The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 11/03/2023 at 11:47, ferguson1 said:

Anyone watched Fall on Netflix yet? For someone that hates heights, it was a difficult watch for me. 

Fall - Movie Poster

Just watched this. Started ok, by the end I thought it was **** stupid. 

I was entertained, but it’s a shit film

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Finally got around to watching Nope and struggling to see what the fuss was about.  Such a stupid film.

I loved it. The craftwork is exceptional and original—the visuals, the sound design, the idea, the characters. I felt that if Nope had been made thirty years ago, when the world was more receptive to idiosyncratic genre pieces, there’d have been copycats. It's not a deep film, but it's a very well made one—it is what it is, a sci fi monster movie of high quality. I was thinking about it for ages afterwards—I have uber cinematic dreams sometimes, and I came away with the same feeling (it's more cohesive than a dream though of course).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just watched this. Started ok, by the end I thought it was **** stupid. 

I was entertained, but it’s a shit film

Agreed. It is a bit of a tense watch, but as you say by the end it just felt very stupid. It felt pretty stupid early on too.

21 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

EEAAO sweeping the Oscars.

Yep, I don't really agree with it.

Happy it won best picture and director, because it's an amazing film. So that part makes total sense.

But for me it wasn't the acting performances that made it what it was so I'm disappointed that it pretty much swept the board there. 

Michelle Yeoh was good so I guess that's ok even though it wouldn't have been my choice. 
But Ke Huy Quan beating both Gleeson and Keoghan for best supporting, and Jamie Lee Curtis winning best supporting actress are not great choices.

To be honest I'm baffled that nobody from Women Talking was up for either Best Actress or Best Supporting. That movie would have been my choice for both

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I don't really agree with it.

Happy it won best picture and director, because it's an amazing film. So that part makes total sense.

But for me it wasn't the acting performances that made it what it was so I'm disappointed that it pretty much swept the board there. 

Michelle Yeoh was good so I guess that's ok even though it wouldn't have been my choice. 
But Ke Huy Quan beating both Gleeson and Keoghan for best supporting, and Jamie Lee Curtis winning best supporting actress are not great choices.

To be honest I'm baffled that nobody from Women Talking was up for either Best Actress or Best Supporting. That movie would have been my choice for both

I actually thought correct film/wrong actress for best supporting, although Ive not seen a couple of the films so purely on the fact I thought Stephanie Hsu was better than Jamie Lee Curtis.

• Like 2

Women Talking was solid and a 'worthy' watch, but not very cinematic. When its so dialogue heavy and located more or less in one place, it's hard not to think its better suited to a play. Though having said that 12 Angry Men is one of the best films ever so I've immediately contradicted myself. Nevertheless, it is not 12 Angry Men.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

I actually thought correct film/wrong actress for best supporting, although Ive not seen a couple of the films so purely on the fact I thought Stephanie Hsu was better than Jamie Lee Curtis.

Yeah I'd 100% agree  with that. if it was to be an actress from that film, I'd have chosen Hsu too.

But three of the performances in Women Talking were better than Curtis or Hsu.

I wonder if the issue there was there's no real lead in Women Talking. There's 4 or 5 main characters. So it's almost as if they're neither leads nor supporting, so maybe they don't fit into either category

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

Women Talking was solid and a 'worthy' watch, but not very cinematic. When its so dialogue heavy and located more or less in one place, it's hard not to think its better suited to a play. Though having said that 12 Angry Men is one of the best films ever so I've immediately contradicted myself. Nevertheless, it is not 12 Angry Men.

I actually really like films like that. You could say exactly the same about The Whale (which I believe actually is based on a play).

I've always thought it about Reservoir Dogs too. Almost entirely set in one room

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually really like films like that. You could say exactly the same about The Whale (which I believe actually is based on a play).

I've always thought it about Reservoir Dogs too. Almost entirely set in one room

I'd add Glengarry Glen Ross to that list too - absolutely superb movie and almost entirely dialogue driven.

12 Angry Men is my favourite movie of all time so yeah I kinda like that one too 😀

• Like 2

I also think Paul Mescal's performance in Aftersun was better than Fraser's in The Whale.

But Fraser winning was the most obvious outcome I can remember. It's been nailed on for about 6 months

• Like 1

Curtis getting an Oscar for that 3-minute canned ham cameo was baffling but can't begrudge Michelle Yeoh winning.

I was a little surprised that Blanchett didn't win for Tár, but, again, I can't say Yeoh wasn't great.

EEAAO definitely won the PR war in the run-up to the ceremony, so it's not much of a surprise to see it win big. It's likely that the academy wants to be seen as being "down with the kidz", making a statement by rewarding a lot of people's favourite film of the year, even though (or especially because) it's not traditional Oscar-bait.

my gripe is after taking aforementioned beating , they will often purchase/ acquire  medicine and then open the lid and pour about 15 tablets into their mouth like they are Tic tacs and just eat them  , no water required , and will continue this process ad hoc until they are suddenly cured of that broken wrist and able to beat up the next bad guy ,

• Like 1

Got the lurgy at the moment so fancied a quiet film to distract me from work colleagues ringing me every three minutes. Settled on Bill Nighy’s Living. What a beautiful thing, beautifully delivered. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, I immediately rewound it and watched it again. 

Â