The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Hasn't anyone mentioned that Messi sent a FAX to the club?! 

What is this? 1996? Surely he must have a Hotmail account he can email from!  

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hasn't anyone mentioned that Messi sent a FAX to the club?! 

What is this? 1996? Surely he must have a Hotmail account he can email from!  

Many people online have been pointing out it probably wasn't a fax in the old 80s sense of the word.

He sent a burofax - sort of like a recorded delivery in the UK.

It's likely his lawyers would have sent a PDF through the Spanish postal service and FC Barcelona had to acknowledge that they'd received it.

In Spain, it means there's legal proof of what was sent and on what date.

Which might come in handy if the dispute between Barca and Messi gets, well, messy.

They're arguing over a clause in his contract worth about €700m (£629m), so it could end up in court.

Link

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Can certainly see why it's in La Liga's interest to keep Messi at Barca. Wonder if FIFA/UEFA/CAS also feel the clause isn't applicable?

The date has clearly passed, Messi’s argument is that the date should be extended because the season was extended.  There is nothing to suggest the clause should move  relative to the season ending so he’s certainly clutching at straws. He can’t pick and choose which parts of his contract are open to interpretation and which are not.

Apparently he has not gone in today for annual pre-season medical. Does that mean he shouldn’t be paid? If he gives up a weeks wages then that’s £1.7m.

Its a bit of a shitty move tbh to force through a free transfer from a club who have been paying him obscene wages for over a decade. Fair enough put a transfer request in if you want to move and give up your percentage of the transfer fee. Worst case he stays one more year and picks up another £90m. 

Edited by Genie

La Liga will be desperate to keep Messi in the league, he's such a massive reason people tune into that league and it would be a huge blow to lose him. That said it's possibly move anyway once his contract is up anyway. Not even in today's game can I see a club pay 700 million euros when they can get him free at some point.

I'll be honest, the whole thing seemed like a political move to me from Messi to get changes to happen at Barca but reading more into it it seems like Messi wants to leave. As a pure football fan, I'd love to see him in the Premiership. 

21 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Not even in today's game can I see a club pay 700 million euros when they can get him free at some point.

No chance, especially at 33.
Neymar €222 at 25 means that they can have him for 3-5 years and then get a chunk of that fee back again.

Whatever is spent on Messi is gone forever. €100m like the fee Juve paid for Ronaldo at 33 seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The date has clearly passed, Messi’s argument is that the date should be extended because the season was extended.  There is nothing to suggest the clause should move  relative to the season ending so he’s certainly clutching at straws. He can’t pick and choose which parts of his contract are open to interpretation and which are not.

Apparently he has not gone in today for annual pre-season medical. Does that mean he shouldn’t be paid? If he gives up a weeks wages then that’s £1.7m.

Its a bit of a shitty move tbh to force through a free transfer from a club who have been paying him obscene wages for over a decade. Fair enough put a transfer request in if you want to move and give up your percentage of the transfer fee. Worst case he stays one more year and picks up another £90m. 

I dunno, it would have been shitter of him to have requested a free transfer when they still hadn't returned to playing from the lockdown when the clause in the contract was due to expire.  How Barcelona ever got themselves into this mess I have no idea.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I dunno, it would have been shitter of him to have requested a free transfer when they still hadn't returned to playing from the lockdown when the clause in the contract was due to expire.  How Barcelona ever got themselves into this mess I have no idea.

He wants to move for free so he can get even richer.

If there’s a fee then it’ll reduce what he can ask for. I bet he will be asking for £30-£50m signing fee then £500k+ a week. 

He wants to direct all the money from Man City to himself and ensure Barcelona get nothing.

The date on his contract has passed, if he wants to move then request transfer is fair. If he kicks off because they won’t let him go for free them it’s pretty low. 

Edited by Genie

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

If there’s a fee then it’ll reduce what he can ask for. I bet he will be asking for £30-£50m signing fee then £500k+ a week. 

He wants to direct all the money from Man City to himself and ensure Barcelona get nothing.

The date on his contract has passed, if he wants to move then request transfer is fair. If he kicks off because they won’t let him go for free them it’s pretty low. 

I'd be very surprised if he wouldn't be wealthier by just half-arsing a last season on what he currently earns for Barca.  

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think that's harsh

He wants to move on a free because he knows no one is paying for him, Ronaldo was 100m€, out of reluctance to sell barca will probably want more, that's not happening 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's harsh

He wants to move on a free because he knows no one is paying for him, Ronaldo was 100m€, out of reluctance to sell barca will probably want more, that's not happening 

Maybe a tad harsh, but he could force a paid transfer if he wanted, he seems to want to have his cake and eat it. 

He seems to handle his business completely differently to Ronaldo. Christiano got out of United and Real Madrid by having professional, private conversations with the chiefs. Messi has had strops at the Argentinian national side as well as his annual “I’m not happy” at Barcelona.

He’s under contract on ridiculous terms. If he wants out of that then he needs to have grown up conversations with them and come up with something that suits both parties.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's harsh

Also Barca must have accepted putting a clause in that made this possible, it's just the timing of it has gone a bit skewiff due to the virus.  La Liga seem to want their cake and to eat it regarding when the end of the season is, they extend it and expect the players and clubs to jump through hoops to get their TV commitments but then a player is denied the chance to use a clause that was obviously written in for when the season was due to end.

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Also Barca must have accepted putting a clause in that made this possible, it's just the timing of it has gone a bit skewiff due to the virus.  La Liga seem to want their cake and to eat it regarding when the end of the season is, they extend it and expect the players and clubs to jump through hoops to get their TV commitments but then a player is denied the chance to use a clause that was obviously written in for when the season was due to end.

What about if the clubs stopped paying players during the period where there were no games? Or if they paid them a reduced amount because of the clubs lost revenue due to lost ticked sales?

Of course, a contract is a contract and they must be paid in full regardless because that part of the contract is non-negotiable.

If Messi wanted out on a free he should have made it clear within the contracted time scale. He didn’t do it so he should take it on the chin like a man and either stick it out, or start negotiating a move with the club.

Edited by Genie

Â