The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched The Avengers. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's so highly rated. It's just the same as every other superhero blockbuster (Bar Batman which is 10x better!!!).

Not impressed at all. It weren't especially bad, just extremely average. The effects were very good though! 5/10 from me.

Also watched The Visitor - Excellent film! 8/10

Just watched The Avengers. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's so highly rated. It's just the same as every other superhero blockbuster (Bar Batman which is 10x better!!!).

Not impressed at all. It weren't especially bad, just extremely average. The effects were very good though! 5/10 from me.

watched the avengers today for the fourth time, loved it each time I think its great....but then I am a full on geek

Agree with PieFacE.. thought it was just a rehash of previous also uninspired superhero movies. I'm sure they had the budget to do absolutely anything they wanted, so why not take a chance on something fresh.

Watched the Expendables 2 last night.

It's probably better than the first one, and hits all the same buttons, but I can't really say it's good... it's fun though, though I felt kinda dirty enjoying it as much as I did.

Chuck Norris may as well not be in it by the way, which serves only to make his inclusion as a gag even more painfully obvious. And they all look so, so old. Even Statham is starting to look a little haggard.

Nope. In fairness it's not really an 'acting' film. Stathams far from the worst in it, and to be honest I'm convinced they know and are playing up the fact that they're all hardly Laurence Olivier.

in actual fact I have just had a check on IMDB to see how many of his films I have actually seen because I usually avoid them if he is in it

lock stock

snatch

mean machine

crank

war

the expendables

according to IMDB he has been in 37 films, cant believe people keep giving him work to be honest

watched the avengers today for the fourth time, loved it each time I think its great....but then I am a full on geek

Yeah I have to say that I'm not exactly a huge fan of those type of films anyway so it was never going to an amazing film for me. I was just hoping there was going to be something a little bit different about it considering the ratings it gets. My opinion on it is pretty much void as I'm not a fan of the characters anyway.

Watched the Expendables 2 last night.

It's probably better than the first one, and hits all the same buttons, but I can't really say it's good... it's fun though, though I felt kinda dirty enjoying it as much as I did.

Chuck Norris may as well not be in it by the way, which serves only to make his inclusion as a gag even more painfully obvious. And they all look so, so old. Even Statham is starting to look a little haggard.

Just got back from watching it and have to say I thought it was a hoot. Not my cup of tea at all usually as i'm not the biggest fan of the action genre but it was really fun to watch. The self referencing got a bit tiresome but all in it the definition of brainless fun.

Oh, and a thumbs up to Simon West too, he certainly knows how to direct a good action set piece.

Re: Statham, he was actually good in 'Lock, Stock...' but then he's just been type-cast as this action movie modern day Scwarzenegger.

I guess he just doesn't get decent scripts or he doesn't care?!

He's good at what he does and what he does is fairly consistent. He probably doesn't care if he's getting work and being paid well. He is almost the go-to guy for that kind of role so that's success right there.

Finally saw Ted a couple of nights ago ( pirate copy ) the interview scene litterally had me laughing for a good 5 min and had to rewind it twice , a pretty enjoyable film certainly give it a good 7.5 out of 10.

I'll end up watching it on Sky but I must say I've rarely seen a film get such diverse reviews. It has split my friends down the middle. I think I'll like it because I think the friends who didn't are ones who thought it would be Seth not being Seth. The ones who liked it seemed to accept what they'd be watching beforehand and just went with it.

Thought The Avengers was enjoyable, great effects and the 2 hours+ went quickly buuuut it kept reminding me of the Power Rangers. I don't have a clue who the dude in the credits was either.

This. (Although i'd say more like a 6/7 not 5.) Seen it twice now, it's just a leave your brain out, big action movie. But the insane praise it's got just confuses me, most of the superheroes don't really warrant there own film either IMO, Captain America, and Hulk especially. Batman makes them all look very average and stupid.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET LORD!!! Go see The Expendables 2. It was AWFUL in the best way possible!!! The dialogue cracked me up the entire time, especially the moments that were meant to be serious. And of course the action was amazing as well as absurd. And all of the action movie veterans take the time out to mock each other and themselves. As long as you watch it with the expectation to laugh at it, it's great!

Â