The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I’d absolutely love him to come to the premier league for a couple of seasons. Hopefully when fans are allowed in. I’d give my right arm to watch him at Villa Park even if it was for the opposition.

Edit, actually left arm 👀 

• Haha 3

Messi won't leave Barcelona. This is just a political move to get changes to happen at the club because clearly something is wrong there. That said, I find the whole reaction to this to be somewhat hilarious. 

I would love to see Messi in the Premier League though. I just don't think it'll happen. 

Edited by MachoFantastico

I can’t help thinking the more likely outcome is that Bartomeu leaves and Messi stays. Something is clearly very, very wrong at Barca, and it’s hard not to think that starts right at the top. 

32 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Messi won't leave Barcelona. This is just a political move to get changes to happen at the club because clearly something is wrong there. That said, I find the whole reaction to this to be somewhat hilarious. 

I would love to see Messi in the Premier League though. I just don't think it'll happen. 

Probably only club that can afford him would be PSG, and Barcelona want Neymar so could be an everyone’s a winner situation.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Obviously the owners can afford it, but can the club afford it with FFP. Will they have to move someone on to free up budget? Jesus or Aguero maybe?

FFP has been relaxed almost to the point which means this summer is a free hit. Just look at Chelsea.  

theoretically man city can afford it but for all their spending he would be something that they've never done before

their highest transfer is £75m, their highest played player is rumoured to be on £280k a week

messi in a £150m transfer and £800k a week has not got man city written all over it, I can accept that they obviously make an exception for messi but its not their business model to date

PSG with cavani and silva off the books on the other hand...

Edited by villa4europe

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

FFP has been relaxed almost to the point which means this summer is a free hit. Just look at Chelsea.  

That's only the UEFA FFP.

Chelsea actually made a £100m profit on transfers last season with the Hazard deal and their transfer embargo.

And with the Alvaro Morata deal being a loan that turned into a permanent deal this summer banking them about £50m along with some squad players leaving means their net spend is only about £15m so far this season.

Obviously once Kai Havertz signs this will change.

13 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I’m not sure they’ll get away with it (especially as their card is well marked by UEFA now).

Owners of top clubs will temporarily be permitted by Uefa’s financial fair play rules to put more money into their clubs, to cover increased losses caused by football’s shutdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Uefa announced a series of “emergency measures” to acknowledge that clubs competing in the Champions League and Europa League, who must comply with FFP “break-even” limits, cannot do so this season because of drastic losses caused by the shutdown.

The principles accept that clubs can make losses greater than the permitted €30m over a rolling three-year period, and that owners can cover those losses. Uefa stressed, however, that it was still committed to encouraging good financial management by clubs, and the measures were aimed only at “neutralising the adverse effects of the pandemic”: lost ticket income while matches are played behind closed doors, and the potentially major loss of some TV, commercial and sponsorship income.

I think City, and anyone else will need to balance the books, minus what they are down due to coronavirus.

Link

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Obviously the owners can afford it, but can the club afford it with FFP. Will they have to move someone on to free up budget? Jesus or Aguero maybe?

20k a week and everything in bonuses

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

20k a week and everything in bonuses

Pretty sure it still counts as wages 😉 

I guess he’ll get a hefty chunk of “image rights” payments (which generally get taxed at only 20%, saying that we know Leo has quite a casual approach to tax).

Edited by Genie

PSG surely the obvious bet here. Still need to win CL so that would add to his legacy (winning CL at two different clubs like Ronaldo), they can give Neymar back to Barca as a sweetner and he can play at 50% in french league (or even not play much at all) and save himself physically for CL matches and Argentina.

If he was coming to prem it would be Man. City.

Â