The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched The Avengers. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's so highly rated. It's just the same as every other superhero blockbuster (Bar Batman which is 10x better!!!).

Not impressed at all. It weren't especially bad, just extremely average. The effects were very good though! 5/10 from me.

This. (Although i'd say more like a 6/7 not 5.) Seen it twice now, it's just a leave your brain out, big action movie. But the insane praise it's got just confuses me, most of the superheroes don't really warrant there own film either IMO, Captain America, and Hulk especially. Batman makes them all look very average and stupid.

The praise is due to the fact that it nails the tone of comics perfectly. The recent Batman films have a much more serious tone. Whilst that's nice at times, it's also nice to have a film that feels like a comic book. Avengers Assemble felt like a fun comic book story that didn't take itself too seriously. I certainly wouldn't say Batman is that much better (if at all). TDKR could have been much better than it actually ended up being and one could argue that Avengers Assemble worked better as it wasn't trying to be pretentious. Anyway, there is plenty of room for Batman and the Avengers in my life...

Agreed briggaman, personally like Avengers more than the Batman movies. Can't agree with Hulk not deserving his own movie, Mark Ruffalo stole the show for me and Marvel would be crazy not to bring another Hulk out. I think they're more enjoyable on repeat viewings too, whereas the way Batman is done it'll just not be the same after the first time you've watched (though still good). I could probably watch Iron Man and Avengers every day and not get bored.

Saw The Bourne Legacy last night.

It was ok. Nothing special but better than I thought it would be.

Didn't really feel like a Bourne Film to be honest. And it's very tacked on. Just invent another programme to have these guys part of.

But I like that it's all part of the same universe without being a direct sequel. And there are a few very good moments in it, but not enough.

Ultimately, the plot for me was weak, especially the ending. I hope they leave the series alone now, should have left it at 3 in all honesty.

Other films I've watched this weekend:

Kill List - brilliant, but completely **** up. Terrifying in parts and it'll stay with you, that's for sure.

The Raid: Redemption - Excellent action film. Didn't know what to expect but it was really good. Mindless stuff, you don't need to think. But it was great.

The American - Again, really good. Clooney is excellent and the film was nothing like I expected. Really enjoyed it.

I kinda want to see Kill List just to see what the fuss is about.

Dredd is out soon and the marketing is ratcheting up crazily, it's reviewing fairly well so far too (Empire basically criticised it for having a plot/conceit very similar to the Raid, in the main, which says a lot). Looking like it might be an 18 as well, woohoo. Given how grim some of the violence in it is looking already (slow-mo shots of bullets tearing numerous bits of people to shreds with blood everywhere), not really surprising.

The slow-mo stuff actually looks kinda beautiful in a slightly **** up way.

I am the Law

Karl-Urban-in-Dredd-2012-Movie-Image1.jpg

Helmet still doesn't quite look right to me...

I was excited about Dredd until i saw the trailer. i don't like it. Will still see it though.

Kill List is genuinely really good. It's REALLY naturalistic. The dialogue is really believable and the acting is excellent. Which is something I love in films.

But yeah, it's pretty screwed up. And I didn't know ANYTHING about the film before I saw it, so the fact it was so screwed up probably effected me more because I didn't see any of it coming in the slightest. I won't say anything else in fear of spoiling it. But I'd recommend it, just have a cushion handy to hide behind, both for "scary" moments, and incredibly violent moments.

Watched Apollo 18 on Saturday night. It's very much like the Blair Witch style of films in that it pretends to be real footage of a covered up space expedition to the moon but shit goes down... I won't spoil since it's on Sky at the moment so some may want to watch it. Anyway, it wasn't scary at all and was pretty dull and predictable.

I do laugh when these films that pretend to be real have the text on the screen at the end detailing what happened to the people in the film and make out like it's a huge conspiracy, only to then go straight to the credits and show the hundreds of people it took to make the film... which is meant to be found footage. I mean, I know they don't really expect people to believe it but they give up a bit too easily. Although if I had worked on a film but they didn't have credits just to try and make it seem like it really happened, I guess I'd be pretty pissed off.

Anyway, it was a bit crap, wouldn't recommend. Bit spooky that Neil Armstrong died right after I watched it though.

Can't wait for Dredd, especially if its an 18, after the 12a rating for total recall i was afraid this would be another watered down mess but thankfully not.

Also Kill List - terrible movie, really poor i thought.

The praise is due to the fact that it nails the tone of comics perfectly. The recent Batman films have a much more serious tone. Whilst that's nice at times, it's also nice to have a film that feels like a comic book. Avengers Assemble felt like a fun comic book story that didn't take itself too seriously. I certainly wouldn't say Batman is that much better (if at all). TDKR could have been much better than it actually ended up being and one could argue that Avengers Assemble worked better as it wasn't trying to be pretentious. Anyway, there is plenty of room for Batman and the Avengers in my life...

It's not that I don't like it, just expected something mind blowingly good with the praise it got, instead it's just a good, big budget action film.

Also didn't think Loki was a particularly good villain, he basically spends the entire thing getting embarassed or just generally beaten.

Have anyone here seen "Die Welle"? It's about that school experiment by Ron Jones in 1967. The whole subject is quite fascinating, but before I buy the film I'd like some reviews if someone has seen it.

Â