The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just got back from seeing The Possession. I went against my better judgment as the reviews have been mixed at best, and I really wish I would have stuck to my initial thoughts. It was quite honestly one of the worst movies i've seen in recent years.

Unintentionally hilarious and unequivocally bad from start to finish.

Avoid like the plague.

Watched 'Heat' with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro a few days ago, did want them to have a few more scenes together but it was one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Pacino isn't ever in bad films though.

A heap of films worth seeing soon. Top of the pile being 'Looper', 'Lawless' and 'Killing Them Softly'.

Oh, and 'The Man With The Iron Fists' looks positively bananas.

Yeah, good few months ahead. Not to forget the likes of 'The Campaign', 'Skyfall', 'The Master', 'Seven Psycopaths' (hopefully), 'Skyfall' and 'The Hobbit'. Those are just some of them and don't include the smaller budget films.

Plus they're releasing 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' on IMAX screens later this month. It should be bloody great on an IMAX screen...

Yes, 'The Master' looks fantastic. I hope to see it in 70mm but I think that was a one off, sadly.

I'm giving 'The Hobbit' a miss though. Three movies for a mediocre kids book, meh.

Anyway, I've been going through that Sight & Sound list, and I recently watched 'The Passion of Joan of Arc'. It is utterly fantastic. I've never been one for silent films, but it blew me away. It is a tough watch, because the religious element is just a sideshow, it is about a 19 year old girl being condemned by power hungry men. Fantastic. Watch it.

Outside the Law (2010) all about the Algerian fight for independence. Good, but struggles from trying to fit too much itn, definitely has the feel ( not surprisingly ) of a director who's too passionate about the subject matter and can't judiciously decide what to leave out as he tries to cover 40 years in one film, through the narratives of three brothers. It's too much, though there is plenty of interesting stuff in there. Occasional fears that it errs on the polemical side of things, are just about negated by its efforts to show the complexity of it all I think. The central brother definitely has a Malcolm X complex about him, and his story does have some parallels. Mercifully this film isnt as long as Spike Lee' 600 hour film., but because of the slow paced start and the time jumps it definitely felt every bit of its 2 hours in length. Had the potential to be really excellent, but falls short I think really due to a lack of discipline, which is a shame. Still well worth a look though if you're interested in that period.

Battle of Algiers and Indigenes are also very good on this too. I'm in an Algerian War mode at the moment :P Got another one called Days of Glory coming up.

Gone Baby Gone on BBC 1 shortly

One of the better films from 2007

Ah is it good? It's on netflix which I have

I was really surprised by it , having low expectation with Afflick directing his brother ..but Casey is a damn fine actor (really liked him in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford as well)

I sky+'d it so will have to give it another watch and remind myself ..

also seem to recall at the time they delayed the UK release as it was deemed close to the McCann scenario ??

I was really surprised by it , having low expectation with Afflick directing his brother ..but Casey is a damn fine actor (really liked him in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford as well)

also seem to recall at the time they delayed the UK release as it was deemed close to the McCann scenario ??

Might have to watch that tonight then, cheers fella

Dredd out today.

Still reviewing well.

I really don't like it when a film is released with "3D" in the title

I've heard its quite good though and keeps quite close to the 2000 AD canon

Karl Urban got the role of Dredd because the director liked his chin apparently

Good film. Have you seen 'The Town'? Even better in my opinion.

yeah it was spose to come out at the cinema when maddie went missing so it went quiet, very good film IMO i watched it with the gf and we both had different opinions on the end (she wrongly agreed with him) which added a great dimension to the film

the town is also excellent and his next film argo looks very good too, also seen that he's in line to do a film version of the stand

saw lawless tonight, it was ok,if they wanted lebeouf's character to come across as a fairly unlikeable annoying oink then they got him spot on, for some reason the 3rd brother is really under written (anyone who has seen the trailer will probably think what 3rd brother) didnt make any sense, pearce was ok but a bit cartoon villain at times, oldman was a side story that never got going, hardy probably steals it although his voice is really slow and he spends most the film grunting rather than talking

overall its an interesting story thats told painfully slowly with writing that isnt good enough to make the romance or bromance scenes work

but jessica chastain gets her baps out which was a very nice bonus

Good film. Have you seen 'The Town'? Even better in my opinion.

and Argo beats them both

Â