The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

They may sell him but no way they will let him leave for free and rightly so.

I guess la Liga (who have made their stance that he’s in breach of his contract) will try and withhold his registration to stop him signing in for City?
I agree with you that I suspect a fee will get agreed in the end. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

the way he is acting the only justice is that he becomes a failure. I think both parties are acting quite pathetic about this but Messi has thrown a lot of tantrums in recent times mainly at Argentina. **** diva

Whatever your opinion on his attitude, it sounds almost like you'd take joy in seeing him fail and his career end. I don't think many football fans would share that perspective. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess la Liga (who have made their stance that he’s in breach of his contract) will try and withhold his registration to stop him signing in for City?
I agree with you that I suspect a fee will get agreed in the end. 

Obviously none of us have seen the contract but hard not to think he is in breach. Barca and La Liga hold most of the cards, I can’t see Messi missing a years football so he will have to climb down if a few isn’t agreed. I can’t see him letting it get too bitter.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Obviously none of us have seen the contract but hard not to think he is in breach. Barca and La Liga hold most of the cards, I can’t see Messi missing a years football so he will have to climb down if a few isn’t agreed. I can’t see him letting it get too bitter.

It'll come down to the 6th June deadline being written in black and white vs the fact that it was obviously only written in because that was the end of the season.  I suspect they'll only be able to settle it in court. It still seems to me that Barca should be looking inwardly at where the problem lies, how can they possibly get in a situation that Messi wanted to leave in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Contract wording aside it’s unbelievably shitty treatment of the club that made him a superstar and has probably paid him in the region of a billion euros.

He’s lost some of my respect here. The start point for any contract is to honour it. If you want out then sit down and discuss it. He’s had a whiff of a mega-mega payday and left all of his credibility at the door as he sprinted through it to the oil billionaires.

I expect the City interest lead to him walking out, not the other way round. 

3 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Whatever your opinion on his attitude, it sounds almost like you'd take joy in seeing him fail and his career end. I don't think many football fans would share that perspective. 

Well he is a great player and a joy to watch. i just think he gets away with murder from the media and fans compared to similar high prolife players like Neymar and Ronaldo. From his tax shenanigans to His Argentina tantrums or his alleged attitude not passing the ball to certain players and now this contract shit. 

He will probably move to an unlikeable club anyway if he does move so i doubt many be wishing him success at PSG, City, United or some middle eastern club

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It'll come down to the 6th June deadline being written in black and white vs the fact that it was obviously only written in because that was the end of the season.  I suspect they'll only be able to settle it in court. It still seems to me that Barca should be looking inwardly at where the problem lies, how can they possibly get in a situation that Messi wanted to leave in the first place. 

Doesn’t matter what the intention of the wording is it’s the wording that matters, they will struggle to win any argument I would think.

I’m sure Barca are looking at how they got to this point but the fact that Messi has this clause in the first place suggests that this was always a possibility. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He will probably move to an unlikeable club anyway if he does move so i doubt many be wishing him success at PSG, City, United or some middle eastern club

I doubt many fans would have an issue with him moving to any English club.

I would absolutely love it. Even if it does mean I'll see him bending Neil Taylor over and scoring 5 goals against us. It's Messi. **** it.

I’d love to see Messi in the PL even at City for lots of reasons. I’d love to see him play, I’d love to take my boys to watch him, I’d love to see how he would stand up to the physical nature of the game here compared to Spain.

On his image, I do think Messi gets an easy ride on some of his actions because of his incredible ability. He is forgiven far more than Ronaldo.

• Like 1

Go Juve (Or Milan :) ) and play with Ronaldo and catapult them to the biggest fan base in the world :lol: 

It would be hilarious (and a glorious experiment) and there's no way Juve wouldn't be able to cash in BIG style if it were to happen.

Has it ever happened, where a club has two of the (clearly) best players in history at the same time?  I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

£1.3m is a pretty sweet transfer fee for Rakitic as far as Sevilla are concerned. Imagine he'll get big wages and a signing fee but still a nice deal for them.

Barca desperate to cut their wage budget I guess. He had 1 year left on his Barca contract but got a new 4 year deal with Sevilla.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Go Juve (Or Milan :) ) and play with Ronaldo and catapult them to the biggest fan base in the world :lol: 

It would be hilarious (and a glorious experiment) and there's no way Juve wouldn't be able to cash in BIG style if it were to happen.

Has it ever happened, where a club has two of the (clearly) best players in history at the same time?  I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

Possibly Real Madrid when they had Zidane and Ronaldo?

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Barcelona used to have Xavi, Iniesta and Messi at one stage not a bad trio ;) 

Milan used to wheel out a defence of Cafu, Maldini and Nesta not too long ago, Real had Carlos, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and Gravesen

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Cruyff and Neeskens with Ajax together and then Barca.

7 hours ago, sne said:

£1.3m is a pretty sweet transfer fee for Rakitic as far as Sevilla are concerned. Imagine he'll get big wages and a signing fee but still a nice deal for them.

Barca desperate to cut their wage budget I guess. He had 1 year left on his Barca contract but got a new 4 year deal with Sevilla.

Great deal for Sevilla. Horrific negotiations by Barcelona but that’s nothing new. They could’ve fetched a lot more. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Great deal for Sevilla. Horrific negotiations by Barcelona but that’s nothing new. They could’ve fetched a lot more. 

Premier league clubs would have paid £15-20m wouldn’t they? I know he’s 32 but he’s a quality player. I guess his mind was made up and he’d told both parties it was.

• Like 1

Barcelona need to start planning for life without Messi in the very near future regardless. This seems like the perfect opportunity to get a fee for him, shift his astronomical wages and put the "blame" on his shoulders for wanting out.

Not really sure how he'd make City much better to be honest. Their issue last season wasn't creating or scoring goals and it means less opportunity for their younger players which are their future and may even need to shift them to accommodate him and afford his wages (B. Silva etc) but I guess at least in means we'll see him in the Prem even if it is in another Guardiola side.

• Like 1

Â