The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Yes! I used to love that film, although I've not seen it in ages.

Critical 'keeps my powder dry' Bill.

Andy Garcia in that film is one of the coolest humans in history.

I still use the term 'boat drinks' in conversation from time to time, despite living 200 miles from the sea.

Plus 'Buckwheats...'

spacer.png

• Haha 1

spacer.png

I'm a massive fan of Wes Anderson so it pains me to say that I didn't like this at all.

The trademark beautiful symmetrical style and dead pan delivery are present, but unfortunately he's completely missed the mark with the characters and story.

There isn't an ounce of charm or soul in any of the interactions (massive contrast to say something like the relationship between the three brothers in Darjeeling Ltd or Steve and his son in the Life Aquatic), its all painfully obscure monologues and soulless dialogue.

So **** disappointed. 

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Went to watch Indy V and as a family film it hits the mark with plenty on nods to the original three films. 

Sure, it’ll have its critics and of course there are things you can pick at but if taken at face value in the manner it’s intended it’s a nice enjoyable romp. 

The beginning is right up there with the other Indy opening sequences and Ford is still convincing even despite his advancing years. 

Spoiler

The finale certainly requires a pinch of salt though 😂

• Like 1

No interest in superhero movies, but I have to say Rachel Brosnahan is perfect casting for Lois Lane. 

But I came here to rave about War Sailors (Krigsseileren) - Norwegian film about their merchant fleet on the Atlantic conveys in WWII. Currently showing in three parts on Netflix. Very powerful stuff - have you seen it, @El Zen

I'm still working my way through the MCU. Luckily I've got to the stage where the movies are actually good, so it's a lot easier now. Just watched Black Panther.

Here are my verdicts on all of the movies so far, if anyone cares

Captain America: The First Avenger - Boring and shit
Captain Marvel - actually decent
Iron Man - rubbish
Iron Man 2 - more rubbish
The Incredible Hulk - boring and shit
Thor - one of the most boring films I've ever seen
The Avengers - Great
Thor: The Dark World - worse than the first one. This film alone caused me to have a 6 month break from the MCu because it was so shit. I gave up.
Iron Man 3 - awful
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - fine but extremely overrated. The Winter Soldier is an incredibly dull character. I don't care about him whatsoever
Guardians of the Galaxy - good fun. I still think it's a bit overrated and the soundtrack is completely shoehorned in. But it's a good, fun movie
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Started really well and goes downhill in the second half. The ending is absolutely awful, twee nonsense
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Really good. The movie that made me want to go on this horrible journey in the first place :D 
Ant-Man - way better than I expected. Really fun, Paul Rudd is a legend. Just why do they show Ant Man Running ALL THE TIME?!
Captain America: Civil War - Yeah this one is excellent. It's not really a captain america film, which helps a lot. 
Black Widow - Dogshit
Spider-Man: Homecoming - missed this one. it's not on Disney so I'll have to catch up. I absolutely hate spiderman movies so my expectations are low
Black Panther - absolutely brilliant. Best one so far by a country mile. Extremely un-marvel to be honest, which probably helps

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm still working my way through the MCU. Luckily I've got to the stage where the movies are actually good, so it's a lot easier now. Just watched Black Panther.

Iron Man - rubbish
The Avengers - Great
Thor: The Dark World - worse than the first one. This film alone caused me to have a 6 month break from the MCu because it was so shit. I gave up.
Iron Man 3 - awful
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - fine but extremely overrated. The Winter Soldier is an incredibly dull character. I don't care about him whatsoever
Guardians of the Galaxy - good fun. I still think it's a bit overrated and the soundtrack is completely shoehorned in. But it's a good, fun movie
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Started really well and goes downhill in the second half. The ending is absolutely awful, twee nonsense
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Really good. The movie that made me want to go on this horrible journey in the first place :D 
Ant-Man - way better than I expected. Really fun, Paul Rudd is a legend. Just why do they show Ant Man Running ALL THE TIME?!
Captain America: Civil War - Yeah this one is excellent. It's not really a captain america film, which helps a lot. 
Black Widow - Dogshit
Spider-Man: Homecoming - missed this one. it's not on Disney so I'll have to catch up. I absolutely hate spiderman movies so my expectations are low
Black Panther - absolutely brilliant. Best one so far by a country mile. Extremely un-marvel to be honest, which probably helps

Sounds like a massive waste of time overall.

I think I’ve seen Black Panther out of all of them. And Thor.

Bringing something from Unpopular Opinions to this thread, the crux being I wouldn't watch Once Upon A Time In hollywood again. 

What I did find interesting though and perhaps I wanted more on that was the Manson Family. I am unsure, and I feel @Designer1 could school me a little on this, there has been a good Manson Family film done that tells the story of key players and the Tate/LaBianca murders. That is the film I was hoping for, and the reason I didnt love the Tarantino film.

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Bringing something from Unpopular Opinions to this thread, the crux being I wouldn't watch Once Upon A Time In hollywood again. 

What I did find interesting though and perhaps I wanted more on that was the Manson Family. I am unsure, and I feel @Designer1 could school me a little on this, there has been a good Manson Family film done that tells the story of key players and the Tate/LaBianca murders. That is the film I was hoping for, and the reason I didnt love the Tarantino film.

This was a good one which focuses on some of the female members in prison.

Charlie Says (2018 film) poster.jpg

Matt Smith plays old Charlie boy

Edited by Wainy316
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The ones I've seen are mostly awful (especially the Haunting of Sharon Tate) but for me the best one is a made for TV movie called Helter Skelter. It's been a fair while since I've seen it and I'm not sure if it's streaming anywhere, but from what I remember it was a pretty accurate account and the guy who played Manson absolutely nailed it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The ones I've seen are mostly awful (especially the Haunting of Sharon Tate) but for me the best one is a made for TV movie called Helter Skelter. It's been a fair while since I've seen it and I'm not sure if it's streaming anywhere, but from what I remember it was a pretty accurate account and the guy who played Manson absolutely nailed it.

My films access has both this and the one mentioned by @Wainy316 so will give them both a view. Thanks both.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Sounds like a massive waste of time overall.

I think I’ve seen Black Panther out of all of them. And Thor.

The first part of the run was very very tough. Those early MCU films are really shit, imo. There's just nothing to them except massive CGI action scenes. I genuinely find the movies very boring.

The only reason I'm watching them is because I liked the first two Avengers movies, and I know Infiinty War and End Game are rated extremely highly, so I wanted to watch them but have the payoff of having seen all the movies.

The ones I'm up to now are mostly good movies. And the next few to come running up to Inifinity War and End Game are supposed to be good too.

So the payoff I think will be worth it. But **** me those early movies are a slog to get through. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 20:13, mykeyb said:

Four Lions on Netflix……….seen it before on a number of occasions but it cracks me up every single time.

I just watched that again for the first time in about 5 years, what a film, there can't be many better out of the UK.  Every scene is either hilarious or packs a punch and some fantastic performances.

tile?size=1280x720&format=jpeg&partner=h

Angels in America (Mike Nichols) - Great film, Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Emma Thompson, Jeffrey Wright, Mary-Louise Parker and the rest all give great performances.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Iron Man - rubbish
The Avengers - Great
Iron Man 3 - awful
Black Widow - Dogshit

I didn't know you were doing this Ben and coincidentally I just started myself. I've always been bored by superhero movies (when the X-Men started) and then Hollywood started making basically nothing else. 

I'm going off the order in this article which says the best way to watch them is in the order they were released. 

Iron Man - ok, lots of action pretty silly 
Hulk with Ed Norton - the article says to avoid this so I skipped it!
Iron Man 2 - again OK. Found myself scrolling on my phone but it passes a couple of hours
Thor - I did't watch by mistake but I didn't miss much by all accounts
CA - 1st Avenger - OK - bit of a struggle to stick with
Avengers - Pretty fun
Iron Man 3 - From silliness now trying to be more serious - meh
Thor Dark World - very hard work
Winter Soldier - I had fun
Guardians of the Galaxy - I actually watched this when it 1st came out for some reason and I thought it was alright. Thought a lot less of it 2nd time
Age of Ultron - Pretty good!
Ant Man - Missed it but will watch at some point as it's meant to be fun
Civil War - Really good - I'm actually interested now in the overall plot to see where it goes.

All in all, I think I get now why people are into it. It's a bit like a Doctor Who-esque Universe. Lords, Demi Gods, different dimensions and instead of a main protagonist like the Dr, it's a team and that brings politics into it as their relationships develop. Then there's the over-reaching story arc over multiple films like the Dr. Who series (Bad Wolf etc.)

Dr. Strange up next.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 23:29, mjmooney said:

No interest in superhero movies, but I have to say Rachel Brosnahan is perfect casting for Lois Lane. 

But I came here to rave about War Sailors (Krigsseileren) - Norwegian film about their merchant fleet on the Atlantic conveys in WWII. Currently showing in three parts on Netflix. Very powerful stuff - have you seen it, @El Zen

I haven’t. But the story obviously has cinematic potential, so perhaps I’ll give it a look. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd posted in here the other day but I've just skimmed the topic and appears I didn't.

Watched Big Trouble In Little China last week when ill. Bizarre, fun, Kurt Russell, all over the place, Carpenter. Not much more you can say other than just a good ride 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I just watched that again for the first time in about 5 years, what a film, there can't be many better out of the UK.  Every scene is either hilarious or packs a punch and some fantastic performances.

Riz Ahmed is a fantastic actor. Really enjoyed his performances in The Night Of and the one about the metal drummer going deaf, name escapes me.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Riz Ahmed is a fantastic actor. Really enjoyed his performances in The Night Of and the one about the metal drummer going deaf, name escapes me.

Sound of Metal. Very good film. I like Riz Ahmed a lot too, would like him to do more. He's great in Nightcrawler too (think that's what it's called)

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I didn't know you were doing this Ben and coincidentally I just started myself. I've always been bored by superhero movies (when the X-Men started) and then Hollywood started making basically nothing else. 

I'm going off the order in this article which says the best way to watch them is in the order they were released. 

Iron Man - ok, lots of action pretty silly 
Hulk with Ed Norton - the article says to avoid this so I skipped it!
Iron Man 2 - again OK. Found myself scrolling on my phone but it passes a couple of hours
Thor - I did't watch by mistake but I didn't miss much by all accounts
CA - 1st Avenger - OK - bit of a struggle to stick with
Avengers - Pretty fun
Iron Man 3 - From silliness now trying to be more serious - meh
Thor Dark World - very hard work
Winter Soldier - I had fun
Guardians of the Galaxy - I actually watched this when it 1st came out for some reason and I thought it was alright. Thought a lot less of it 2nd time
Age of Ultron - Pretty good!
Ant Man - Missed it but will watch at some point as it's meant to be fun
Civil War - Really good - I'm actually interested now in the overall plot to see where it goes.

All in all, I think I get now why people are into it. It's a bit like a Doctor Who-esque Universe. Lords, Demi Gods, different dimensions and instead of a main protagonist like the Dr, it's a team and that brings politics into it as their relationships develop. Then there's the over-reaching story arc over multiple films like the Dr. Who series (Bad Wolf etc.)

Dr. Strange up next.

Yeah I'm doing chronological order which is slightly different but I don't think it changes things hugely. It inserts stuff like Captain Marvel and Black Widow into the timeline retrospectively I believe but they're not exactly key to the story.

Yeah I get the appeal now too. But I also see why I was so put off initially, because those first films are really crap, imo.

Black Panther has definitely been my favourite so far. And Ant Man has been the biggest surprise.

Basically they seem to be getting better as you go on which bodes well. 

As I understand it some of the Spiderman films aren't on Disney so I may have to find them as I think the first slots in before black panther

• Like 1

Â