this does look incredible, he IS a scary looking villan), if you don't feel that the characters are in danger, then you won't be scared.

That's this film all over. Just not scary

On 9/21/2017 at 10:10, tonyh29 said:

and CH4 have finally seen sense and added it back in (the other week when it was on) having previously cut the scene out

@Stevo985 ... it's kinda exactly as Chindie says , but this fight scene is just pure cinema magic , in an OTT way  , :) even the music just fits the scene ...

the sequel ..it just doesn't work for me , it lacks the charm of the first film , tries to hard , even the fight scenes are like one of those annoying youtube pranksters who want to be Dom Joly , but aren't Dom Joly and are just irritating

Hell yes easily my favourite part of the film , the lenard skinner freebird electric guitar solo is class in its own right add people killing each other and its fantastic :D.

• Like 1

Enjoyed Kingsmen 2.

It's not as good as the first but it's very much more of the same. It perhaps has a little less 'energy' about it, it's less fresh and doesn't quite have that feeling of joyful fun that the first has, but it isn't bad.

I can see where the sniffier reviews have come from - Theres a few crass moments again, one that just feels incredibly cynical and a little unpleasant and I could certainly see some people perceiving the whole thing to have a nasty undercurrent. I don't think it actually does but I could see someone thinking it. Early on it feels quite workmanlike with very abrupt editing (it has huge sections with completely flat transitions between the separate narratives for instance) and there isn't the imagination in the fight scenes this time round. It also completely runs one gag into the ground. And it makes a few narrative choices I wouldn't have made.

But if you like the first one, you'll like this I think.

• Like 1

I watched it today, it was fluffy but entertaining but that scene, much like the first one struck a real raw note. My partner hated it and she couldn't focus for the rest of the film, seems so utterly pointlessly divisive to have a scene like that in. The cameo of a certain music star was a little bizarre too

Saw Baby Driver over the weekend. Maybe it was my expectations going in but what a massively over-rated derivative action movie. Great start but from there on it was a by the numbers plot and the action where it was, was mediocre.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villakram said:

Saw Baby Driver over the weekend. Maybe it was my expectations going in but what a massively over-rated derivative action movie. Great start but from there on it was a by the numbers plot and the action where it was, was mediocre.  

I agree, certainly didn't match the hype .

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Blade Runner 2049 first reactions are out.

They call it a masterpiece.

That's a relief! I'm usually cautious about these excitable first reactions but I'm caught up in the hype for this.

Can't wait for the Blade Runner sequel? According to the first journalists to see it, you're right to be excited.

"Good news!" tweeted Guardian scribe Jordan Hoffman. "Blade Runner 2049 is a terrific continuation and expansion of the orig[inal]."

Erik Davis from the movie site Fandango agreed, calling Denis Villeneuve's film a "sci-fi masterpiece".

"If you were worried, don't be," said Empire contributing editor Dan Jolin of the follow-up to Ridley Scott's film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41412107

I'm so relieved!

Â