The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

14 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Is Zidane legit?   His record is astonishing right now, three full seasons and two half seasons at Madrid and he's got three Champions Leagues and two Spanish titles.  For a long time I wondered how much he actually had to do with it because that squad is probably good enough to win stuff regardless of who is in charge, but then he leaves at Madrid shit the bed, he comes back and they win the league again.   If it took him twenty years to win that much he'd be seen as an extremely successful manager, he's pulled it off in 200 games. 

They said he has a ridiculous stat of winning a trophy every 14 or 15 games since he became Real manager

He is underrated as he goes under the radar on purpose, opposite of Klopp or Mourinho who desperate for attention. He doesn't act a madman on the touchline and is quite humble about his ability. The players love him but he also has a pretty sharp tactical IQ

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Zidane speak English, does he speak English? I’m wondering what the chances of seeing him in the PL are (maybe successor to Pep?).

He doesn't. Its why the United rumours made zero sense

He will probably go Juventus or take French job next

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He doesn't. Its why the United rumours made zero sense

He will probably go Juventus or take French job next

Pfff only 3 fluent languages, talk about lazy. 😉 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Zidane speak English, does he speak English? I’m wondering what the chances of seeing him in the PL are (maybe successor to Pep?).

I'd be very surprised.  I think he's lived in Madrid for nearly twenty years, he's a multi millionaire and given what he's achieved at Real as a player and a manager he's probably got a job for life there.  I'm not sure why he'd move to a country he's never been to before, it's not like he's got any unfulfilled ambitions left given he's won everything at club and international level as a player and club level as a manager.   Maybe he takes the France job one day but I'd be surprised to see him at any club other than Real. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

After being screwed by the league, hopefully Leganes stay up

They were unlucky at the end, had some good chances but couldn't stay composed enough.

One thing Zidane has done well is make Real Madrid really strong at the back again. They gave away so many joke goals last season whereas this season it's Barca who have been poor in defence and think that was the difference in the end.

Happy Real Sociedad made europe. Would've been criminal given the football they've played this season for them to finish 8th or 9th which was possible due to a couple of bad results since restart.

Getafe were cheated though. Ref on VAR cost them two good goals last night (and Levante also had an onside goal ruled out).

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Deportivo La Coruna now playing in the third tier of Spanish football.

Sad to see their continued decline as they had some brilliant teams in the 90s and early part of 2000s before the money all ran out.

I watched them beat us at Villa Park in ‘93. They were quality back then.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Oviedo get bought allegedly a few years back by one of the worlds richest men in Carlos Slim, if true he hasnt offered anything to them as not offered financially

I see from table Racing have been relegated but worse Deportivo are going down, I know they have struggled for a while but this is probably worse slump by any recent top team

Correct as of 2012 he has had a controlling stake and I think helped them in avoiding bankruptcy but it definitely appears like he isn't throwing money at them. I'm far from an expert on the subject though.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sad to see their continued decline as they had some brilliant teams in the 90s and early part of 2000s before the money all ran out.

They went down in suspicious manner as well, game called off because of the virus. Albacete team above them won with an 89th minute penalty away to the champions. 

Mallorca went down to 3rd not long ago and made it back to La Liga swiftly though think were just relegated again

Edited by Zatman

20 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I'd be very surprised.  I think he's lived in Madrid for nearly twenty years, he's a multi millionaire and given what he's achieved at Real as a player and a manager he's probably got a job for life there.  I'm not sure why he'd move to a country he's never been to before, it's not like he's got any unfulfilled ambitions left given he's won everything at club and international level as a player and club level as a manager.   Maybe he takes the France job one day but I'd be surprised to see him at any club other than Real. 

as the messi criticism shows there are plenty of people who cant understand that completely sound logic

• 4 weeks later...

As expected Henry has popped up as a potential name to take over at Barca :D 

The players don't want a strong manager, they want a comfortable life and someone to take the blame if/when it fails.

Guys like Xavi and Koeman are likely smart enough to stay away until the mess is sorted to not be dragged down with a potential president change.

This has been coming for years. Barca transfers have been a joke since losing Neymar (they'll probably waste next 6 weeks trying to buy him back now).

Spent nearly 300m on Coutinho, Dembele and Greizmann. 6 of their 11 last night were over 30.

They remind me of where Man. United were a few months after SAF retired with a very ageing and demotivated team and only now 7 years on do they have a reasonably exciting young squad that can improve further.

Can see Barca being in for a barren few years especially as Messi will probably leave soon.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 22:35, VillaChris said:

I had a depor shirt from around this time, absolutely loved Diego Tristan and Juan Carlos Valeron. I've always had a soft spot for them. Sad to see them decline like this 

• Like 2

On 15/08/2020 at 21:09, Mjvilla said:

I had a depor shirt from around this time, absolutely loved Diego Tristan and Juan Carlos Valeron. I've always had a soft spot for them. Sad to see them decline like this 

One of my best friends follows them (he's also a proper Villa fan). They've had some cracking players over the years.

Rivaldo was fantastic for the one season he was there. Roy Makaay used to bang em in on Eurogoals on Eurosport every week.

• Like 1

David Silva signing for Real Sociedad is muppet level, what a replacement for Odegaard.

In last 12 months they've signed Odegaard, Nacho Monreal, Isak, Portu and now David Silva. Get in the europa and have the Copa del rey final pending v Bilbao.

Wish we could do a transfer year like that one day.

Â